CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Come-on guys....i don't hate Ben, i just disagreed with what he said........

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2002, 01:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99' SLK 230 & 01' CLK 430
Come-on guys....i don't hate Ben, i just don't like when he give misleading spec.....

Damp KevinV !! You hit the nail right on the head. That's exactly what i was try to say......

Well let look at it this way, if a salesman told you that you will get numbers in the 4s and 12s after the 16k upgrade. And after shelling out 16k you find the actual number is 4.9s and 12.9s wouldn't you be a little upset especially if you know that the salesman knew the exactly number were 4.9s and 12.9s but didn't reveal that to you. I think it's a great gesture for Ben to invite someone for a test drive to show that there is more to the Kleeman upgrade than just raw numbers but it would have been better if Ben gave more exact number and pointed the user to the Car and Driver article and then invited the user for a test driver. I don't consider Ben a liar though, he just didn't gave out enough detail and I think that's what bothering linh. Why it's bothering him so much to the point he is flaming Ben, I don't know maybe it's personal.
In a 1/4 mile race, i see winner and loser just by .01s. So it does matter when you say 0-60 in 4.2s, 4.4s, 4.6s, 4.8s etc. I wouldn't have any problem if Ben say the Clk43K can do 0-60 in 4.9 (just like Kleemann claimed it would be) and a side note saying, but with wider tire, slick tires..etc. that it might hit 0-60 in 4.0s. But he didn't say anything about wider tire or slick tires in his responsed to the Q's until after my responsed and then he trying to correct his response by saying with wider tire, slick... etc. And like i say, i'll put up a $100 for anyone that can prove me wrong that a stock Clk43K WILL NOT do 1/4 in 12s flat and you can use any tires you want. Proof must be on VIDEO showing the board time keeper just like www.giacusa.com did with their's Audi S4 high 11s and high 12s.

Last edited by linh; 09-20-2002 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-20-2002, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 S
I'm curious, linh. Where did Ben say it would do 4.0 seconds ? I didn't see it anywhere. I saw 'in the fours', and I haven't seen anything otherwise. Yes, he did indicate that better traction would improve times, but we all know that - but he still didn't indicate 4.0.

The issue here is that you have called someone else a 'liar', and I'm still trying to determine where the lie is ? I can't even say he bent the truth - because there wasn't any bending here.

In terms of a 16K upgrade and the times, I think the time improvement is pretty drastic from a 430 to a 43K, and trying to assume it will do 4.0s is pretty foolish. Especially given - how many cars in the world can do 0-60 in 4.0 ??? C'mon, you've got to be smoking some serious stuff to believe a simple 16K upgrade is going to give you that elusive 4.0s time. . .

Ed
Old 09-20-2002, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Linh, are you letting your Kleemann envy get out of control again?

As a side note, I have a GIAC chipped Audi A6 4.2... it bores me.
Old 09-20-2002, 03:50 PM

Sleestack,

Linh, are you letting your Kleemann envy get out of control again?
Me....no? Oh...since Ben car can do 0-60 in 4s and 1/4 in 12s, i guess that his car is just as fast as your car right Sleestack? Or is your car half a second faster. Get my point !!! There's a different !!! You seen me debating about Renntech $700 chip for C coupe. Now, if there's any Mercedes that can do 0-60 in 4s flat and 1/4 12s flat, it would be your car, sleectack. You want to take on my $100 challenge? For a $100, is all worthy just to see your car with at least $50,000 extra spent on the car run down the quarter mile....:>)) !! Come-on Sleestack, let do this !!! Carlsbad race way is not too far away (you're in LA area, right).

