CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

RaceHorse CL65 1M @ 189 MPH & 1.5M @ 200 MPH!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
CL65
RaceHorse CL65 1M @ 189 MPH & 1.5M @ 200 MPH!!!

I have always wanted to do a 1 mile event so when the Super Car class was offered up in Maine, It caught my attention. No cage is required, and minimal safety equipment is needed considering the risk. Only problem was it is over 600 miles away.
See link for full rules: http://www.loringtiming.com

I registered for the event and read up on Exotic Metal's Texas Mile CL55 build from a few years ago. Same body, with a totally different motor, but both platforms battle heat, generating high IATs. My mods have always been pretty basic, not to take away from what the car is. I had a 6 gallon round trunk tank made to fit with or without the spare to maintain trunk space. I added a Meziere W136 up front and a Rule 2000 in tank. I wasn't looking to re-invent the wheel since it has worked for so many 55 guys. I did add valves to remove the trunk tank and run coolant for winter months thru the Mez. up front. Other Mods include a Supplemental heat exchange, Speedriven catless downpipes and Eurocharged ECU/TCU. I have also made my own intake setup off the turbos with 4" silicone fittings and rigid flex with cone filters. the stock filter setup became a choke point once the down pipes went on. A limited slip in the rear helps to get the power down.

Now the fun part. The Super Car class is limited to 1 mile and 175 MPH. They place a huge emphasis on safety. Rookies are to complete 125,150 before attempting the 175 limit.

I ended up gradually going faster, and over stepped the limits. Nothing was said as I continued to shut down after the mile. Then it was time for my last run and I was ready to leave, the last of the ice went in to top off the tank and the filters were off from a few previous runs. I went all out, just barely missing 190 MPH in the mile at 189.59 MPH. I continued to the 1.5 mark without letting up. I saw 203 MPH on the speedo!!! Then the tack dropped. I felt like the old 155 speed limiter, but everything was okay. The slip came back as 200.94 MPH! The organizers weren't all happy, but many others came up to congratulate me and take a closer look at the car. Could it have been the rev limiter at the top of 5th?

All said and done, this was one of the coolest things I have done with the car. I highly recommend it at least once. I know, a few pics or it didn't happen. I have some GO Pro footage, but its not the greatest. I'll try to add later this week.

BAD:Not the easiest to launch with no prep
GOOD: No broken parts

Looking out into no where.

Swapping stock size tires&wheels on the rear and bumping pressure up to 60PSI too much float with the 305's.. My crew just turning their back on me.

Quickest passes.

My rig on departure, I lettered up the trailer to look like a rental.

Last edited by RaceHorse; 04-27-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
Congrats!! 200 MPH is flying and perfect to tackle with the 65 platform!!
Love your crew even though they turned their back on you!!
Old 04-26-2015, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Awesome story!! Congrats on the double ton that's amazing....
Old 04-26-2015, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
Very impressive, congrats!
Old 04-27-2015, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
05 CL65
Awesome, just awesome.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W215 CL65
Wow, thats crazy! Congrats man!! How did it feel at those speeds?
Old 04-27-2015, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Congrats, car is hauling mail. Love the crew!
Old 04-27-2015, 10:42 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 292 Likes on 241 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
IMPRESSIVE!!!!!!! I attend the Texas Mile almost every year and I know how hard it is to go 189 mph
Old 04-27-2015, 03:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CL65
I call BS with no video! The "crew" is prob a photoshop as well...j/k, awesome job cuz
Old 04-27-2015, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL65
Originally Posted by Havoc
Congrats!! 200 MPH is flying and perfect to tackle with the 65 platform!!
Love your crew even though they turned their back on you!!
Hey thanks, and yes 200 MPH is fying, what looks like a long runway gets chewed up quick!!! The crew was great considering an 11 hr ride there, a day in the truck watching and another 11 hr return trip. Atleast, they did get some lap time (my lap) when everyone was driving the runway to dry the track Saturday morning.

Originally Posted by Newzchspy
Awesome story!! Congrats on the double ton that's amazing....
Thank You, I'm glad you liked it, I know I certainly did.

Originally Posted by Worth the wait
Very impressive, congrats!
Thank you, it surprised many. It was what I hoped for but nothing is ever a guarantee. LOL

Originally Posted by Dr Matt
Awesome, just awesome.
Thanks, Now you know what you are capable of.

Originally Posted by adamls2
Wow, thats crazy! Congrats man!! How did it feel at those speeds?
It was a short period of time and I was only holding it straight avoid too much movement. All in all, the weight is needed for the speed to keep it planted, the stock suspension did its job.

