CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Are Most CLK's Like This???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 08:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Are Most CLK's Like This???

Yesterday, I had my ML in for some seatbelt work and I was given a '01 CLK430 with 13K on it as a loaner car - I really love my local MB folks!!! Anyway, this car is very fast but I wasn't impressed at all. It had Michelin Pilots on with good thread on AMG rims - the fronts had noticeably outside wear, probably due to pressure driving by previous owner??? On bumps, the car darted sideways a lot. I thought that was weird for such a stiff suspension. Is this how they are??? Also, fit and finish for a low mileage car like this one was undesirable - I'm comparing with my '01 E430 with 17K on it. What's been your experience with you CLK430??
Old 07-09-2002, 11:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cayenne GTS, Cayenne Turbo
Given that it's a loaner, it's probable been abused. I have 16k mi on my 430 now and the body is still rigid. Granted that the suspension is a little on the "boaty" side, there hasn't been much difference to when the first time I testdrove it.
Old 07-09-2002, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 CLK 55
I NEVER make representative judgement calls on loaners, MBZ or otherwise. I'm currently stuck in a Brand spanking new C240 loaner while my CLK 55's entire front end is being torn apart and systematically having parts replaced to eliminate a squeek that occurs somewhere in the suspension when the steering wheel is turned slowly lock to lock, or while mimicking short choppy corrections. (engine off, steering unboosted also... ) Back on the loaner track; The C class had 500 miles on the odometer when I got it, and it already looks beat. Given the condition of this car at such an early stage in it's servicable life, I can only imagine what the condition will be in 10,000 miles. I think ANY car can be very easily made to look and feel like **** without care. I drive my CLK VERY hard and have had no perceived "durability" problems so far and it is ANALLY over maintained. ( Though I can't seem to figure what the Hell is going on with the front end... )
Old 07-09-2002, 12:27 PM

ML
Originally posted by Arnee
...Granted that the suspension is a little on the "boaty" ....
Are you kidding me, the suspension on this thing was as stiff as a rock. The lateral movement may have been due to tires/pressure, but the Pilots are among the best around, so it's tough to say. Anyway, I agree that this one may have been subjected to poor maintenance by the previous owner, even though the body was perfect.
Old 07-09-2002, 01:10 PM

All of them, as much as I can...
Being a dealer-maintained loaner car, I'm sure the tire pressures are kept at the recommended values on the fuel filler door...which is too low for the fronts. The factory sets it up that way to counteract the understeer inherent on the 208. It will steer better but tires will wear faster on the edges. That heavy V8 needs at least 6-8 PSI more. I've used 38PSI front and 33 rear on the stock 17s on my CLK, and 42F 40R on the 19s. Just be alert on the pedals in spirited cornering.
So that wear is from underinflation. As far as the ride, it is not a fair comparison to the E. My E430 rides like a magic carpet compared to the CLK. But as soon as you hit the twisties on the CLK, it shines.
Old 07-09-2002, 01:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cayenne GTS, Cayenne Turbo
Originally posted by Darkmann

Are you kidding me, the suspension on this thing was as stiff as a rock.

LOL I guess when you compare it to an E class, it'll be relatively stiff. I believe most of the people on this board have changed their suspensions becuase it's not stiff enough.
Old 07-09-2002, 01:52 PM

LOL I guess when you compare it to an E class, it'll be relatively stiff. I believe most of the people on this board have changed their suspensions becuase it's not stiff enough.
Damn right, it felt like a big old Caddilac when I bought it!
Old 07-09-2002, 04:33 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 CLK320
I read a past post on loaners and it appears that you are one of the few lucky ones to get a CLK loaner, let alone an MB loaner. The earlier post mentioned american sedans as typical loaners with fees being charged for MB loaners.
Old 07-09-2002, 09:23 PM
Almost a Member!

