CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Installing the Pioneer AVIC N-2.........

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 07:36 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing the Pioneer AVIC N-2.........

Finally got the Navic N-2 navigation unit installed in my 99 CLK 320. I moved the climate control module to the bottom of the three available DIN slots. The wiring is just long enough to allow the move. I had intended to put the Pioneer nav unit to go in the top slot where the climate control unit was, but there is not enough depth for the nav unit to fit properly, so by moving the cubby hole storage to the top, the Nav unit in the middle, where the original radio was, everything works out fine. When the screen comes out and up it only obstructs the little storage bin. I mounted the "brain" unit in the trunk, between the two rear speakers and ran the cables alongside and in between the rear seat divider console, then under the carpet and along side the passenger seat, which I had removed, and then up to the back of the head unit. The green with black tracer wire that is located in the passenger kick panel was tapped into for the speed sensor wire and I ran the wire for the parking brake sensor, which prevents watching DVD movies unless the parking brake is activated, thru a toggle switch instead, then to ground. With this setup DVD movies can be seen by the passenger even though the car is moving by just flipping on the toggle switch! The yellow w/white tracer wire going to the trunk lid in the right side of the trunk was tapped into for the reverse sensor. The antenna cable needed an adaptor cable to match and was the only extra thing I had to purchase. The unit set-up this way, eliminated the need for the optional extra lenght connecting cable. The B plug (middle one) on the original radio had the speaker wires, 4 sets, red and red/w tracer is right rear-- yellow and yellow/with tracer is right front-- black and black/with tracer is left front and blue and blue/with tracer is left rear. after hooking everything up I found that there was no sound at all, turns out there was an amp in the left side of the trunk even though my original radio was not a Bose system and I had been advised that there was no amp to worry about. The amp was taken out and the amp input wires, above mentioned, were connected to the proper amp output wires, left front= green and green/wtracer, right front= orange and orange/wtracer, left rear= pink and pink/Wtracer, and right rear= white and white/wtracer. Now I can play MP3s,DVDs add a TV tuner, rear camera, voice command and more! I don't regret buying this unit over the COMAND, it is vastly superior. Hope this lenghty post helps if somebody wants to do their own install.
Attached Thumbnails Installing the Pioneer AVIC N-2.........-nav.jpg  
Old 03-30-2005, 07:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
991.1 gt3, w204 c63 507
congratulations on moving climate controls to bottom.... you are now gangsta
Old 03-30-2005, 08:38 PM

W220, W208, W203
red clk do you have any pics with the screen in?
Old 03-30-2005, 09:37 PM
Almost a Member!

Tomorrow I'll post pic with the screen in, too dark now to get a good shot.
I'm amazed at all the different settings that are offered for the audio system, been playing with it tonite, even with the stock speakers it's very impressive!
Old 03-31-2005, 02:25 AM

Would you mind sharing how much you were able to purchase the unit for? And do let us know how the traffic navigation works out. Looks like a very useful tool. Isn't there a monthly fee for that service?
Old 03-31-2005, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
Originally Posted by CERY
Isn't there a monthly fee for that service?
Old 03-31-2005, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
nice simple writeup... however, i wonder why your system produced no sound because of the bose amp...

when I installed my Eclipse nav, i never did anything with the stock amp and I was able to get all the sounds out...
Old 03-31-2005, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by BklynBenz
XM Traffic Navigation. Last time I checked it's $13.99 a month to activate.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:09 AM
Almost a Member!

No, there is no charge for the navigation usage, I receive signals from 7 satelites, they are free for everyone.
I was perplexed with the no sound problem, but when I put an ohm meter across a set of speaker wires and got a reading of only .95 ohms, I realized they were only feeder wires to the amp that what was hidden in the trunk. After a quick by-pass of the factory amp, things worked fine.
The antenna is hardly noticable.
Attached Thumbnails Installing the Pioneer AVIC N-2.........-dash2.jpg   Installing the Pioneer AVIC N-2.........-anten.jpg  
Old 03-31-2005, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
XM Traffic Navigation. Last time I checked it's $13.99 a month to activate.
oh ok but thats something completely different from any navigation like the pioneers, alpines, kenwoods, oem mb navs, etc that we are talking about. as red clk said we use the satellites that are free
Old 03-31-2005, 02:35 PM

oh ok but thats something completely different from any navigation like the pioneers, alpines, kenwoods, oem mb navs, etc that we are talking about. as red clk said we use the satellites that are free

Well, the last time I checked we were talking about the Pioneer AVIC-N2. One of the key points of this unit is the software upgrade allowing the use of the XM Traffic Navigation Unit.

This is a feature new to all navigation units that was propritary to Honda/Acura as it was introduced last year on the TL line. Being the function was a great success, the aftermarket companies such as; pioneers, alpines, kenwoods, etc., are now utilizing this feature on their top of the line navigation units.

http://www.xmradio.com/xmnavtraffic/

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...089333,00.html

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...etailComponent

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...541245,00.html
Old 03-31-2005, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
Well, the last time I checked we were talking about the Pioneer AVIC-N2. One of the key points of this unit is the software upgrade allowing the use of the XM Traffic Navigation Unit.

