CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Excessive vibration at 55mph+

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excessive vibration at 55mph+

I've got a '99 CLK 430 that I just bought used with 65,000. The tires were shot (separated) and didn't even pass state inspection. If you've seen some of the POS on the streets in Missouri, you know it isn't difficult to pass!

With new tires and wheels balanced at Autotire (a chain in the Midwest), I figured the shakes would be gone.

They're not.

I don't think it's drivetrain related, because it only happens above 55mph, there's no shaking accelerating from 0-45 or so (even hard acceleration doesn't cause shaking).

I thought it might be our crappy roads here and I'm just not used to a sports car's stiffness (I used to drive an Accord), but even on smooth roads I get the shakes at highway speeds.

The dealer thinks it might be the alignment.

Any other opinions?

Brake rotors warped?
control arms?
rim out of round?
suspension gone bad? (I don't think this is it because at slower speeds like 20-40 on rough roads the ride is no worse than in other cars).

Why did I trade the Honda for all these problems?

Well, for one the 2003 Accord has big electrical problem with the radio/AC/time display in the console. There's some resistor that blows, leaving the backlight dead. There's no way to fix it other than to order a whole new unit from Japan and have it installed. About $800-$1,200 depending on where you live. This caused such a big stink that Honda did a "silent recall" job and told dealers to do the work for free under warranty, and to goodwill for those out of warranty per their discretion (e.g. yell enough and you might get it). Wouldn't you know, my honda was out of warranty.

All cars have problems, but when I fix them, I want the car I just fixed to be a benz.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:51 PM

2016 C450 AMG
Everything you said is possible. I have the same type of vibration. Most of it went away with new tires, however, the deler told me my rim was slightly bent, and that was causing the remaining vibration. Ive also heard that a worn center link can cause vibrations. good luck!
Old 03-14-2007, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 clk320
I would check the front rims for any bends, any good tire shop should be able to tell you if that's the case. I had the same on think going on my car at certain speeds it would my steering wheel would shake and after many balancing of the front tires, I finally went to a mechanic that my cousin recomended, he checked all 4 wheels and put the ones that were in best shape. No problem ever since
The following users liked this post:
2MERKS (11-19-2021)
Old 03-14-2007, 07:11 PM

02 E55; 99 CLK430 (Sold)
Same thing happened on my car. It shakes between 50-55 mph. When I had my tires put on the wheels, the guy never said anything about the wheels being slightly out of round but after I put new tires on at a different dealership they told me 2 of them were slightly out of round. So, like everyone else said, it could be a number of things but you may want to get another opinion as well.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:00 PM

The dealer says my right front rim was bent in two places so badly it can't be hammered out. No wonder the car shook like a crackhead.

Plus, Autotire completely screwed up my wheel balance when I got new tires (however, they were $500 cheaper than having the dealer install them). The dealer fixed the balance on all 4 tires for $80 and now I have to buy a new rim. 17" AMG rims aren't cheap. Son of a......

So, my "new to me" CLK 430 has gone from costing $17,500 to $19,000. However, they tell me this is the last of it. If that's true, then I won't feel bad about the purchase.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
2002 CLK430
I don't know about your dealer, but I know plenty of dealers who's standard answer to bent rims or "bent anything else" is "replace subsystem". I don't know of any southern California dealer who'll fix a rim. "Some" will farm out the work, others just give you list price on a new one. That said, are you buying a used rim, a new knockoff, a real deal AMG wheel from an aftermarket place, or (gulp) an AMG wheel from an MB dealer?

Lastly, the last set of tires I bought were from Tirerack. My local MB dealer installed & balanced the new tires, and disposed of the old tires for $100.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:55 PM

01 CLK430
I have the same problem. I have brand new rims, tires, all balanced, all have hub-centric spacers. I'm not sure what is causing this damn annoying problem. Probably the only thing I hate about my car right now. new Rotors as well.

Last edited by Geovannie; 03-15-2007 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:57 PM

I'm getting a real AMG rim from the dealer. Yeah, ouch is right. The dealer is charging about $150 more (including install) than I've seen 17" AMG's advertised on ebay. Of course, with ebay you never know if they're real or used or whatever.

