CLA 45 Arrives Oct 30 - Nov 3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 09:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2020 Cla 45 AMG
CLA 45 Arrives Oct 30 - Nov 3

Hello All,

TLDR; Bought 2014 cla right when they came out (ordered from Germany) drove for 6 years. Loved it, despite bad press but she finally got banged up to bad and time to move on. Pretty much fully speced 2020 cla 45 am (minus a few things) on the way in two weeks or so. I have already ordered a bunch of light mods and want some feedback and suggestions. I noticed the 2020 AMG 45 thread is a bit bare so maybe this can help.

I have been checking out the forums since I bought my 2014 Cla. I ordered it from a dealership back in 2014 and overall really enjoyed the car. Despite all the bad press on the car it was my first big boy car purchase so it was fun car.

Over 6 years, I ran it into the ground although she still looks amazing on the outside. My plan was keep her and buy a new decked out Jeep Wrangler as a weekender. That plan changed when my car was broken into in what I would consider to be a highly highly secure area. They robbed me blind. A week later there was a literal half of a vehicle sitting in the middle of my local interstate. A car swerved in front of me and I did not have as much time to react. Got away pretty clean but just more damage.

And that was the final straw. Time to move on.

I spent a few weeks looking over other forums and looking at other cars. I know this may not be a popular opinion but I was left less than starstruck by the current line up of new vehicles on the market. I am aware there are faster and even better looking cars but nothing connected like the 45 AMG. I went and saw one in show room and it was def a holy **** moment considering I had spent 6 years seeing what gen 1 of the car was like. I am telling you, I know every nook and cranny of the first gen cla and (as Mercedes has stated) far as I could tell this is just an entirely different car.

Went to a dealership I have a good working relationship and ordered the 2021 Cla 45 a week or so later.

First a big disclaimer, I am not a major car guy. I love cars. I always research and keep up on them but I am clueless other than what the internet can teach me. I have some minor mods and upgrades in the work (some professional and some I may try). I use the phrase mods lightly, as in one upgrade is floor mats lmao.

The Build:

Color: Polar White
Body: Aero and Night Package
Connivence/Safety: Assistance Package (can park it self or some ****, never going to use and the 360 cameras), AC/Heated seats, Garage door opener, Gesture control, Burmester sound, wireless hanging.
Styling: Illuminated star, AMG Design Trim, Steering wheel that does not have the yellow band, Leather package, 19” Inch cross spoke rims, illuminated door sills, mirror logo projector.

Upgrades/Mods:

Keys: Something I always loved about a Benz was the keys. I have had at least valet homies and other people comment about the case on my 2014 benz keys. If that does not display my motivation... found this gem. Look at the rendering. Not sure why they do not have the keychain linked together in the picture. Company is called Pimpmyev who makes it.

Mats: Anyone have these?

Rear View Mirror: This is the best I have seen so far. Any advice on wiring or on another product?

Radar Detector: I have been looking around for a few months. So many options. So many price points. Any advice? I am not going to be street racing just something that does a good job.

Window Tint: We have an excellent window tinted in our area that I have used before. All cut by machine. He is going to put ceramic tint on. I also am going to give the 3m body film on the door sills and door handle wells to try the product out. If I like it then I will put it on the front of the car and the sides.

Provide any advice or suggested mods.

I will update with pictures when she gets here.

Thanks!

Old 10-20-2020, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,000 Likes on 586 Posts
N/A
If you want a built-in dashcam, that's a new option for 2021 that you can add to the build.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:17 PM

2020 Cla 45 AMG
Originally Posted by Eaton
If you want a built-in dashcam, that's a new option for 2021 that you can add to the build.
Interesting you say that! I asked my guy at the dealership about just that. The car is already built so are you referring to aftermarket?

At the time in August, they stated it was not possible from the factory.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,000 Likes on 586 Posts
N/A
Originally Posted by Atticous
Interesting you say that! I asked my guy at the dealership about just that. The car is already built so are you referring to aftermarket?

At the time in August, they stated it was not possible from the factory.
If you optioned the car with the multimedia package, the hardware is there for it to work. Whether MBUSA will allow activation is currently not known, but third-parties are coming out with activation options for the feature.
Also an option on the build page (see towards the bottom): https://www.mbusa.com/en/vehicles/bu...tegory=options
The following users liked this post:
Atticous (10-20-2020)
Old 12-18-2020, 08:24 PM

2020 Cla 45 AMG

The following 4 users liked this post by Atticous:
dcpatters (12-18-2020), friguy3 (12-25-2020), USCAMG (12-20-2020), Zee$ (12-21-2020)
Old 12-18-2020, 08:27 PM

2020 Cla 45 AMG
Got here a little later than expected.

she turned out really nice. My only complaint is the break-in period because I want to floor it. You can still feel the power even keeping it within the parameters of the break in period.

