Notices
CLA 45 AMG (C118) 2019 to Present

Future AMG CLA 45 owner - Question for current generation owners.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 03:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E220 CDi
Future AMG CLA 45 owner - Question for current generation owners.

Greetings people,

I'm considering the AMG CLA 45 for 2022. The added options I'm interested in are: 19-inch black 5-twin-spoke wheels, mountain-grey, night-package, burmester speakers & panoramic ceiling. I've spent the past few weeks learning about the car; I've watched many hours of videos, read many reviews & forum posts and I think I now know quite a lot about the car.

However, there's one thing that I didn't find any thorough info on, and that matters a lot to me:
So basically, how does it feel driving it on a daily basis in comfort mode? How stiff is the suspension? How bumpy does it feel with the 19-inch wheels? Do potholes tend to shake you, do they make your head hit the ceiling? Would you describe it generally uncomfortable to drive it every day to work? Would you say it's not that different from a non-AMG Merc or do you find it equally comfortable as a non-AMG Merc?

I have found some reviews on the previous CLA 45 generation (2016 & 2017 models) and they speak of bad-to-horrible experience when it comes to everyday use; not at all comfortable, very bumpy, potholes are your enemy, stuff like that. That's why I'm interested in how the 2020+ generation behaves.

I drive a Merc E220 CDi from 2006 and it's as smooth as a boat on a lake. I have never driven a performance car, or a small performance car like the CLA 45 and as much as I'm excited to learn how to drive it like it's meant to, I can't neglect the fact that the remaining 90% of the time I will use it to drive around in the city-traffic. So I fear I will regret my decision if it turns out to be a car not comfortable for everyday rides.

Please, if you own the car (or if you test-driven it), let me know about your experience and compare it if you can to your previous cars.

Thanks a lot folks,
Alex
Old 08-03-2021, 12:10 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Merc
I'm still waiting on my CLA45 so I can't comment on the new car suspension... but for sure it's not going to be as smooth as your older E-class. If you cruising daily comfort is a priority for you... maybe you should check out the C-class?

Why are you looking at the CLA45? I have a feeling the C43 might be more for you.
The following users liked this post:
AlexRossides (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 01:45 PM

Mercedes-Benz E220 CDi
Originally Posted by crester
I'm still waiting on my CLA45 so I can't comment on the new car suspension... but for sure it's not going to be as smooth as your older E-class. If you cruising daily comfort is a priority for you... maybe you should check out the C-class?

Why are you looking at the CLA45? I have a feeling the C43 might be more for you.
Hey friend thanks for the reply, I'm looking for a four-door car, that's why the CLA45 looks so tempting. Also, it is as high as I can go money-wise (the C43 is 6K higher at my dealership with the same options).

I wish they had it available for a test drive. I expect an AMG car to be a very different experience than my old E, but I can't know if it will be pleasantly-different or annoying-different, since I never drove anything like it. I’m very okay with the car being stiff and bumpy in Sport modes, but it will be nice to know if the Comfort mode makes it actually comfortable to drive!
Old 08-05-2021, 07:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2022 AMG CLA 35
Suggest you checkout the numerous YouTube videos covering the 2019+ model year C118 (both CLA 35 & CLA 45). Many of these full reviews, including "active driving" road tests and typically conclude that the standard suspension's "comfort mode" is still quite stiff on uneven/bumpy road surfaces; this is as expected for an AMG that favors performance and handling over quiet and comfort. Amongst these reviews I recommend the German auto press "Autogefuhl" reviews as they are quite in depth and technically oriented.

Many of these reviews recommend purchasing the optional automatic adaptive sport suspension that features three select-able of levels of damping bias (comfort, sport, sport+) that automatically track with your overall driving mode settings. The auto-adaptive damping allows the shock absorber damping to be vary (I believe up to hundreds of cycles per second, and individually for each wheel). This all works to enable a noticeably more comfortable ride, with lower tire noise intrusion, whenever you want to tone down the sportiness/stiffness of the standard suspension.The optional adaptive Sport Suspension with Adaptive Damping also benefits by lowering un-sprung weight for better compliance... I think it is a $990 option on both the CLA 35 and CLA 45.

