CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

In cabin fan/blower fluctuates like crazy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 02:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In cabin fan/blower fluctuates like crazy

Hi guys, my clk just started to act strange over the thanks-giving break. The fan that blows the air through the vents revs up and down as if it's possessed by a deamon. It can blow at low level for 10 seconds, then revs itself up to high level for another 10 seconds and then revs back down. I tried every setting there is and made everything manual controlled. But despite the effort, the fan is taking on a life of it's own.
Has anyone seen this problem? Would replacing the climate control unit help?

Thanks.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
Sounds like you have a bad blower motor voltage regulator. It's under the dash on the passenger side and is pretty easy to replace.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:48 PM

Thanks Josh

Thanks Josh. Is there a way to diagnose the blower voltage regulator?
Old 11-28-2005, 03:45 PM

Blower fan problems

Hi:
On this same subject I have a 1999 CLK and recently the blower fan has been acting up.

Generally it works on cold start. However if I drive for a while and engine is warm and I have to stop blower will not work no matter what the setting I use.

Sometimes I will be driving and the fan will come on even though I haven't ajusted settings.

I went to an electrical place here in Toronto and the guy said its two hours or more labour to get to the fan motor and regulator to check it out. Is this true.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Also I was told when I recently changed a flat that I will have to replace the hub as the threads have been stripped. Dealer wants $770 for a hub and wreckers don't have any!!!

Help
Old 11-28-2005, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S
It does not take two hours to get to the voltage regulator - it takes about 15 minutes. It's located in a box with two slide locks under the dash on the passenger side.

yuanja - I'm not sure if there's any way to diagnose it, but the symptoms you're describing sound exactly like what I experienced when mine went out.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W208
Thumbs up Part Number

Part number for the Blower switch regulator for my 01' W208 is 210-820-62-10. Dealer part, cost me $125.08. I did not shop around.Took maybe 15 mins.
It is hold in by two #20 torx. Shout out to Josh K for the how to.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:10 PM

Problem fixed. 15 minute job. Thanks Josh.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG GTS
I think i have the same problem..
In the UK the part is around $200 so before i go buy one can you confirm...

My blower jumps around from low to high fan on its own, controlling the blower power seems to have no affect- it has a life of its own.
i also seem to pick up on a slight burning smell like resistor or plastic burning, not that strong but noticable, and i think, it goes when the blower is swithced off.

So does that sound like the right part for me, and any idea if the burning smell could be the regulator?
is it as simple as finding the locattion, opening and old part out- new part in- i am not a techy so it needs to be simple if i'm doing it myself.

Thanks
Old 12-19-2005, 12:46 PM

Based on the location of the regulator and assuming that component of the regulator is burnt, you will get the smell through out the cabin. The regulartor and the blower fan are within the same box.

All other symptoms are exactly as I had. It's definitely simple to do.

Originally Posted by Simbad
I think i have the same problem..
In the UK the part is around $200 so before i go buy one can you confirm...

My blower jumps around from low to high fan on its own, controlling the blower power seems to have no affect- it has a life of its own.
i also seem to pick up on a slight burning smell like resistor or plastic burning, not that strong but noticable, and i think, it goes when the blower is swithced off.

So does that sound like the right part for me, and any idea if the burning smell could be the regulator?
is it as simple as finding the locattion, opening and old part out- new part in- i am not a techy so it needs to be simple if i'm doing it myself.

Thanks
Old 02-05-2006, 12:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 G63 AMG, 2019 G550
Has anyone had the problem of controlling the direction of the air flow? I have a w203 and the air shoots to the feet no matter what the setting is. i.e. if I change the direction to just blow from the center vents it will also blow from both the center vent and the floor vents, etc...It is driving me nuts.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S
Originally Posted by C240-Merc
Has anyone had the problem of controlling the direction of the air flow? I have a w203 and the air shoots to the feet no matter what the setting is. i.e. if I change the direction to just blow from the center vents it will also blow from both the center vent and the floor vents, etc...It is driving me nuts.
Sounds like you have a broken vacuum line. The climate control ones run near the base of the windshield.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:53 PM

i have maneul a/c cond. on my clk 230 komp. 2000 , when i turn on the a/c (cold) the airforce is weak and there is sound like (ishhhhhh) come and go from center opening i dont know what is it from? should i replace the other a/c filter ( that was in the consul) and when ? thank u
Old 05-11-2009, 02:34 PM

Clk 230 supercharger
Originally Posted by C240-Merc
dont know i you already tried this but have you pulled out the vent. panel and checked if both of the circulating white plastic pins/sticks are in place, i had a similare prob when i bought mine w208 because one of the pins wasnt properly fixed in
Old 05-11-2009, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Custom CLK / 05 E500 4matic / 04 Acura TL <<Daily
Originally Posted by SimplyBenz
dont know i you already tried this but have you pulled out the vent. panel and checked if both of the circulating white plastic pins/sticks are in place, i had a similare prob when i bought mine w208 because one of the pins wasnt properly fixed in
Im pretty sure he has since this thread is old as f@ck
Old 05-11-2009, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 CLK430
Ummmmm...I am glad to see you using the search feature BUT...the post you replied to is over 3 years old LMAO