CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Clunking from Drivers rear anyone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W208
Clunking from Drivers rear anyone?

I recently noticed when I go up on speed bumps, hitting small pot holes, I get this really light clunking noise from drivers rear. I took everything out of my trunk but its still clunking(Very light cluking noise. I can't hear the clunk when the radio's on) I changed my suspension to H&R/Koni set up about 4k miles ago. Noise developed just recently. Anybody???
Old 07-19-2005, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
hmmm... either you are rubbing, or your springs are sagging and hitting each other...

and I don't want to hear from people that H&Rs don't sag... anything can happen, so don't even begin to flame...
Old 07-20-2005, 01:53 AM

CLK320
Check to make sure dust shields arent bent. Also, check that brake calipers are still fully funtional.

It is also unlikely, but check the control arms for signs of wear/cracks as they can snap during driving, and they do make clunking noises. I had this happen to me.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:25 AM

02 CLK320 ,bilstein sport shocks, Eiback springs, ECU upgraded, Front grill and emblem, 18" wheels
I had this happen to me and i noticed that the exhaust was hitting on the sway bar right under it. It would happen on rough roads and pot holes etc. Check it out, just a thought. Good Luck
Old 07-20-2005, 11:35 AM

2000 CLK 430
Talkin about noises comin from the rear wheel area

When I put my car into reverse and as it begins to go backwards there is a distinct clicking noise coming from the rear wheel area... usually only two clicks... Doesnt sound like anything I should flip the alarm switch over but I was just wondering if anyone has had that experience b4?
Old 07-20-2005, 12:22 PM

Lexus SC430
Unhappy

New York City.....Come for the Pizza and Bagels. Stay for the Potholes. Man I hope it's not serious and just a fixable annoyance. I hope you find the source. Good Luck
Old 07-21-2005, 09:22 PM

W208
I looked under the car and seems everything's in placed. I tried bouncing the rear section of the car by pushing up/down. I opend the trunk, stuck my head in side to see where the squeak was coming from while I was pushing up/down. Squeak comes from left side right by where shock/spring sits. I don't hear squeaks from the right side(Rear passenger). Could it be my rear left shock? cars sitting at the right height, car bounces right back up when I pushed down.
No squeaks atta higer speed regardless of pot holes of speed bumps. I can hear speaks clear from drivers rear when I am driving on groovy/rough rodes going less then 5mph. Anybody?? Please Help!! Thanks
Old 07-21-2005, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by W2O8TC
I recently noticed when I go up on speed bumps, hitting small pot holes, I get this really light clunking noise from drivers rear. I took everything out of my trunk but its still clunking(Very light cluking noise. I can't hear the clunk when the radio's on) I changed my suspension to H&R/Koni set up about 4k miles ago. Noise developed just recently. Anybody???
sound like control arm bushings or something of that sort..new to mbz but considering the age of your car and new springs and shocks it puts an extra load on the suspension, perhaps its got sway bar end links also..the bolts that go trough the bushings often rust and fail in about 6-8 years or just fail ..you probaby wont see anything broken but get a bar or somting with leverage and pry around these areas. things will be easier to move and see if the rear tires are off the ground...pushing or bouncing the car on the ground will do no good to find the source if this is the case..if you were to bounce the care and push side to side and hear the noise i would look else where..

Last edited by KMURBAN500SEC; 07-21-2005 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:27 AM

W208
[QUOTE=KMURBAN500SEC]sound like control arm bushings or something of that sort QUOTE]
How many bushings are in the rear?? Sorry for being stupid here but where is this control arm/bushing located?? I want to try spraying WD40 and see if it stops clunking. If it does, I know what to replace. Whats the cost to replace Control arm/sway bar bushings?? Thank you.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:31 AM

W208
I only have 46K miles on my car with less then 5k with new suspension. I thought bushings will go for 80K. Maybe not.