CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Question for CLKfan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2007 | 07:34 AM

2002 CLK 430
Question for CLKfan

Hey man-I was trying to put 20's on my clk and wanted to do 10's on the back and 81/2's on the frontk. When the place went to put the 10's on the back they ran into a problem and said they couldnt fit. Some of the other members said that you just ran a staggered fitment with the same specs. What do I need to tell these yahoos to do to get these wheels on?

Thanks for all your help.
Old 03-29-2007 | 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' CLK55
Originally Posted by thillegonds
Hey man-I was trying to put 20's on my clk and wanted to do 10's on the back and 81/2's on the frontk. When the place went to put the 10's on the back they ran into a problem and said they couldnt fit. Some of the other members said that you just ran a staggered fitment with the same specs. What do I need to tell these yahoos to do to get these wheels on?

the 20X10's your shop tried on the rear were not the correct offset, that's why they didn't fit.
Old 03-29-2007 | 02:30 PM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by clkal
the 20X10's your shop tried on the rear were not the correct offset, that's why they didn't fit.
Al: That sucks. Does that mean that he has to exchange/send back the rims he has for ones with the correct offset or is there some other way to correct?
Old 03-29-2007 | 03:06 PM

2002 CLK 430
I really appreciate the advice that you guys have given me on this. I ended up calling the custom shop and telling them that what they told me was unacceptable. I told them that for the kind of money I was spending on these wheels that they needed to figure out how to fit the 20x10's or I wasnt going to get them. The guy was pretty apologetic and said that he didnt see why it wouldnt work so he's calling giavonna to get the right size ordered and calling me back.

I also spoke with him about lowering the car and he said that the 02's actually had an adjustable suspension as an option...I didnt know that, dont know if I have it, but if it's true, would i be able to just adjust it without ordering a complete new suspension?
Old 03-29-2007 | 04:03 PM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
I really appreciate the advice that you guys have given me on this. I ended up calling the custom shop and telling them that what they told me was unacceptable. I told them that for the kind of money I was spending on these wheels that they needed to figure out how to fit the 20x10's or I wasnt going to get them. The guy was pretty apologetic and said that he didnt see why it wouldnt work so he's calling giavonna to get the right size ordered and calling me back.

I also spoke with him about lowering the car and he said that the 02's actually had an adjustable suspension as an option...I didnt know that, dont know if I have it, but if it's true, would i be able to just adjust it without ordering a complete new suspension?
Hmm. I know the CLs have the adjustable suspension (they have problems with the pumps that do the lifting and dropping going bad. A $2500 repair from what I've read!). I'm not sure about the Ks.

I don't know that this is the shop's fault UNLESS they ordered the wheels for you. Then you could pin it on them. If YOU ordered the wheels, whoever took the order should have done due-diligence to make sure what they were selling you what was going to work!

Easy goes it man. Sounds like you're trying to do the complete pimp job (teasing) before the summa is here! Get them rear wheels to fit first and go from there. Ask about a drop after you get them wheels tucked in real smoove-like....
Old 03-29-2007 | 04:10 PM

2002 CLK 430
Damn, ya read me like a book. Patience has never been my best quality...

Actually, it was the shop that ordered the rims so it was legitimately their mistake...they seem to be willing to work with me though so it shouldnt be too much of a problem. But your right, i need to just get the rims to fit, put them on , see how i like them and how high the car sits and go from there...

But your right, pimp before the summa is the name of the game!! Now if only I could find a shop that will install a nice lookin brunette in the passenger seat we'd be rollin!
Old 03-29-2007 | 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
Now if only I could find a shop that will install a nice lookin brunette in the passenger seat we'd be rollin!
Hell, you get those rims slid on and a nice as* drop to go with it and the Brunette may just come thrown in for free!! Well at least thats the way its supposed to work man!!

Greg
Old 03-29-2007 | 04:39 PM

2002 CLK 430
Ha ha! I think I'm gonna have to find out...it's crazy man, I moved from Chicago to Atlanta at the beginning of the month and these chicks down here are bonkers...it's cool though, a big change, to go with the new car of course. new city, new car, and hopefully, new chick.
Old 03-29-2007 | 04:47 PM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
Damn, ya read me like a book. Patience has never been my best quality...

Actually, it was the shop that ordered the rims so it was legitimately their mistake...they seem to be willing to work with me though so it shouldnt be too much of a problem. But your right, i need to just get the rims to fit, put them on , see how i like them and how high the car sits and go from there...