Originally Posted by V12Godspeed
Congrats, car is hauling mail. Love the crew!
Thank you, maybe this is reason to hang on to yours.....They do a mile in Miami don't they??? LOL

Originally Posted by shardul
IMPRESSIVE!!!!!!! I attend the Texas Mile almost every year and I know how hard it is to go 189 mph
Hey thanks, just another .41 MPH would have been nice to say 190 MPH, I may round up.

Originally Posted by 02cl55amg
I call BS with no video! The "crew" is prob a photoshop as well...j/k, awesome job cuz
Not knowing when I was approaching, my wife got wonderful video of the clouds, If I can figure out how to edit the GOPRO, I'll try to post something worth watching. I have footage of the last 1 mile only then the 1.5 mile, but the camera fell out of being wedged in the sunroof shade at 193 MPH I looked down when it happened. Sadly camera placement was not well thought out and should have been placed on my chest for the speedo. Maybe next time.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:51 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 s65. Ford Excursion 6.0. Pontiac GTO convertible. Porsche 944 Turbo SCCA car. Wife-E550 and 968
Congrats man... wish I could have been there. sounds like you kicked some ***. Let me guess, the guy Tim who organized the event loved your car, but the old guy at Tech was real grumpy, right?
Old 04-28-2015, 04:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL65
Originally Posted by Zax63
Congrats man... wish I could have been there. sounds like you kicked some ***. Let me guess, the guy Tim who organized the event loved your car, but the old guy at Tech was real grumpy, right?

Hey thanks, I was very happy with the car's performance. Yes, your description of the two guys mentioned is spot on. However, I do understand tech needs to do there jobs. A mishap at these speeds is unforgiving.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:01 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2006 CL55 AMG
Congrats RaceHorse !! Your now an elite member. Will the 305 tire fit without rubbing on my 06 CL55 AMG ? If yes, what brand and model #.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Very kool brutha!!! That's def "Bucket List content right there!"
Old 04-28-2015, 08:26 AM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
SL65 R230
Congratulations!

Now you have also experienced the "whole capability" of these cars.

At 200,94 MPH you are still away from the rev-limiter. But maybe your speed limiter is not completely removed and was only set higher (because of tires etc)

Do you have datalogs from your run? I assume your timing was pulled because of high IATs and at these speeds when power goes down significantly it is like you step on the brakes. I have also experienced this on my car at full speed.

My current record in the SL65 is 209,40 MPH , 337 KM/H - measured with GPS on the German Autobahn.

Was your High-Speed Run done with the Grill removed like the picture on the trailer? This would cost a lot of MPH IMHO.

Always be safe at these speeds!

Last edited by AMG-Driver; 04-28-2015 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 103 Posts
2003 SL55,2020 GTC ,2017 GTS sold ,2002 G500 Sold,2003 SL500 Sold,
There's prob a whole months worth of insects you took out making that run,congrats ,that's scary fast
Old 04-28-2015, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL65
Originally Posted by principledchiro
Congrats RaceHorse !! Your now an elite member. Will the 305 tire fit without rubbing on my 06 CL55 AMG ? If yes, what brand and model #.
Thanks, It is a pretty cool thing to say and have proof to back it up. the 305s will fit with very little rub on real big dips or if the car is loaded or lowered too much. Correct offset is critical for proper placement in the wheel well. I have a set of stock 19" wheels that were widened 1". I added 0.5"/25MM spacers to split the difference for fitment. They are a 305/30/19, common 911 size. I know others like 305/25/20s but again the offset is critical, but can be done to center the wheel perfectly in the space available. In or out too far will be a problem. I hope that helps

Originally Posted by Thericker
Very kool brutha!!! That's def "Bucket List content right there!"
Hey thanks, and you are totally right, I gotta slow down, I'm gonna have to start adding more to the bucket before nothing is left.

Originally Posted by AMG-Driver
Congratulations!

Now you have also experienced the "whole capability" of these cars.

At 200,94 MPH you are still away from the rev-limiter. But maybe your speed limiter is not completely removed and was only set higher (because of tires etc)

Do you have datalogs from your run? I assume your timing was pulled because of high IATs and at these speeds when power goes down significantly it is like you step on the brakes. I have also experienced this on my car at full speed.

My current record in the SL65 is 209,40 MPH , 337 KM/H - measured with GPS on the German Autobahn.

Was your High-Speed Run done with the Grill removed like the picture on the trailer? This would cost a lot of MPH IMHO.

