CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Question...has this happened

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 CLK 320, 2000 GSXR 750
Angry Question...has this happened

Okay, now I finally get my car back from the tranny transplant and now last night I was coming home from clubbin and went accross a dip in the highway where they have thinned the road out to lay down new tar. Well, of course my car drops in to the low section of the road hard. The was the hardest I have heard my suspension bottom out. Here is the strange part, the engine cuts off at 70mph. All the lights are working but engine will not crank over. I had enough speed to coast it on to an off ramp and down the street a bit. It was strange. I turned the key to the off position and then tried to crank her up and she started.

To add more, now since last night, I crank the key and nothing. I have to hold it in the cranked position and then the car fires up (almost 2 minutes). This is getting strange. Oh ya, it was very hot today about 103. As soon as I got into an area where it was much cooler, the car has started everytime. Might have nothing to do with it, but thought I would add that information in. As far as the total shut off at highway speeds last night it was a cool night about 74 or so..

1. Has anyone had this happen to them?
Old 07-18-2005, 01:53 AM

CLK320
possibly electronic gremlins? Try disconnecting the battery let fault codes clear out and see what the deal is. Can't hurt to try before you drop loot fixing it again.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:57 PM

I think it may be the gear positioning sensor. Damn another "gear" issue
Old 07-21-2005, 04:00 PM

UPDATE....

This gets even more interesting....found out that my battery was at a whopping 7.4v. Infact when in a heated situation it actually dropped down to 6.8v. Not a good idea I am thinking. So I changed out the battery and so far so good....crossing my fingers...
Old 07-21-2005, 04:47 PM

Lexus SC430
Hopefully it is just the battery. Doesn't sound like an alternator issue based on what you explained. I Know all about Gremlins having a Range. With the Electric Gremlins Its hard to tell. Have you tried cutting it off and restarting it quickly?? Then again, If its running now properly leave it alone. Good Luck
Old 07-21-2005, 10:14 PM

02 CLK320 ,bilstein sport shocks, Eiback springs, ECU upgraded, Front grill and emblem, 18" wheels
This gets even more interesting....found out that my battery was at a whopping 7.4v. Infact when in a heated situation it actually dropped down to 6.8v. Not a good idea I am thinking. So I changed out the battery and so far so good....crossing my fingers...
It could possibly be the alternator. Having a new battery and every thing works great, but wait a few days and if it does it again it could well be the alternator. The best way to check that is to run the car and disconect the battery with the engine running. If the car stalls the alternator is junk if it still runs your ok. Try it its worth a peace of mind.

Last edited by jdouk69; 07-21-2005 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally Posted by jdouk69
It could possibly be the alternator. Having a new battery and every thing works great, but wait a few days and if it does it again it could well be the alternator. The best way to check that is to run the car and disconect the battery with the engine running. If the car stalls the alternator is junk if it still runs your ok. Try it its worth a peace of mind.
Oh man, I can't believe you! NEVER disconnect the battery while the engine is running. The proper test for an alternator is to put a VOLTMETER across the battery terminals. A fully charged battery will register about 12.5 volts. When the engine is running, the alternator will increase this by about 2 volts. You might need to raise the RPM off idle slightly to see a big difference.

Start here for a quick primer on alternators. http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/april2005/collision.cfm

Man, the Internet makes everyone an expert
Old 07-21-2005, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Crank sensor?