Like I said, if this fixes it, then I'm cool. The overall price would still have been reasonable.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Take a look at your suspension bushings....particularly the main bushing for the lower control arm. These OE rubber bushings provide very little support and do not last very long.

Yesterday, I located a company selling polyurethane main bushings for the W202 c-class on ebay. They run $50 per side. The picture on ebay is yellow, but they come in black.

I triple-checked with my MB-indie and he's already ordered a set for his W208 CLK55 cabrio, which suffers from the same issue. In fact he showed me the damaged/worn bushings. He advised this should be an excellent 'fix' for the shimmy. They should fit perfectly as we have the exact same lower control arms as the W202s.

The W202 guys have been using these for a couple years....

Look here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c36-amg-c43-amg-w202/117233-has-anyone-changed-their-lower-control-arm-bushings-themselves.html

As soon as I receive them and have them installed and tested, I'll post my feedback. Hopefully, this will get rid of that annoying 60mph vibration!
Old 03-20-2007, 09:07 PM

'02 CLK55
Originally Posted by Chappy
Take a look at your suspension bushings....particularly the main bushing for the lower control arm. These OE rubber bushings provide very little support and do not last very long.

Yesterday, I located a company selling polyurethane main bushings for the W202 c-class on ebay. They run $50 per side. The picture on ebay is yellow, but they come in black.

I triple-checked with my MB-indie and he's already ordered a set for his W208 CLK55 cabrio, which suffers from the same issue. In fact he showed me the damaged/worn bushings. He advised this should be an excellent 'fix' for the shimmy. They should fit perfectly as we have the exact same lower control arms as the W202s.

The W202 guys have been using these for a couple years....

Look here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117233

As soon as I receive them and have them installed and tested, I'll post my feedback. Hopefully, this will get rid of that annoying 60mph vibration!

Where did you order them from...ya gotta post when you are done and let us know any change. I think this is my next purchase.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:08 AM
Almost a Member!

CLK 430
I have had that same problem since i bought mine. Balanced the wheels, changed the tires, had my front suspension chacked out by MB dealer ($100 down the drain)!!!

Dude...check your rims for any bends. some bends cannot be seen very easily with the naked eye. had them fixed and noticed a definate improvement. still vibrates but negligable.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by Zoom On
Where did you order them from...ya gotta post when you are done and let us know any change. I think this is my next purchase.
I ordered them on ebay from a place in Duarte, CA called LPD Auto Parts.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....37&postcount=6
Old 10-21-2021, 11:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W208
Vibration solution!!!

Originally Posted by jeremy77
I've got a '99 CLK 430 that I just bought used with 65,000. The tires were shot (separated) and didn't even pass state inspection. If you've seen some of the POS on the streets in Missouri, you know it isn't difficult to pass!

With new tires and wheels balanced at Autotire (a chain in the Midwest), I figured the shakes would be gone.

They're not.

I don't think it's drivetrain related, because it only happens above 55mph, there's no shaking accelerating from 0-45 or so (even hard acceleration doesn't cause shaking).

I thought it might be our crappy roads here and I'm just not used to a sports car's stiffness (I used to drive an Accord), but even on smooth roads I get the shakes at highway speeds.

The dealer thinks it might be the alignment.

Any other opinions?

Brake rotors warped?
control arms?
rim out of round?
suspension gone bad? (I don't think this is it because at slower speeds like 20-40 on rough roads the ride is no worse than in other cars).

Why did I trade the Honda for all these problems?

Well, for one the 2003 Accord has big electrical problem with the radio/AC/time display in the console. There's some resistor that blows, leaving the backlight dead. There's no way to fix it other than to order a whole new unit from Japan and have it installed. About $800-$1,200 depending on where you live. This caused such a big stink that Honda did a "silent recall" job and told dealers to do the work for free under warranty, and to goodwill for those out of warranty per their discretion (e.g. yell enough and you might get it). Wouldn't you know, my honda was out of warranty.

All cars have problems, but when I fix them, I want the car I just fixed to be a benz.
Hello guys, after 5 years I discover that the problem was the transmission, specifically the lock up system, it was slipping and that's what produces the damn vibration.
After 1000 wheel balances, change tyres and long etcetera.

Greetings

JM
The following 2 users liked this post by jmcabezas:
2MERKS (11-19-2021), Joseph Mullins (05-13-2024)