Why no driver and parking assistance packages?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None yet
Why no driver and parking assistance packages?

Of my 3 local dealers (Seattle area), they have 26 A220's however 0 include the driver assistance package and only 1 has the parking assistance package. I assume they're picking configurations that they feel have the best chance to sell so ... is it just people buying this car don't care for those features and, if so, is it because they're not worth it?
Old 05-17-2019, 10:36 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2022 C300 4Matic
I think it is cost. Dealers are assuming that A220 buyers do not want to pay for expensive options. Not sure how true that is. I found mine on the lot with the driving assistance package but did not have the parking package. I got most every other option also. The driving package is really nice and well worth the investment. It monitors cars around you and keeps everything at a safe distance. Everything comes down to cost.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:16 AM

None yet
Cool, thanks for your insights. I wondered about cost, too, but I see several configurations in the mid-40k range (same cost as the build I made with those options) but it's because they added things like AMG, interior lighting, etc. I guess the target audience (or so the dealers see/believe) prefer those options over the safety ones. I'm older so I'm probably not who they're mostly focused on. Oh well.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Buying One
I couldn't find anything close to the configuration so I ordered one (been 3+ months, still not close to delivery, some customers I'm told will have to wait 7 months or more).

I don't like features that assist with driving and/or parking because I prefer not to lose my driving skills and it's all part of the driving experience for me. I did opt for AMG, interior lighting, premium sound, etc. though.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 A220 4MATIC
I'm in Seattle as well and I ordered a car from MB Seattle after negotiating with them and Bellevue. I wanted all the tech packages as well, but not AMG Line. My sales guy said the car would be finished building at the end of April and then would take 45 days to ship, so that's mid June if nothing changes.

Having used Pilot Assist on a Volvo XC40, which does adaptive cruise control and lane keeping, this feature was a high priority for me in a new car.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:56 PM

2022 C300 4Matic
45 days to get from Mexico to Seattle! Sorry, not believing that part of the story.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:10 PM

None yet
The driver assistance I'm mostly looking at is the emergency stop assist. I'd just get that if it was a standalone option; I don't actually know how much I'd use all the rest. I drive in an area with a lot of pedestrians and even with me trying to pay attention they seem to pop out of nowhere sometimes (especially on dark and raining nights.)
I guess I'll have to see if this is truly worth it for me.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:31 PM

2022 C300 4Matic
You're in luck. Active Brake assist is standard equipment.
From MBusa:
Standard
"Active Brake Assist
Radar-based technology can alert you if you're approaching a vehicle ahead, or even some stationary objects, at a speed and distance that suggest a collision is likely. As soon as you start to brake, it can automatically provide an appropriate level of braking to help prevent a collision or reduce its severity. If you fail to respond, it can also initiate braking automatically at a range of driving speeds. The system can also detect and react to crossing pedestrians at typical city speeds."

Update: According to the Operator's Manual, without the Driving Assistance Package It looks like you would be missing automatic evasive steering, reaction to crossing vehicles and stationary pedestrians.

Last edited by Givmeabrek; 05-18-2019 at 11:38 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 05-18-2019, 12:49 PM

None yet
Ah, thanks for that. That makes things much easier.