2019 A220 (V177) - Map updates not automatic until first manual update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 02:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 A220 4MATIC
2019 A220 (V177) - Map updates not automatic until first manual update

So I was poking around the Mercedes me connect portal today and I discovered there are map updates for my car. I thought all map updates happened automatically over the air, but that's not entirely the case. When I click on the Online Map Update service, it says this:

Here you will find an overview of the map regions covered by your navigation system and the respective versions of the installed map and voice recognition data. You can have a region which is covered by the map data updated on a regular basis via the automatic map update function or you can select one or more regions and update these manually. For this purpose you will require a USB memory stick or an SD card with adequate capacity. Note: The voice recognition data for the respective map regions of your navigation system can only be updated by means of a manual map update.

Next, there is a section called "Region(s) for automatic map update" which currently just says "No automatic update." If I click on that, it shows a FAQ which includes the following:

What does Region(s) for automatic map update mean?
A navigation database is very large. To enable automatic updating and to reduce download times, a navigation database is divided into regions (typically countries).
A region must be selected in order to enable automatic updating of map data.

To change the region, click on the edit icon on the Online Map Update page and select the appropriate region from the list.
If a region is missing from the list, automatic updating cannot be activated. This means that the data in your vehicle will no longer be up-to-date. In this case, first carry out a manual update. You can then select your region.

You can then download map updates for specific regions across North America and store them on a USB drive. I'm going to try doing this tonight.

According to the Mercedes me connect site, all of my map regions are version 22, and the new map regions are version 260. Here's what the website shows for me right now:
Old 06-10-2019, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by ZacMatic
So I was poking around the Mercedes me connect portal today and I discovered there are map updates for my car. I thought all map updates happened automatically over the air, but that's not entirely the case. When I click on the Online Map Update service, it says this:

Here you will find an overview of the map regions covered by your navigation system and the respective versions of the installed map and voice recognition data. You can have a region which is covered by the map data updated on a regular basis via the automatic map update function or you can select one or more regions and update these manually. For this purpose you will require a USB memory stick or an SD card with adequate capacity. Note: The voice recognition data for the respective map regions of your navigation system can only be updated by means of a manual map update.

Next, there is a section called "Region(s) for automatic map update" which currently just says "No automatic update." If I click on that, it shows a FAQ which includes the following:

What does Region(s) for automatic map update mean?
A navigation database is very large. To enable automatic updating and to reduce download times, a navigation database is divided into regions (typically countries).
A region must be selected in order to enable automatic updating of map data.

To change the region, click on the edit icon on the Online Map Update page and select the appropriate region from the list.
If a region is missing from the list, automatic updating cannot be activated. This means that the data in your vehicle will no longer be up-to-date. In this case, first carry out a manual update. You can then select your region.

You can then download map updates for specific regions across North America and store them on a USB drive. I'm going to try doing this tonight.

According to the Mercedes me connect site, all of my map regions are version 22, and the new map regions are version 260. Here's what the website shows for me right now:
OTA map updates only apply to one region. You have to set which region you want, which you haven't done. But there are two other limitations (beyond only providing updates for one regions) to OTA updates. One is that you don't get voice recognition data, and the other is that you might wait weeks before the server "pushes" your update to your car.

It's much better to do a manual update. You download all the updated maps and extra data to a USB drive and then update the nav in the car from the drive. It works very well.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Buying One
Good information all, thanks!
Old 06-10-2019, 06:04 PM

2019 A220 4MATIC
Originally Posted by whoover
OTA map updates only apply to one region. You have to set which region you want, which you haven't done. But there are two other limitations (beyond only providing updates for one regions) to OTA updates. One is that you don't get voice recognition data, and the other is that you might wait weeks before the server "pushes" your update to your car.