Last edited by linh; 09-20-2002 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-20-2002, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
-~- SIDETRACK -~-

Sleestack- I just notice that in your signature you have a 'Birds Eye Maple Steering Whee'

Do you have a picture of it? I'd like to see how it looks with the rest of the interior.
Old 09-20-2002, 04:43 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
when someone said their car can run in the 4s and 12s, it gives the impression that they meant the fastest time to be 4.0/12.0 and slowest time to be 4.9/12.9. That's why when people ask me how fast is the C32 i just told them what's on the brochure which listed 4.9 sec 0-60.

anyway, Sleestack, got a picture of your steering wheel?
Old 09-20-2002, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No picture of the steering wheel but it is will be for sale if anyone wants it. It looks great but I have a smaller diameter Kleemann steering wheel on order.

Linh, my car will be done in about 2 more months... I'm not letting out any secrets, but, I assure you that you are going to lose your $100 if the bar you set is 12 seconds. You might want to wait and see what I come out with before you place your bet ... for now my car isn't moving more than 10 feet in 12 seconds. Oh by the way, just so you don't think I'm always disagreeing with you, I do agree that their is a huge difference between 12.0, 12.5 and 12.9.

I can show up in my chipped Audi but I'm not breaking 13.4 in that thing.

I'm in the Bay area but will visiting your area when my car is done... you have an open invitation to come check my car out for a ride... I'd save your $100 for your Kleemann fund.

Last edited by Sleestack; 09-20-2002 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-20-2002, 08:07 PM

Sleestack,

Linh, my car will be done in about 2 more months... I'm not letting out any secrets, but, I assure you that you are going to lose your $100 if the bar you set is 12 seconds. You might want to wait and see what I come out with before you place your bet ... for now my car isn't moving more than 10 feet in 12 seconds.
Like i said, even if i lose that $100, it still worthy just to see your car run down the 1/4 track. And if you let me be on the passenger seat, i'll take you out for dinner and tour my town. You can bank on that !!!

I can show up in my chipped Audi but I'm not breaking 13.4 in that thing.
Not breaking in the 13.4.....? Then you are looking in the wrong place. At www.giacusa.com, they has Audi S4 that can do the quarter mile in high 12s and high 11s. I guess your Audi is not an S4. Why do you say 13.4 instead of 13.0...lol.....lol? You know what i mean? So the .4 does mean something...:>)))

I'm in the Bay area but will visiting your area when my car is done... you have an open invitation to come check my car out for a ride... I'd save your $100 for your Kleemann fund.
I'll take your words for it and look forward to it, thanks.
Old 09-20-2002, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you show up, I'll let you take my car down the 1/4 mile track.

My Audi has a V-8 and GIAC tuning chips installed, but it weighs 3900 lbs. I got it because my wife has a baby due in 5 months and I couldn't stand my E320. I have had the Audi for 3 months... great car but I realize that I can't drive a 4 door car. The Audi is going to the wife for now and I'm thinking about picking up an M3 SMG... it's more my speed.
Old 09-21-2002, 12:37 AM

Sleestack,

I admired everything you have done to your car and i properly would do the same as you too if i have that kind of spare money. But do you think it worthy spending so much $$$$ trying to get every once of hp power out of that engine because i heard that it been in the shop alot. I think this is the third time you has mention it in the shop.

M3 SMG is an awsome car but the Audi, i just don't like the style.
Old 09-21-2002, 01:23 AM

S60R, ML320, W211/E350
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Sleestack, don't get the M3!!!!!!

http://members.roadfly.org/jason/m3engines.htm

Complete with pictures and video.... enjoy...

this is why I backed out of mt order... waiting to see if it gets better....

Sleestack, I will DRIVE the 6hr trip up north just to see your car!!!!

Heck, it's the weekend, I will drive up now for the chance to see and ride your car!!!

What part of Bay Area are you at? I am originally from Milpitas, moved down to LA 8 years ago for school...
Old 09-21-2002, 01:32 AM

CLK430
Thumbs up

Great information u got there !! good job !
Old 09-21-2002, 03:55 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
pointless information. 60 out of 5000 bad engines, what is percentage in that?

btw linh, i think sleestack has a A6 4.2.
Old 09-21-2002, 04:22 AM

S60R, ML320, W211/E350
I would not call it pointless information at all.

