CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Economy light on A/C stays on constantly!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK430
Economy light on A/C stays on constantly!

I have a 2000 CLK430. About three months ago the econ light on the air conditioning unit came on and has stayed on since then. Now the A/C will not cool the car, it just lets in outside air. I have been told by the dealer that I need a new "panel" which will cost about $1200.00. Any help on this matter will be greatly appriciated.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:02 PM

clk
I talked with some guys and they said it's a common problem.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
if you do need a new panel, that $1200 is crazy...my independent mechanic who gets his parts from the dealer quoted me $550 for the control/display module. but if mine got fixed (without spending $$), im sure yours can be fixed too
Old 03-10-2005, 11:08 PM

00 CLK430
Same issue

Originally Posted by midget fidger
if you do need a new panel, that $1200 is crazy...my independent mechanic who gets his parts from the dealer quoted me $550 for the control/display module. but if mine got fixed (without spending $$), im sure yours can be fixed too
I have the same issue...did not realize the problem until weather started warming up... How much did you spend from independent mechanic to fix? $550? or less than that?

Last edited by JScriv; 03-10-2005 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:22 PM

02 CLK430
Funny... min just did that yesterday. When i brought it in dealer said it was just my ac needed recharging. I'm bringing in the car on Monday... i'll let you guys know whats up

Kev
Old 03-11-2005, 10:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02 CLK 430 Coupe
You can run the diagnostic and get the problem code with these instructions:

http://www.continentalimports.com/ser_ic40142.html

Most likely it will be code B1241 which just means you need a refrigerant refill.

If your dealer hasn't run this diag then they are plain LYING to you and trying to RIP YOU OFF.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:13 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
An MB should NEVER need recharging since it's a sealed system. If you are low on refrigerant, you have a leak in your system somewhere. You can check the a/c diagnostics through your climate control unit by pressing the rest button for 5 secs+ and look at the value for number 7 which is the refrigerant value in bar. If the value is low then you have a leak in your system, if the pressure is ok then your climate control module has a problem. Mine did the same thing and it turned out to be the module. It was replaced by the dealership under warrenty, but I have heard of some others who have fixed this error by entering the version coding section of the climate control system which reset the computer.

Trending Topics

Old 03-11-2005, 11:52 PM

Ferrrari 458 Lamborghini SL 570-4 Mercedes CLS63
Were should I start....I guess from the beginning.... One day... a nice day at that I might add I noticed my EC light was on. Not knowing what this was I hit the button and it stayed on. Oh well no big deal right?,,,,Not really since now I was blowing luke as in luke warm air. I took a trip to the boards in search of help since I hate the drop off...Ya know rental car pain in the but fiasco at the dealer. The rental is free but that hardly helps with the quality of life issue. Anyway...After some help from the boards I decided since I was under warranty I would just drop it off. The dealer called the next day and said your car is all fixed... But we happened to remove the your front bumper cover somehow?? Im not kidding I went down there and my Lorinser (sp?) front bumper was torn off the car??WTF!! ......Anyway I have had my car back for a couple weeks and Iam sitting a stop light and I notice the EC light come on...I hit the EC button and its still on. I turn on the AC and I feeling good old luke again. I call the dealer pissed and roll back in there...Drop off the car and have a huge discussion about the how low the car is and please be carfull about removing the front bumper for me. Next day I get a call the car is all fixed...I pick it up and all is well. Now that Iam conscious of the problem and am running the AC everyday a little bit to make sure Iam good.....Well about 2 weeks later driving home on freeway (no AC on by the way) my little friend luke came back with his sidekick EC light....Now Iam on the phone to Alan the service manager..Im not pissed I just cant believe it happened again..He is dumbfouned....I drop off the car..I They keep it for a couple days call me I pick it up and all is good. Again driving home and bam Luke is back....Im thinking this guy is stalking me now...No BS my EC light goes on again. I call Alan I say its back he say no way blah blah blah. I tell him they are on crack and this getting old....Did I forget to mention that they had put dye in the systym everytime so if it leeked they could see were with a black light.......... Im not kidding we go through this again and I get the car back as usual a few weeks later it goes out....Im not suprised. Go back to the dealer (no call necasarry now) The enterpise guy tells me to lemon it since they all know me by now. They keep the car from Thursday to Monday and call me to pick up the car. I call Alan and say I really dont want the car back unless you are 100% sure it is repaired. He says they fixed it on Friday and he drove it and it sat all weekend and all is good. I go to dealer.....Have a good chat with all my new friends in serice and valet. My car gets brought around I hop in and I sh>>it you not the EC light is on!!!!!!Now Iam pissed...I throw fit (no more friends...they all think im nuts now) . Well they had to replace the evaporater wich ment from what they told me removing a good portion of the interior and the entire dash!!!!!. Anyway after all this I have had my car back for just over three weeks and all is good. Moral of this way to long post....If the EC light comes on twice its your evaporater. They know it know it.. I know it. That is the longest post I have ever done....Sorry guys.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:14 AM

2000 CLK430
Error Code results

Just ran the erroir codes, here are the results:

EB1 241
E FF

What do these mean?
Old 03-12-2005, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
Happened on 2 of my 208's and a 210...

panel was replaced under warranty all three times. Doesn't sound like it may be a warranty issue for you though. There are numerous companies making/refurbing these panels at less than OE prices. Of course, the warranties/quality may vary. Just make sure it's from someone reputable and find out exactly what the warranty is. It will be 12 months from MB. And yes, this is a common problem. If your dealer doesn't know this already, find another one.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by JScriv
I have the same issue...did not realize the problem until weather started warming up... How much did you spend from independent mechanic to fix? $550? or less than that?
Nah, I didn't have to replace anything. I fiddled around with the control module, pressed some buttons, and found myself in some weird diagnostic system (not the error code one or anything). I turn the car off and back on...and the EC light is off. Ever since then it has worked just fine.

Here's a post I made about it: https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-tech-talk/71756-what-else-mb-hiding.html
Old 03-12-2005, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
also, some people have said that you can use an OBD II reader to reset error codes in the system. i'm not sure how these things work, but i heard that you can borrow them from car parts stores like auto zone or discount auto parts
Old 03-12-2005, 03:11 PM

00 CLK430
Thanks for tips...If this worked for anyone else, please post.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:52 PM

00 CLK430
Update

Took back to dealership..they had it repaired free of charge.

Turns out the system needed recharging. Works just fine now!
Old 03-15-2005, 01:45 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you'll be experiencing the same problem soon....bank on it! By the way do you still have your original warrenty? If so, you should go back there and ask why a sealed system would need recharging. Ask them to inspect the condensor, evaporator, and the compressor for leaks because if you find out these things have a problem later, after your warrenty expires, you'll be shelling out pretty big bucks.

Last edited by TresX; 03-15-2005 at 01:50 AM.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:15 PM

Ferrrari 458 Lamborghini SL 570-4 Mercedes CLS63
Obvuolsy you did not read my "way to long" post.......The light will be back...Could be 2 days could be three weeks. You have a leak for sure.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:41 PM

AC Question

This is a great thread.

I was wondering why my left side AC is not blowing very hard, or very cold.

When I held down the RESET button, the numbers on the display were 1 - 82.

I can now see there must be a leak on the AC, but what does the 82 stand for? Is one number for the left AC and the other for the right side? If so, are they completely different AC systems that run totally independent of each other?

Also, could the leak he having an effect on the blowing force of the AC unit as well?

Thanks!

Matt
Las Vegas