But your right, pimp before the summa is the name of the game!! Now if only I could find a shop that will install a nice lookin brunette in the passenger seat we'd be rollin!
I feel ya man. I just fear it's going to take TIME to reverse the mistake. If they have to re-order rears (20X10 with the correct offset) for you, it could take a week or two.

And you're only thinking like the rest of us. Get your stuff in order before the really good weather hits. I can't really afford much right now but I MUST put a bumper on. Riding around with cracked up schit ain't cool. And I have to put a coat wax on too (Zaino?) cuz the old black is starting to lose it a little. My sled looked sad the other day (dirty). I didn't even want to park anywhere near BlackBenzz's new 55. *LOL*
Old 03-29-2007 | 04:52 PM

2002 CLK 430
How bout it! Time is the big issue...I travel a ton so it's pretty limiting as to when i can actually do these things...but it should all work out in the end. I figure it's better to do it right than do it fast and do it wrong. And about the money, good lord, i dont know if i'm going to be able to AFFORD a girl after I get done with all this nonsense!
Old 03-29-2007 | 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Current: AMG GT-C. Sold: 01 CLK55, 00 ML55, 01 ML55, 06 E55
whats the offset? Should be around 37 mm i think...either front or back is 37. the other is 32 mm. If it's different, you can go to handr.com and find some hubcentric spacers to make it work...5 10 12 or 15 mm, whichever makes the offset back to 32 or 37 (look in the other threads, you'll find it)
Old 03-30-2007 | 06:45 AM

2002 CLK 430
Thanks for tip, i'll check it out.
Old 03-30-2007 | 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 3.2

Sorry I took so long to respond. One main thing that I have going on with my car is that all of my fenders have been pulled and rolled because of the extreme fittment I had with prior 19's that I had because my car is soo slammed. But to answer you question about sizes and fittments...this is what I have going on right now. This set up should fit your car even if it's lowered.

This is what's on my car right now and I barely rub on the driver side but this is because my car is much lower than any other CLK around because my springs are cut.

Driver Side
Sevas S-55 - Black Chrome Lip
20x8.5 ET 40mm - 225/30/20
20x10 ET 40mm w/5mm spacer - 245/30/20

Passenger Side
Sevas S-22 - Black Chrome Lip
20x8.5 ET 40mm - 225/30/20
20x10 ET 40mm w/5mm spacer - 245/30/20

Here's a link to see what they look like on my car also:
https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208/184240-new-cleaner-pics-today-my-new-shoes.html
Old 03-30-2007 | 09:49 AM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
And about the money, good lord, i dont know if i'm going to be able to AFFORD a girl after I get done with all this nonsense!
A true playa will make THEM pay for dinner!

Pimpin ain't easy! *hawhaw*
Old 03-30-2007 | 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Current: AMG GT-C. Sold: 01 CLK55, 00 ML55, 01 ML55, 06 E55
See, w/ the 20x10 u need TINY tires.... i'm still amazed that 245 30 20 can even stretch across a 10" wheel!
Old 03-30-2007 | 11:00 AM

2002 CLK 430
CLK FAN-- Thanks for getting back to me. I'ma throw those specs at the shop and see what they say. You ride looks sweet. I'm hopin' by the end of this that I can say the same. Thanks.
Old 03-30-2007 | 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 3.2
CLK FAN-- Thanks for getting back to me. I'ma throw those specs at the shop and see what they say. You ride looks sweet. I'm hopin' by the end of this that I can say the same. Thanks.
I rub on the rear driver side...I just wanted to clarify because I wasn't specific. And remember, I think I rub because my car is extremely low. You shouldn't rub if you have a normal drop. And if your car is not lowered you can go with 255/30/20 on the rears.
Old 03-30-2007 | 12:49 PM

2002 CLK 430
Cool. I just talked to the shop and they confirmed it wouldnt be a problem. But of course now the wheels wont be here until Wednesday. So much for the weekend. Anyway, if I wanted to go with performance brakes, something nice and sharp looking, but no where near the price of a Brembo Kit, could you point me in another direction? Thanks for all your help. As soon as its done i'll throw up a couple of pics...
Old 03-30-2007 | 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' CLK55
Cool. I just talked to the shop and they confirmed it wouldnt be a problem. But of course now the wheels wont be here until Wednesday. So much for the weekend. Anyway, if I wanted to go with performance brakes, something nice and sharp looking, but no where near the price of a Brembo Kit, could you point me in another direction? Thanks for all your help. As soon as its done i'll throw up a couple of pics...

you can upgrade to the 01-03' C32 AMG brakes. or the C55 brakes =)

They bolt right on, w/o any major modifications.

A complete front set, with rotors, calipers, pads, and lines runs about $500-600 =)