I'm glad someone had something to say about the unstable stock suspension on this car. I have the AMG wheels on my car and it still doesn't handle like my old 1987 Jetta, or my old 1990 BMW 525. I kept these cars stock and without low profile wheels and tires. Don't get me wrong I love the car, but it just doesn't feel safe enough to do anything but cruise on a highway without any bumps. When I do drive on any highway here on the East Coast and hit bumps or any road imperfections, I feel like the car is going to lose control. These are characteristics that the other cars that I mentioned didn't have (with stock wheels and Stock suspensions). Can someone tell me if the car is safe enough to handle road conditions at high speeds without losing control. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:08 PM

I'll tell you that lowering the car and upgrading to 18" wheels helped a LOT.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:44 PM

ML

No, I'm not comparing to the soft, Cadillacy ride that the E-Class has - I had to increase tire pressure to as safe a level as possible and the $%#@ thing is still a soft rider!!! (that's my only major complaint about the E class!!!). My daily driver is a 89 Nissan 300ZX turbo with Tokico Illumina set to 3 on all four corners, 225/50/16 rubber at 32psi - that's a pretty stiff AND STABLE ride. Now that ride on the CLK430 was stiff when you hit a bump, and unstable when you hit a series of bumps. The lateral instability just reminded me of a suspension system with poor camber, poor toe and worn out control, arm bushings. I'm sure at 12.7K and being an '01 model, this car didn't have any of those problems. I have to believe that's just the way some come out of the factory. Makes me wonder if this had to do with why the original owner traded it in???

Last edited by Darkmann; 07-10-2002 at 12:18 AM.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:51 PM

ML
Originally posted by cdnclk320
I read a past post on loaners and it appears that you are one of the few lucky ones to get a CLK loaner, let alone an MB loaner. The earlier post mentioned american sedans as typical loaners with fees being charged for MB loaners.
I gotta tell you man, my dealership is one of the best in the US. These guys and gals take great care of theor customers. What I like best is that they don't bull**** you on a deal. If the stuff you want is not there, they'll tell you to wait, if they sence you may make a hasty decision - what you want is what they will give you. You want a specific loaner, if it's on the lot (pre-owned, in most cases), you'll get it. Maybe it's because I'm friendly with them. But to date, I haven't had any problems with sales or service.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:55 PM

ML
Originally posted by ghova
I'm glad someone had something to say about the unstable stock suspension on this car. I have the AMG wheels on my car and it still doesn't handle like my old 1987 Jetta, or my old 1990 BMW 525. I kept these cars stock and without low profile wheels and tires. Don't get me wrong I love the car, but it just doesn't feel safe enough to do anything but cruise on a highway without any bumps. When I do drive on any highway here on the East Coast and hit bumps or any road imperfections, I feel like the car is going to lose control. These are characteristics that the other cars that I mentioned didn't have (with stock wheels and Stock suspensions). Can someone tell me if the car is safe enough to handle road conditions at high speeds without losing control. Thanks.
Oh not to worry. What I didn't tell is that I opened her up on a stretch of highway I usually do 100-120 on my E. the CLK had no problems at all handling the road or the speed. No, I won't say how fast I was going just in case my dealer is on this board. But, rest assured, the car handled very well at speed. It's the city cruising with bumps that bothered me tremendously.
Old 07-10-2002, 08:47 AM

All of them, as much as I can...
I have the same critique about the CLK's handling on "washboard" surfaces. It gets pretty hairy when you're taking a curve and happen to hit a series of bumps. I don't like it either. I'm supposed to have the "AMG-tuned" suspension on the CLK55 but I guess the extra 300 lbs of the cabrio hardware in the back doesn't help; inspite of additional cross-bracing under the car. It must be the shock's rebound rates on the stock suspension. I have heard, and all the tuners in this forum recommend that a suspension upgrade like H&R cupkit or Kleeman speed-sensitive setup is an absolute "must" for any kind of spirited driving on a CLK.