That is 1 engine for every 83 cars bulit. do you realize how high that percentage is in the car industry?

And let's not forget, these are just reported engine failures, what about those people who are not in the bmw forum, or had no idea of the site?

The reported engine failure is just from a handful of owners that are in the bmw forum, imagine the thousnads and thousands of other owners that are out there.

So the actual number might suprise you.

FrankW, you live by where I am, so you can actually go to New Centry BMW, or Assael BMW and talk to any one of their head mechanic/team leaders, and ask them about it. I did, and they are all very well aware of this problem, in fact 1 of the service writers at assel BMW told me that he is suprised that BMW is not doing a recall.

Well, IMHO i don't think it is useless information since I was on the list to buy 1. Others might find it useless like you, but it is just something to keep in mind when buying the E46 M3.
Old 09-21-2002, 04:30 AM

CLK430
Question

I don't see it as useless info here as well, consider most of cars that fail needs to have the engine replaced !!!!! ...... many have very low miles on them ...

makes me think twice about ordering one, xyzpl, thanks for the link !!
Old 09-21-2002, 04:58 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
xyzpl, I don't consider New Century or Assael as a source of information because the sales staffs there are bunch of a-holes who bluff their way into the car business. If you ask or know information beyond their knowledge, they'll call you a lier. As me and my dad have been called by the Assael sales staff when we were shoping around for my previous car back in summer of 1999. For New Century, they only told you half truths and whole lies. i.e. the second day i got my C32 i went to NC for price information on the M5. They told me it's $8k over the window, and i just laughed. I ask them the reason, they said because it is a M5. I mean what kind of reason is that. Also the sales from NC were giving me attitude because they saw me drive into their lot in a C32.

btw I was in the market for the M3 myself. I didn't choose the M3, not because of the blown engine problem, but because of M3 is a two door that does not suit my needs anymore.
Old 09-21-2002, 05:21 AM

S60R, ML320, W211/E350
I do agree with you that both dealership sales people are major A-Holes. There is no wonder why they are A-holes, look at the dealer ships name, My parents pronounce it "As ho*e" BMW... I guess you have to be a A-hole to work at "A-hole" BMW.

That is why I ended up buy all of my Bimmers from Shelly BMW. But the service writer at Assael was really good to me.

If you are still interested in the M5, I can get it at MSRP. Also the M3 at MSRP. I don't work there, but have bought and brought enough business to them over the years.... I may even get it cheaper now that the demands are slowing down. I asked when the M3 first came out when other dealers were adding $5K over.
Old 09-21-2002, 05:39 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally posted by xyzpl
I do agree with you that both dealership sales people are major A-Holes. There is no wonder why they are A-holes, look at the dealer ships name, My parents pronounce it "As ho*e" BMW... I guess you have to be a A-hole to work at "A-hole" BMW.

That is why I ended up buy all of my Bimmers from Shelly BMW. But the service writer at Assael was really good to me.

If you are still interested in the M5, I can get it at MSRP. Also the M3 at MSRP. I don't work there, but have bought and brought enough business to them over the years.... I may even get it cheaper now that the demands are slowing down. I asked when the M3 first came out when other dealers were adding $5K over.
That's what my dad call Assael BMW too...haha A-hole BMW.

I got my previous car from ShellyBMW back in 2000. My previous car was a 328CI sport/premium auto.

Actually My brother is the one that is interested in the M5 (i can't drive a stick shift), but he still can't decide because the New 5 is about to hit the market. I'm just doing volunteer field work for my dad and my brother because I love cars.

I got my car from Charles Paz. He is a great guy. I remember when his office was still up front, now, he has a private office in the back. He told my dad that we are welcome anytime if we make up our mind about the M5 or the next 5er. They are selling for msrp for both M3 and M5. The M5 is even negotiable

btw what year is your CLK430? how do you like it? Hopefully i didn't sound like a brat before.