The interior is insane.

I will say, when you walk around the car and view all the angles it generally looks stunning. However, if you view the car close up and are looking down on the car it does have a few unflattering angles. I upgraded to this from a Cla 250. This car feels much much larger.
Old 12-19-2020, 07:21 PM

2020 Cla 45 AMG
Follow up to this.

One thing that is amazing is the suspension. Going straight from a 2014 CLA 250 to this, you can tell the 2021 45 amg ride is so much more smooth while still being extremely tight and responsive.

If you guys have any questions on anything then happy to answer!
Old 12-19-2020, 07:33 PM

2020 Cla 45 AMG
The floor mats are not as amazing as what Youtube reviewers said. They are nice but just not what I was lead to believe. They came with a lot of creases which will not come out based on how they were shipped.

They key protector is amazing quality.
Old 12-20-2020, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 366 Likes on 303 Posts
1991 190E 2.3
Make sure you follow all of the break in procedures. If you do, you'll have a car you can enjoy for years to come. Great pictures. I wish you many happy miles.
Old 12-20-2020, 06:56 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
CLA45
I can't comment on the key thing as that's not my style but I had very good luck with the mats for my Supra and GT3. Mine came in a large box and flat so that may have made a difference.

Here is a picture of them in my Supra.

I will not get them for my CLA45 though, I'm going in a different direction on it.

Old 12-21-2020, 12:51 AM
ozo

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2021 CLA 45 AMG, Subaru WRX STI
The floor mats are not as amazing as what Youtube reviewers said. They are nice but just not what I was lead to believe. They came with a lot of creases which will not come out based on how they were shipped.

They key protector is amazing quality.
Let me know if the creases end up coming out at all.

I like the look of them but agree, definitely wouldn’t be siked they were all creases.

I assume they wouldn’t be a great choice for Winter, from the looks of them?

What did you have in mind instead USC?
Old 12-22-2020, 10:03 PM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 E400 Coupe
Follow up to this.

If you guys have any questions on anything then happy to answer!
is the ride comfortable or back breaking over crappy roads?
Old 12-29-2020, 05:45 PM

2020 Cla 45 AMG
What direction are you going?

I installed my leather mats about a week ago and overall I am happy with them but not as great as I expected.
Old 12-29-2020, 05:49 PM

2020 Cla 45 AMG
Creases did not come out.

I actually spent some time inverting the floor mats and trying to work them out too.

Winter is not a thing in Texas haha.

New issue. Clearly cannot put in a girl in the passenger side with heels on. Just the basic pressure of her getting out of the car left a few noticeable indentions in the mats which have not come out yet and its been five days. She is not exactly heavy either.

Old 12-29-2020, 05:51 PM

2020 Cla 45 AMG
Well I have to give you context, my last car was the cla 250 and it was a brutal ride.

This thing to me feels quite smooth. I mean you still are going to get the very sport feel since its a low to the ground sports car but its not that bad.

Also the city I live in has easily the bumpiest-pot hole filled roads in any city I have lived in.
Old 06-12-2021, 07:26 PM

2020 Cla 45 AMG
Although I disagree with your choice of style you would have been correct either way with functionality hahah.

The key cover blocks the signal like no other. DO NOT BUY.

Replacing with a leather or rubber cover.
Old 06-12-2021, 07:27 PM

2020 Cla 45 AMG
Originally Posted by USCAMG
I can't comment on the key thing as that's not my style but I had very good luck with the mats for my Supra and GT3. Mine came in a large box and flat so that may have made a difference.

I will not get them for my CLA45 though, I'm going in a different direction on it.

Although I disagree with your choice of style you would have been correct either way with functionality hahah.

The key cover blocks the signal like no other. DO NOT BUY.

Replacing with a leather or rubber cover.
Old 06-12-2021, 07:30 PM

2020 Cla 45 AMG
Originally Posted by USCAMG

Originally Posted by ozo
Let me know if the creases end up coming out at all.

I like the look of them but agree, definitely wouldn’t be siked they were all creases.

I assume they wouldn’t be a great choice for Winter, from the looks of them?

What did you have in mind instead USC?
I am in over 6 months with the floor mats and creases either came out or you just cannot see them.

The mats clean very easily with a basic vacuum and wipe down. When I take the car in to be cleaned they look brand new. I Imagine if I remove them and do a deep clean after a year they will remain perfect. Very good quality.

still the issue with dress shoe, girls high-heel marks, etc... but they seem to come out after a week or so.

Would recommend.
Old 06-12-2021, 07:31 PM

2020 Cla 45 AMG
Originally Posted by Harold1898
is the ride comfortable or back breaking over crappy roads?
Changed my mind here after I saw how well these things hold up after months of use.