Last edited by Todd R; 08-05-2021 at 07:26 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Todd R:
AlexRossides (08-05-2021), crester (08-05-2021), Docto (05-04-2022)
Old 08-05-2021, 07:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2021 AMG CLA 45S
I'm currently driving a 2021 CLA45S fitted with all the options you mentioned including the adaptive dampers.

I am pleased with the adaptive dampers in comfort mode for daily drive even with the 19 inch wheels, and in my opinion is something that you should go for.

I've sat in the previous generation of CLA45 (C117) and I can tell you the current C118 is a whole world of difference with the adaptive dampers.

The C117 is exactly like what you said, bumpy and it is not nice to be a daily driven car.

You can't go wrong with the adaptive dampers. In fact, I'd say if my budget only allows me to pick only 1 add-on, it will be the adaptive dampers.
The following 2 users liked this post by changchewsoon:
AlexRossides (08-05-2021), crester (08-05-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 09:43 AM

Mercedes-Benz E220 CDi
@Todd R @changchewsoon Can't thank both of you enough for the precious info. I will look into the "automatic adaptive sport suspension" option! It sounds mandatory for my case! Cheers friends!
Old 08-05-2021, 03:19 PM
ozo

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2021 CLA 45 AMG, Subaru WRX STI
Originally Posted by changchewsoon
I'm currently driving a 2021 CLA45S fitted with all the options you mentioned including the adaptive dampers.

I am pleased with the adaptive dampers in comfort mode for daily drive even with the 19 inch wheels, and in my opinion is something that you should go for.

I've sat in the previous generation of CLA45 (C117) and I can tell you the current C118 is a whole world of difference with the adaptive dampers.

The C117 is exactly like what you said, bumpy and it is not nice to be a daily driven car.

You can't go wrong with the adaptive dampers. In fact, I'd say if my budget only allows me to pick only 1 add-on, it will be the adaptive dampers.
I have a 2021 with adaptive dampers as well.

I 100% agree with what Changchew is saying. It makes a significant difference having the dampers in comfort mode.

I find the car comfortable and nice to drive as a daily in comfort mode. Then it really wakes / tightens up in sports / sports + / Race when you want to have some fun.

Don’t expect it to be as comfortable as a non-amg C or higher class MB obviously, but it’s perfectly acceptable imo.

All AMGs, and sports cars for the matter, are going to have stiffer suspensions by nature.
AlexRossides (08-06-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 02:31 AM

Mercedes-Benz E220 CDi
Originally Posted by ozo
Don’t expect it to be as comfortable as a non-amg C or higher class MB obviously, but it’s perfectly acceptable imo.
Hey ozo thanks man! About the above, does the same apply with a normal CLA or is it only for the AMG CLAs? I'm asking because I've recently driven the 2021 CLA 200 (AMG line) with the 18" wheels and I liked the experience quite a lot. It's very different from my E but in a good way. So, if the CLA45 in Comfort with the adaptive dampers is similar to how the CLA 200 behaves suspension-wise, then that's brilliant.
Old 08-06-2021, 03:40 AM
ozo

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2021 CLA 45 AMG, Subaru WRX STI
I cant speak in absolutes not knowing specifics, however I believe a standard CLA with an AMG line package is just slightly lowered and would not have actual sports suspension.

Perhaps your dealer has a c63 with adaptive dampers you can try? Or another smaller sized AMG? Not sure what else would give you a close experience to what you’d be buying.
AlexRossides (08-06-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 08:58 AM

Mercedes-Benz E220 CDi
Cheers man, I will visit them again in September and hopefully they have something available. Thanks again.