CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

MBWORLD member sicrx65 Involved in Fatal car accident.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 03:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sean's Sister--
just found this thread........after reading most of the info it's crazy......heart goes out to everyone involved.......but everyone should learn to put on a seat belt......thats the most important thing even if you deicde to be driving fast........

ahhhh man, that sucks
Old 01-13-2006, 04:51 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by alex@modbargains
just found this thread........after reading most of the info it's crazy......heart goes out to everyone involved.......but everyone should learn to put on a seat belt......thats the most important thing even if you deicde to be driving fast........

ahhhh man, that sucks
just saw this too. sad story.

one of our friend died about 6months ago in car crash too. although not a close friend, but known him well enough. He was coming back from downtown LA way early in the morning after clubbing and on the way back he fell asleep at the wheel and flipped his S2000 on the 10fwy. the most sad part was that alchohol wasn't even involved.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sean's Sister--
Originally Posted by FrankW
just saw this too. sad story.

one of our friend died about 6months ago in car crash too. although not a close friend, but known him well enough. He was coming back from downtown LA way early in the morning after clubbing and on the way back he fell asleep at the wheel and flipped his S2000 on the 10fwy. the most sad part was that alchohol wasn't even involved.
damn man, one of my good friends got lucky and he was sober too.. he wsas driving home late and fell asleep and went through a fence and almost through someones house....the crazy part was he was almost home too before he knocked out.....

at one point in high school we lost 4-5 one year to car accidents. i lost someone i knew, he hit a tree going down hill at almost 100mph.......so sad....
Old 02-04-2006, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W209 - W163
Condolences to the family, you will be missed. Enjoy the long ride home, see you when we all get there. Rest in Peace brother...

Be safe guys, don't speed, we can't loose another forum member. this thread really brought down my day, stinks to see young people die so early, especially to something like this.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
Rest in peace. May God be with your family in these tough times.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:41 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Very very sad! He will be missed.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:39 PM

Jus read the thread..

RIP
Old 05-15-2006, 05:46 PM

'00 CLK430 & '08 Lexus RX 350
Terrible....my condolences to the fam. Thoughts and prayers.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:17 PM

2000 CLK 430
Just reading the thread today....RIP Shin...be safe out there guys!! Life is precious...
Old 05-15-2006, 08:05 PM

2015 E550 Coupe, 2012 E350 4matic Sedan, 2016 fully blown out custom camaro 2SS
Thank You!

Originally Posted by revstriker
I was just alerted of this situation (thanks Josh). I have made the thread a sticky for all to see, and changed the title.

I ask all of our members to PLEASE refrain from judgment at this time. As some of you may or may not no, I am normally pretty hard on people that brag about speeding and racing, but now is just not the time for it.

It's very sad to lose someone you know through a tragedy. My thoughts and well wishes are with the family of Shin Gil Hong.

If anyone here is in touch with family or friends of Shin's, and there is a charity we can donate to in Shin's name, please post the info here.

Thanks.
RIP young man and god bless you and your family,
Moderator Thank you for reminding those who seem to forget someone has lost their life here so let us not be judgementfull in time such as these.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:25 PM

I'm new to the forum and just read the thread

RIP sicrx65.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 CLK 320
This story was so sad that I had to give my condolences. I realize that this is old but R.I.P.
Drive safe, especially during this holiday season.

http://www.tparents.org/Moon-Talks/S...oon-051228.htm
Old 12-03-2012, 03:23 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2000 CLK430 Cabriolet
I've searched, but I can't find any articles on this accident. I'm not certain if it happened on Mem. Dr.(Camb.), or on the Boston side of the bridge, though, if it happened on the bridge, it would be a totally crazy thing under any conditions. I went to college in Cambridge and lived there for many years. I commuted from Harvard Sq. to the financial district near Park station/Beacon Hill where my office was. My CLK430 has crossed that bridge many times. Every day I either drove down Mass. Ave., by MIT, crossing the Harvard Bridge or would take the route down Main Street crossing the Salt Cellar Bridge, aka Longfellow Bridge. That is a very old bridge that has a regular level entry form the MIT side, but, if my recollection is correct, on the Boston side it has a descent. Speeding on that bridge would not be unusual--5 or 10 miles over the speed limit, but racing on that bridge would be wholly reckless, and from what I gleaned from some postings, the driver might have been fleeing, involved in a police chase. If the accident happened on the Boston side, then, racing at speed, coming off the bridge on the Boston side, I can see where, if not airborne, then certainly the vehicle would be very light on the suspension, and would be a perfect storm for losing control. That's a very complex intersection, with a T stop, and people heading to the T station, or waiting at the bus stop. That's a very busy area with plenty of vehicle traffic almost 18 Hrs. a day, and people walking all over the place. Wow, racing down that bridge would be insane, and one would have to be impervious to any regard for the safety of other citizens--criminally negligent at the least. My recollection is that it has a very bad surface, as do most Boston roads. The driver had to be familiar with the road surface and the bridge at both ends. He must have been really desperate to go that fast. Very lucky that he didn't wipe out a bunch of other folks in the process. Boston and Cambridge are sort of close quarters cities--not really a lot of open roadway for racing. They are also high sidewalk traffic cities--people are always walking around. Sidewalks are busy. Not like the west. It's bad news, all around.

If it happened on Mem. Drive at the bridge underpass, then, as I recall, the bridge is not high enough on its shorings to allow passing under, so the underpass is a sort of large dip, so as to make adequate clearance. The road descends under the bridge. It's not a tunnel, its open, just a descent, then the road climbs after you clear the bridge. For some reason the road under the bridge was often wet, and as it ascends from under the bridge, it has sort of curve to it. If someone were really flying, and if they had wet their tires under the bridge, then at the top of the incline they would be very light on the suspension, with wet tires, and have to negotiate the curve. I can see how if one were at a racing speed, an accident would be a clear possibility. Even at the speed limit, this small underpass always gained your attention. If he was familiar with this road, then there is no reasonable explanation for racing under the bridge. It almost would be a more understandable miscalculation if he had been drinking. Again, it's bad news all around. Seems that a parent should keep high performance cars from his 17 year old. Why tempt fate, when the outcome can be so disastrous and so finite at such an early age?

I've had my share of motorcycle and car wrecks, and only one coma. It is so sad, because it seems that such an accident could have been so easily avoided, but sometimes one's best efforts to dodge a bullet, just don't pan out. A touch on the brakes, a little less speed, a seat belt, and it would have only been a matter of property damage. Poor kid. I imagine his parents are tearing themselves up with second guessing about what they should or should not have done. This is horrible. It was his error, and his bad acts, but it is still a horrible shame. Poor kid.

There's something about cars and bikes that can't keep us away. And so, yesterday, I was doing doughnuts in my Jeep, just for the heck of it. Such is life.

Last edited by Pancho; 12-03-2012 at 05:01 AM.