It's much better to do a manual update. You download all the updated maps and extra data to a USB drive and then update the nav in the car from the drive. It works very well.
It won't let me select a region until I've done a manual update it seems. I will check this again after I install the update for my region.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
It won't let me select a region until I've done a manual update it seems. I will check this again after I install the update for my region.
I just updated all regions. That way I'm always road-trip ready. I'm on my fourth set this year. I think it's a great feature.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2022 C300 4Matic
Yea, I upgraded all the regions. Didn't really take that long to upgrade. Note that the MBUX software can not be upgraded by the user. You have to have the dealer do this. Took about 3 or 4 hours.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:17 PM

A220
Originally Posted by Givmeabrek
Yea, I upgraded all the regions. Didn't really take that long to upgrade. Note that the MBUX software can not be upgraded by the user. You have to have the dealer do this. Took about 3 or 4 hours.
Was the MBUX update related to map updates? Or really, what did you get from the MBUX update?
Old 06-10-2019, 10:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2022 C300 4Matic
Not related to map updates. It was to fix a blackout issue (dead screen). Didn't really fix it. Still has an issue. Gotta love new model cars....
Old 06-11-2019, 12:28 AM

2019 A220 4MATIC
OK so I downloaded and updated my region, then went for a drive, and now it is selected for automatic updates. The entire install took less than 3 minutes while the engine was off. Not bad at all! I'm going to update all the regions now. If you look through the Navigation app's advanced menu, you can find the map versions at the bottom of the menu. It looks like the pre-installed maps (V22) are from 2018 and the new version (V260) is from 2019. I need to spend time testing the Voice Control System now to see if it's better about recognizing business names. It was pretty bad about that initially.

Old 06-14-2019, 12:58 PM

Buying One
Hi Zac,

I did all the regions, about 20 gb and it took approximately 40 minutes. After it said it was done I pulled the stick and an error message came up saying it was incomplete, but then looking at the onscreen log there was a completed download (with an incomplete one below) for all regions, maybe it thought I was trying to do it again.

Manual download from web site was smooth except I had to update Java for a 64 bit computer, close browser and then try again. Have only a 50mb connection so it took several hours.

Usually don't make it a habit of checking tire pressure on a brand new car as I've bought inexpensive cars (Ford/Toyota) before. Skimmed over and was shocked to see I was at 50 psi (90 degrees outside, driving at 70 mph), they had cold loaded it at 45/46. Tires are rated 44 max, but recommended is 39. Dropped it down to 38 as I usually get a boost of about 5 PSI when the temperature outside goes up 15-20 degrees and I'm driving at 65-70. Might dial it back to 36 as it's a little close to the envelope.

Mileage has been great, around 35/36 highway and 28 city. I'm a real soft touch on the accelerator unless I'm passing on a one lane or need a fast start to move over 3 lanes quickly thanks to poor road design .
Old 06-14-2019, 02:50 PM

2019 A220 4MATIC
I had the same experience you described in updating all regions in the car. When the car is restarted later, the completed and incomplete update messages disappear.

I have the 18" wheels with the 225/45 Michelin Primacy tires. The sidewall says max pressure is 40 psi, and my tires were filled to 42/40 by the dealer. The fuel door says 39/39 for max load and 38/34 for normal load. My digital tire pressure gauge reads 2.5 psi lower than what the car says the pressure is, but I lowered the pressure to 38/36. Now I want to buy another gauge that is hopefully more accurate.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:41 PM

Buying One
I had the same experience you described in updating all regions in the car. When the car is restarted later, the completed and incomplete update messages disappear.

I have the 18" wheels with the 225/45 Michelin Primacy tires. The sidewall says max pressure is 40 psi, and my tires were filled to 42/40 by the dealer. The fuel door says 39/39 for max load and 38/34 for normal load. My digital tire pressure gauge reads 2.5 psi lower than what the car says the pressure is, but I lowered the pressure to 38/36. Now I want to buy another gauge that is hopefully more accurate.
So I think we have the same tires? I'll check the sidewall again, could swear it was 44. My non digital gauge reads 2.0 PSI lower as well, interesting.

MICHELIN®

PRIMACY™ MXM4®

225/45R18 91H MOE ASY DT BSW
Old 06-14-2019, 09:42 PM

A220
I have the run flat tires. Never had them before. Anyone know if there's anything special to be aware of with respect to tire pressure?