CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

anyone have a clicking noise problem? or it just my clk?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2002, 04:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 clk320
Angry anyone have a clicking noise problem? or it just my clk?

is this normal? there's a clicking noise very 15 to 20 seconds under the glove compartment area with the engine running AC off but you have to listen closely and you can hear it.....brought to the dealer the service guy said it normal.

2002 clk320

Thanks
Old 08-21-2002, 04:48 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
not sure, but my sis's 00 CLK320 is sure some crap piled together. the wind noise is horrible, the front dash is constantly creaking, the moon roof inner panel will slid open by it self, problems with the command's CD player and not remembering it was playing CD after getting out of the car for a while, and the cig tray in the back seat will open itself and gets stuck.

haven't drive her car for awhile, i'll see if i can hear the thing that you heard.
Old 08-21-2002, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G63, AMG GT S
Originally posted by FrankW
not sure, but my sis's 00 CLK320 is sure some crap piled together. the wind noise is horrible, the front dash is constantly creaking, the moon roof inner panel will slid open by it self, problems with the command's CD player and not remembering it was playing CD after getting out of the car for a while, and the cig tray in the back seat will open itself and gets stuck.

haven't drive her car for awhile, i'll see if i can hear the thing that you heard.

Hmmm... interesting, but sounds like Mercedes. I showed a friend my car, and she said "Nice Click." Not knowing that CLK is pronounced C-L-K!!!

And hey, atleast the problems are not with the C-class chasis.
Old 08-21-2002, 09:47 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally posted by Toog4me

Hmmm... interesting, but sounds like Mercedes. I showed a friend my car, and she said "Nice Click." Not knowing that CLK is pronounced C-L-K!!!

And hey, atleast the problems are not with the C-class chasis.
hehe...then you might be wrong...because sometimes my C's dash makes creaking noise too.

well, at least they won't fell apart like those japanese cars after few years.
Old 08-22-2002, 03:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G63, AMG GT S
well, at least they won't fell apart like those japanese cars after few years.

If you are reffering to Lexus, Toyota, or Honda, you are wrong. Those cars have lasted way longer and much better than any other Benz.
Old 08-22-2002, 06:32 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter

If you are reffering to Lexus, Toyota, or Honda, you are wrong. Those cars have lasted way longer and much better than any other Benz.
don't get me wrong, but just answer this if you will.

Which would you pick as a used car. (no price consideration)

a 97 MB S420 or a 97 Lexus LS400?
a 00 MB E430 or a 00 Lexus GS400?
a 99 MB C280 or a 99 Honda Accord V6?

Lexus IS Toyota, so i didn't put camry on there.
Old 08-22-2002, 10:48 AM

'01 CLK320
Re: anyone have a clicking noise problem? or it just my clk?

Originally posted by clk_klass
is this normal? there's a clicking noise very 15 to 20 seconds under the glove compartment area with the engine running AC off but you have to listen closely and you can hear it.....brought to the dealer the service guy said it normal.

2002 clk320

Thanks
my '01 320 does exactly the same thing. i have no idea what it is. it sounds like some mechanism constantly trying to adjust itself or something.

this sound has nothing to do with the standard CLK clicks and squeeks. this sound happens even when you're not moving.

when your service guy said it's "normal" did he say what it was? i have my service b in 3k miles so i'll mention it to them.
Old 08-22-2002, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G63, AMG GT S

don't get me wrong, but just answer this if you will.

Which would you pick as a used car. (no price consideration)

a 97 MB S420 or a 97 Lexus LS400?
a 00 MB E430 or a 00 Lexus GS400?
a 99 MB C280 or a 99 Honda Accord V6?

Lexus IS Toyota, so i didn't put camry on there.

I would buy the LS, the GS (proud owner of one right now) and the C-class, and sell it for money to buy an SRT supercharger for the Lex.
Old 08-22-2002, 05:05 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter

I would buy the LS, the GS (proud owner of one right now) and the C-class, and sell it for money to buy an SRT supercharger for the Lex.
i guess we have different opions than

if it's me i would get the S420, the GS (because it looks younger) and the C280.

anyway...i could not hear the noise u described. maybe it's a 01 problem.
Old 08-22-2002, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G63, AMG GT S

i guess we have different opions than

if it's me i would get the S420, the GS (because it looks younger) and the C280.

anyway...i could not hear the noise u described. maybe it's a 01 problem.

97' LS400 weighs less and has more power than the S420. Accelerates faster, and has pretty much the same features. For me, the big box on wheels is one PIMP *** ryde, but speed and reliability play the game better for me.

The GS400 wins any day. 0-60 in the 5s, looks that could kill, and so many aftermarket MODs, sheesh. My list could go on. And again, theres the reliability thing. Plus, the look of the E-class has grown on me and I dont like it that much. Slap on some 18" AMG monoblocks and it looks decent.

Now the Benz and the Accord? What were you thinking? How about a 2001 C280 or an IS300? I would choose the IS300.

I do not choose my cars on reliability, but it is a major key that I look at. Like I said earlier, I like cars that can be driven to the track and back home, not to the track and to my mechanic.
Old 08-22-2002, 09:22 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 251 Likes on 182 Posts
Re: anyone have a clicking noise problem? or it just my clk?

2002 clk320

Thanks
Boy did this topic go astray!

To answer your question the noise is coming from a valve that adjusts the a/c airflow temp. Try this, next time you hear the noise lower the a/c temp setting by 5 dgrs and see if it goes away for awhile. There is a valve that can be replaced as in my 01 430 but the noise came back.

RJC
Old 08-23-2002, 03:35 AM

02 clk320
Re: Re: anyone have a clicking noise problem? or it just my clk?

Originally posted by apacket

my '01 320 does exactly the same thing. i have no idea what it is. it sounds like some mechanism constantly trying to adjust itself or something.

this sound has nothing to do with the standard CLK clicks and squeeks. this sound happens even when you're not moving.

when your service guy said it's "normal" did he say what it was? i have my service b in 3k miles so i'll mention it to them.

not exactly, but he told me he replaced some kind of module and it still does the same and he also compare to the other clk in the lot, they are the same problem. but my friend got a 99 model and his okay no clicking noise. I did mention that to him
Old 08-23-2002, 03:38 AM

02 clk320
Re: Re: anyone have a clicking noise problem? or it just my clk?

Originally posted by RJC

Boy did this topic go astray!

To answer your question the noise is coming from a valve that adjusts the a/c airflow temp. Try this, next time you hear the noise lower the a/c temp setting by 5 dgrs and see if it goes away for awhile. There is a valve that can be replaced as in my 01 430 but the noise came back.

RJC
I did the problem still exist....
Old 08-24-2002, 02:37 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 251 Likes on 182 Posts
Re: Re: Re: anyone have a clicking noise problem? or it just my clk?

I did the problem still exist....
Did you lower both sides driver psngr?...also try more than 5 dgrs
Old 08-28-2002, 10:57 AM

2001 clk 430 cabriolet
A/C clicking

This just started in my '01 430. It is a regular tick, like a resting heartbeat, that only goes away if the fan and a/c are turned completely off. There is a valve under the hood, silver in color, to the left rear of the engine. Hoses lead out of it. As explained to me, this valve adjusts the water flow through the A/C system. I had mine replaced and the system bled to eliminate any air. The noise is reduced but I've been told it won't likely go away completely. This is according to the dealer who supposedly checked with the regional M-B tech support person. It is most noticeable between 68 and 74 degrees I'm told -- which is aggravating. I've resigned myself to turning up the radio and ignoring it, as the a/c system works fine otherwise.