This is a feature new to all navigation units that was propritary to Honda/Acura as it was introduced last year on the TL line. Being the function was a great success, the aftermarket companies such as; pioneers, alpines, kenwoods, etc., are now utilizing this feature on their top of the line navigation units.

http://www.xmradio.com/xmnavtraffic/

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...089333,00.html

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...etailComponent

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...541245,00.html
yes you are correct and thank you for the links. but as im sure you know, (or maybe not as i read back on your first post) you dont have to subscribe to this service in order to use the navigation. and the last time i checked we were talking about the avic-n2 and i dont recall anywhere where red clk mentioned the xm navigation, you did.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:49 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK 430
yes you are correct and thank you for the links. but as im sure you know, (or maybe not as i read back on your first post) you dont have to subscribe to this service in order to use the navigation. and the last time i checked we were talking about the avic-n2 and i dont recall anywhere where red clk mentioned the xm navigation, you did.
You're right because RedCLK didn't mention he had installed the optional kit needed (GEX-P10XMT) to get the XM Traffic Nav service. He gets free navigation but not real time road or weather conditions that are available with XM NavTraffic™.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:52 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK 430
By the way RedCLK where did you get the AVIC-N2. I'm interested in getting one myself!
Old 03-31-2005, 04:57 PM
Almost a Member!

I bought it from "Techronics.com" I'm studying the 130+ page owners manual now, there a lot of info to digest, not easy for a 56 year old young at heart geezer like me!!
Old 04-01-2005, 01:51 AM

clk
what is different on N1 and N2 ANYONE??
Old 04-02-2005, 12:34 PM
Almost a Member!

I believe the only difference between the N1 and N2, is that the N2 has the XM Navtraffic capability that works in conjuction with the navigation system to warn of traffic delays, backups etc.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:12 AM

2017 GLE350 4MATIC, 2009 ML350 4matic, 2005 4maticWAGON (sold), A Pre-facelift W210(sold)
REDCLK,
1. how long did the installation took you.
2. Where can I get the "toggle switch" to bypass the emergency brakes? and how much...
thanks...Nice set up....
I'm picking up a unit this week for my W210.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:22 AM
Almost a Member!

The install probably took me 5 to 6 hours, could do it again in half the time the second time around. Have to do a bit more modifying. Even with the toggle switch on, which grounds the "parking brake" control wire, I lose the DVD movie picture, (but not the sound) when I go any faster than 5 mph or so. A warning pops up on the screen. I'm fairly confident that the speed sensor wire tells the unit the car is moving and not to allow the DVD to play. I'm going to try running the speed sensor wire also thru an on-off toggle switch to try to fool the unit into thinking the car is not moving, by cutting off the signal thereby allowing the DVD video to function. By using a double pole double throw toggle switch, one switch can control both wires, yet keep them on separate circuits. Flipping the switch will then ground (complete the circuit)the parking brake wire and at the same time cut off the signal to the speed sensor wire fooling the unit into thinking the car is stopped with parking brake on. I'll post a picture of the switch and its location this week and let you know if it is successful modification or not. The best place to get a toggle switch is at a NAPA auto parts store or maybe Radio Shack. On those long boring trips from Phoenix to LA it would be nice if my wife could watch a movie or two during the drive!

(Ping... You have arrived at your destination...)

Last edited by RED-CLK; 04-04-2005 at 04:24 AM.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:29 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Oh wow that looks good. Nicely done install!
Old 04-04-2005, 11:23 AM

2017 GLE350 4MATIC, 2009 ML350 4matic, 2005 4maticWAGON (sold), A Pre-facelift W210(sold)
RedCLK, good thinking. So the double switch will still allow the unit to use the speed sensor, since the N2 need your speed to accurately measure your distance.....
* I will like to disable only for that reason, when I have chiquitas in the car...I don't need to be watching DVD while driving...But still need the nav for me.
BTW, I like your signature

Keep US informed.... Good Luck.....Cheers!
Old 04-04-2005, 03:13 PM

From the research I have done and according to a pioneer rep., the AVIC N2 uses the internal gyro and the gps to determine whether or not the car is moving. Supposedly it was done to meet the current safety standards. This is one issue that angers most of the N2 buyers. Where as the N1 basically relied on the parking brake to determine the cars movement. I'm sure someone will find a way around it.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:56 PM

Designo AMG
From the research I have done and according to a pioneer rep., the AVIC N2 uses the internal gyro and the gps to determine whether or not the car is moving. Supposedly it was done to meet the current safety standards. This is one issue that angers most of the N2 buyers. Where as the N1 basically relied on the parking brake to determine the cars movement. I'm sure someone will find a way around it.
yes, i've also heard and read about this and from the people i talk to they say to get another unit if you want to be able to have dvd video while driving. i heard one person tried to hookup a separate dvd player to the rear camera input, but i hear this can damage that. i wonder if a separate dvd player can be wired into the aux. input for this, but then again if the gyro detects movement above a certain mph and disables all video picture this might not work either. hopefully someone soon comes out with a fix for this.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:15 PM
Almost a Member!

Cery is right, I just finished installing a double pole switch that controls the speed sensor signal and the parking brake signal. With the switch set so the speed signal was cut off and the park brake signal completed to ground, I drove a mile or so and had a movie going, perfect I thought, problem solved, but then as I was going back home going around a corner I lost the video, the warning screen came up and I had to bring up the movie control screen, hit menu, then play and it was back on! More than likely the gyroscope sensed the car turning and after a while shut off the video..... bummer!!!! There is a set of RCA outputs in the trunk unit for a video DVD player, so that would be simple solution, but where could I mount it so it can be easily seen by the front passenger? The sad part is I had ordered the N1 but the salesman talked me into the N2, saying the N1 was no longer available. Oh well.......

Ping... you have arrived at your destination,
Old 04-05-2005, 01:58 AM

RED, are U saying that I should change to N1???
I still have a choice...
thanks for you efforts...

cheers

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installing the Pioneer AVIC N-2.........