Last edited by FrankW; 09-21-2002 at 05:48 AM.
Old 09-21-2002, 02:50 PM

S60R, ML320, W211/E350
I have a 99 CLK, and I just need more power!!!! Got it for a few months now, don't know how long i will keep it... I average out about 9.5 months per car.... since i was 16...

No, you did not sound like a brat, everyone is entitle to their opinions.
Old 09-21-2002, 04:28 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
More power is always GOOD
Old 09-21-2002, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by linh
Sleestack,

I admired everything you have done to your car and i properly would do the same as you too if i have that kind of spare money. But do you think it worthy spending so much $$$$ trying to get every once of hp power out of that engine because i heard that it been in the shop alot. I think this is the third time you has mention it in the shop.

M3 SMG is an awsome car but the Audi, i just don't like the style.
Its not about value for me. I have a generous amount of discretionary income and enjoy doing things a little different. I just happen to like the W208 so I decided to use that car and mod it to the max. It has been in the shop for upgrades, never because of any problems. I'm not just trying to get hp out of the car, I'm also looking at many other aspects of the car.

As for the M3, it is one of several cars I'm considering... I just want a daily driver coupe that I can mod and have a little fun in.
Old 09-22-2002, 05:08 AM

Re: Come-on guys....i don't hate Ben, i just don't like when he give misleading spec.....

Originally posted by linh
Damp KevinV !! You hit the nail right on the head. That's exactly what i was try to say......

if Ben say the Clk43K can do 0-60 in 4.9 (just like Kleemann claimed it would be) and a side note saying, but with wider tire, slick tires..etc. that it might hit 0-60 in 4.0s. But he didn't say anything about wider tire or slick tires in his responsed to the Q's
Not easy for a CLK43K finish 60 mph in 4.0S,Kleemann claimed
CLK50K by 4.6S, it sounds about right.
I'm guessing Sleestack,king of CLK ,plan mod his car to 4WD
Then it's possible to be high 3" from existing power he had.
Top secret !
Old 09-22-2002, 04:46 PM
ktm

Originally posted by anthem
I'm curious, linh. Where did Ben say it would do 4.0 seconds ? I didn't see it anywhere. I saw 'in the fours', and I haven't seen anything otherwise.

The issue here is that you have called someone else a 'liar', and I'm still trying to determine where the lie is ? I can't even say he bent the truth - because there wasn't any bending here.
Well, Linh doesn't speak (write) English so what makes you think he can read and understand what someone is telling him?
Old 09-22-2002, 08:28 PM

1. a little off thread....but I kinda like the smoked lights on the Audi, maybe not that dark....but the red on the CLK is a little bright against a dark car. Hopefully http://www.m-h-w.de/ will have them soon....they already make the smoked and clear ones for the W210. Just pray they don't do Altezzas.

2. I think on a good day the 43K can get into the 4's 0-60....but I do not believe that it will do sub 13's...ever (low 13's at best.) If 14.00 was the best that Kleemann could do at 4500' then even with full NA correction, it is 13.30.

3. Sleestack's car I have no doubts will break into the 12's...there is not much else that he can do to eek out more performance...hmmm.....perhaps the same thing to a 55 engine. (guessing)

4. I believe that with what Mach430 says he is going to do to his....it will be sub 13 soon enough.

5. I remember Sleestack mentioning that he was interested in twin turbo charging a Modena......would love to see that.

6. Finally....Sleestack, if you are going to create such a monster with your CLK.....clearly your current differential is too high. Please consider donating it to a poor soul who live at 5800'...(hint)
Old 09-23-2002, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 mercedes clk coupe
hey dont forget to invite us......

lynn in near calabas so let us know

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Come-on guys....i don't hate Ben, i just disagreed with what he said........