CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Rattle/knock under acceleration in 2500 rpm range..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk430
Rattle/knock under acceleration in 2500 rpm range..

Any ideas?

It sounds like maybe a slipping belt? But I have no clue. Very noticeable and loud and only when it hits 2500 rpms or so and continues through 3500. If you let off it dissappears. Also only happens in gear, not when you rev it on the spot in neutral or park and that makes it hard to check for myself.

Anyone have any similar noises in that RPM range before? It's really annoying me.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
95 E320 cab, 81 300D,, 83 300D
Driveline

Slipping belt shouldn't give you those symptoms under load-only conditions (idler pulley can do that, but you would still hear it in N). Sounds like a drivetrain issue. Flex discs or differential atttachements maybe. Does the steering wheel vibrate at all when it happens? Is it exclusive to that RPM range, or to the associated vehicle speed (watch speedo when you feel it, then roll up to that same speed with the trans in 1 or 2 selector area).
Old 12-17-2006, 06:32 PM

clk430
Originally Posted by muskratbenz
Slipping belt shouldn't give you those symptoms under load-only conditions (idler pulley can do that, but you would still hear it in N). Sounds like a drivetrain issue. Flex discs or differential atttachements maybe. Does the steering wheel vibrate at all when it happens? Is it exclusive to that RPM range, or to the associated vehicle speed (watch speedo when you feel it, then roll up to that same speed with the trans in 1 or 2 selector area).
Definitely exclusive to the RPM range. It does happen only under load. I can be going 80 and give it throttle to that rpm range and noise will re-appear.

It sounds like it's somewhere close to me. If it's under the hood which it sounds like it is, it's probably somewhere exposed with easy access or close to the firewall. There is no steering wheel shaking or any symptoms associated with this except for the noise. It dissappears as soon as you let off.

What else engages that does not engage when the car is in Drive as opposed to neutral?
Old 12-17-2006, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
2002 CLK430
Like Muskratbenz said, you may want to check the driveshaft flex discs.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:12 PM

W209 CLK
I have just experienced a similar problem and have taken the car to have it checked out.

This happens only in first gear at around the 2000RPM mark. I figured it out cause it only happens consistantly in summer driving mode and only when I take it out of park in winter mode.

At first they thought it was the traction control module and they had replaced it but it keeps on happenning so now they've taken apart the transmission. I haven't received the full story yet from the shop but I know I need to wait at least 10 days for the tranny parts to arrive.

Thankgod for warranties!!!!
Old 12-22-2006, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
Could be the MAF sensor. I had the same problem and they fixed it under warranty.

I swear warranty really saves you with these cars...
Old 12-23-2006, 03:59 AM

W209 CLK
So I got the scoop from the dealership today.

It sounds kind of far fetched but the origin of the problem was from the radiator. Apparently there was some damage to the rad and some of the debris some how managed to end up in the transmission fluid thus was causing the noise and some tranny damage.

I didn't think it could happen...
Old 12-23-2006, 10:06 AM

clk430
You guys are scaring me... I have no warranty! The car drives fine but it happens all the time. Exclusive to that RPM range and under heavy acceleration regardless of speed.. I need to lift my back wheels.. it sounds like a rattle more than anything else. I might have to take it to a private shop that works on these things
Old 12-23-2006, 10:06 AM

clk430
Originally Posted by MarcusF
Like Muskratbenz said, you may want to check the driveshaft flex discs.
Where are they, how can i check them?
Old 12-23-2006, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
CLK Cabrio
hey,
i have to left the car so that you can get underneath and the flex disk is big disk like thing that connects between the tranny and drive shaft. it has six bolts going through it. its also rubber and i replaced two of them i got an amg one this time.