Always be safe at these speeds!
Hey thanks, I was told with the tuning, the limiter was totally removed. Maybe the ECU didn't like something, no CEL but the gas pedal went dead with 203 mph indicated on the center digital display, just after crossing the 1.5 mile mark. Even though, I don't do any data logging, (although I should), I know my intake temps were well maintained, based on the temp of the water in my 6 gallon trunk tank. Ice would melt after a pass but the volume of water remained cool. The best run was hot lapped, no shut down or additional ice and the car performed just fine. I ran with a very thin black mesh grill to allow the air filters better flow for the earlier runs before removing. It may have had a slight impact, but when running WOT I want a lot of air cooling the heat exchanges, radiators and tranny coolers.

Originally Posted by cnterline
There's prob a whole months worth of insects you took out making that run,congrats ,that's scary fast
Thanks, as long as it wasn't a moose or anything bigger than an insect, otherwise it wouldn't get spit out of the exhaust.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:00 AM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
SL65 R230
Originally Posted by RaceHorse

Hey thanks, I was told with the tuning, the limiter was totally removed. Maybe the ECU didn't like something, no CEL but the gas pedal went dead with 203 mph indicated on the center digital display, just after crossing the 1.5 mile mark. Even though, I don't do any data logging, (although I should), I know my intake temps were well maintained, based on the temp of the water in my 6 gallon trunk tank. Ice would melt after a pass but the volume of water remained cool. The best run was hot lapped, no shut down or additional ice and the car performed just fine. I ran with a very thin black mesh grill to allow the air filters better flow for the earlier runs before removing. It may have had a slight impact, but when running WOT I want a lot of air cooling the heat exchanges, radiators and tranny coolers.
Ahh, o.k. - Datalogging would be very helpful to analyze what happened at the end of the run, because these ECU's are very smart to protect the engine.

There are a lot of factors which can make the ECU pull back timing or lower the boost or not let the throttle open fully - e.g. engine oil temperature, tranny oil temperature, detected knocking, exhaust temperature etc.

Nevertheless, your car runs healthy!
Old 04-29-2015, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
06 e55,81SC Targa,08 CLK63 BLK,91 E34 M5
dang
Old 04-29-2015, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 265 Posts
2006 S600
Sounds like the best day out ever.

Nick
Old 04-29-2015, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CL65
How do you find these events. I have never found any track in Canada that is more than 1/4 mile.. I live in Alberta and they just shut the track down in Calgary a few years ago. I am willing to take a week off and go down if I can get a couple days in at a 1+ mile event. Is there a schedule or list of tracks/airfields that offer this?

Let me know.. I dont think I would be willing to go much further than the NorthWest..

Thanks and great run (sorry if this is kind of a thread jack)..
Old 04-29-2015, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL65
Originally Posted by Welwynnick
Sounds like the best day out ever.

Nick
That's exactly how I felt, it was a great thrill to make a few pulls over 185 and then finally sprint passed 200 MPH

Originally Posted by eaks
How do you find these events. I have never found any track in Canada that is more than 1/4 mile.. I live in Alberta and they just shut the track down in Calgary a few years ago. I am willing to take a week off and go down if I can get a couple days in at a 1+ mile event. Is there a schedule or list of tracks/airfields that offer this?

Let me know.. I dont think I would be willing to go much further than the NorthWest..

Thanks and great run (sorry if this is kind of a thread jack)..
This was such a fun event, do a search for "land speed event". There are not many but people travel (our) the country participating in different areas. There are forums and the event I went to was locating in Limestone, Maine. They are having 2 more events this year, see the link if you are interested or look on the forums for where other events may be taking place.

http://www.loringtiming.com/
Old 04-29-2015, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL65
A link with pics to some of the rides at the event:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3687995&type=1
Old 04-30-2015, 08:12 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Rich, Congradulations!!! 189mph is huge and it can take around 700 RWHP to make that kind of speed in the standing mile!! Amazing how smooth and stable these cars are at these speeds?

I know how addicting running the mile can be, so if you go back, PM me and have a few tips to add a few more MPH. Our Texas mile runs couple times a year and always a blast to hang out and race there. Very Addicting !

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 05-02-2015, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL65
Hey thanks, feel free to share what ever tricks/tips you have here, or PM. The hardest part was getting past 75 without wheel spin. As boost builds its not hard to push right into rolling burnouts. There were decent head winds for the last few pulls as a good ol' American Flag remained straight out for proof. I can't complain, I ran stock turbos, stock intercoolers, full weight, no tape and mirrors still on & out. That's how I drive the car so that was how I ran it( but I did yank filters). As you can see, the Eurocharged Tune was very user friendly with race gas. Who knows if I'll do it again, for now I'll enjoy it around town for the summer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RaceHorse CL65 1M @ 189 MPH & 1.5M @ 200 MPH!!!