CLA 45 AMG (C118) 2019 to Present

Help with Sound System!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
clk320
Help with Sound System!

New forum member here. Sorry if this is already posted but my new 2021 CLA45 has a horrible factory sound system. I appreciate if anyone has input on any upgrades.
Old 06-14-2021, 12:03 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Merc
Do you have the Burmester system? I have a car arriving in a couple months and I also want to make improvements to the system. To me not only is the sound quality very "meh" but it's also not that loud.
Old 06-15-2021, 09:43 AM

clk320
No it is stock system, Harman Kardon.
Old 06-15-2021, 10:15 AM

Merc
I wonder which one sounds better... the base system or Burmester. Because people tend to not like the Burmester either.
Old 06-19-2021, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLA 45
I can’t imagine anything worst than the base system, my wife even made a comment on CLA45 sound quality! Keep us posted with your own experience.
Old 07-01-2021, 07:31 PM

2008 BMW E92 M3
I have the upgraded Burmester sound system and it is trash. It is not loud and it lacks bass even with a dedicated sub in the trunk.

I added in a JBL BassPro Nano powered sub right next to the stock sub as it fits nicely into the empty space. The bass is noticeably better, but the speakers are still trash.

What is more annoying than the crappy speakers is that my doors rattle at certain bass frequencies. This happened with the stock system before I added the sub and I think I've narrowed it down to the aluminum trim surrounding the door handle. Does anyone else have this issue and tried to fix it with Dynamat or something else?

Last edited by dkl14; 07-01-2021 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-01-2021, 07:40 PM

Merc
Originally Posted by dkl14
I have the upgraded Burmester sound system and it is trash. It is not loud and it lacks bass even with a dedicated sub in the trunk.

I added in a JBL BassPro Nano powered sub right next to the stock sub as it fits nicely into the empty space. The bass is noticeably better, but the speakers are still trash.

What is more annoying than the crappy speakers is that my doors rattle at certain bass frequencies. I think I've narrowed it down to the aluminum trim surrounding the door handle. Does anyone else have this issue and tried to fix it with Dynamat or something else?

Can you please post how you connected your sub?
Old 07-01-2021, 07:47 PM

2008 BMW E92 M3
Originally Posted by crester
Can you please post how you connected your sub?
Tapped into the same output as the stock sub. I had it professionally installed at a local Best Buy.
Old 07-02-2021, 01:13 AM

Merc
Tapped into the same output as the stock sub. I had it professionally installed at a local Best Buy.
Ok... and did the power come straight from the battery? Or did they tap into a harness in the trunk?
Old 07-02-2021, 01:50 AM

2008 BMW E92 M3
Ok... and did the power come straight from the battery? Or did they tap into a harness in the trunk?
It is directly connected to the battery.
The following users liked this post:
crester (07-02-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 11:10 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
CLA45

What is more annoying than the crappy speakers is that my doors rattle at certain bass frequencies. This happened with the stock system before I added the sub and I think I've narrowed it down to the aluminum trim surrounding the door handle. Does anyone else have this issue and tried to fix it with Dynamat or something else?

Yep, I fixed it by getting rid of the car. Just too many rattles, buzzing, squeaks etc etc etc. The dealer starting every conversation with " well it is a CLA..." played one too many times and the car was traded-in while the market is still hot. Very happy to be rid of it.
Old 07-04-2021, 02:33 AM

Merc
Originally Posted by USCAMG
Yep, I fixed it by getting rid of the car. Just too many rattles, buzzing, squeaks etc etc etc. The dealer starting every conversation with " well it is a CLA..." played one too many times and the car was traded-in while the market is still hot. Very happy to be rid of it.
You sold your car because of rattles???
Old 09-15-2022, 04:49 PM

Merc
Can you see what wires they tapped into on the stock sub? I'm trying to do the same installation you have. When I look at the plug going into the stock sub I see FOUR wires... pink, green, blue and grey.
Old 05-11-2024, 07:57 PM

CLA45
I am also interested- my subwoofer (non burmester) appears to be dead

Can you see what wires they tapped into on the stock sub? I'm trying to do the same installation you have. When I look at the plug going into the stock sub I see FOUR wires... pink, green, blue and grey.
Old 05-18-2024, 10:07 AM

CLA45
dealer told me that speaker in the picture is for fake engine noise - on my car it makes no audio.

Old 05-18-2024, 10:55 AM

Merc
That's not true at all. The Speaker in the trunk is the subwoofer for the audio system.
Old 05-18-2024, 06:39 PM

CLA45
My car, the speaker in the trunk was producing no audio.

I took it to my local dealer. Dealer states that this is for "fake engine noise".

My GF drives a 2020 CLA250, she has the same speaker - it produces no bass or volume when cranked up. Has anyone else tested this? What exactly is this speaker in the back? Is the dealer BSing me?
Old 05-18-2024, 09:48 PM

Merc
Originally Posted by jdemusic
My car, the speaker in the trunk was producing no audio.

I took it to my local dealer. Dealer states that this is for "fake engine noise".

My GF drives a 2020 CLA250, she has the same speaker - it produces no bass or volume when cranked up. Has anyone else tested this? What exactly is this speaker in the back? Is the dealer BSing me?
Play some music with a lot of bass and put your hand on it to see if you feel anything. Then unplug the speaker and see if anything changes.