CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Replacing CLK430 to CLK55 ??BAD??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Mercedes S550 Brabus
Replacing CLK430 to CLK55 ??BAD??

I have CLK430 convertible and I got "55" emblem from my friend. I didn't replace the badge yet... but what do you guys think?

Is it misrepresentation on my car?
Will I look a lame person?

I was going to replace to "55" emblem not to misrepresent anyone, but I just like the look... that's all... All my friends know that I drive 430 and obviously I am not trying to convince anybody that I drive CLK55 Cab.

I would like to hear some comments.... If a lot of people think that's gay and lame, I wouldn't put it. Just asking before I get a$$ kicked by other people.

See other thread "help" where there is a debate going on about the badge....
Old 10-30-2002, 05:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL 500
It's a individual thing..

sup Blackbaby

if it makes u feel better..go for it! Else i would suggest, trade up and buy a clk55 cab and drive the real thing.. it all depends on your motivation..If to impress others..then do it.. be mindful, if some guy in an m3 wants to test you, u don't have a prayer. If image isn't your concern..stick w/ the the original or go with the clean look..no emblems on the back.. most folks won't know the difference anyway..only ones in the know can tell if it's an amg or not.

djamer
Old 10-30-2002, 05:16 PM

2007 S
That was my post you were talking about. I copied it into here to make it easier:

Originally posted by Anthem
Yes, I agree that it has been discussed. It's quite simple actually. It's only a problem to those who are trying to assimilate to a group that ins't is where the debate arises.

I think in the purist sense of badging - you leave it up to the manufacturer. If you have AMG wheels, they are badged AMG. The body kit isn't, but thats another story, but that doesn't make the car "AMG". Your choice to stick the AMG badge on their is your advertisement of such (that you have some AMG parts), but by no means is it an AMG.

My take is this, AMG badges their car the way THEY see fit. It's the tuners perogative and their decision to make, NOT ours. As much as we would like it to be that way, anything after the fact, whether you replaced the whole damn engine or not, isn't really an AMG. It's got AMG parts, hell it might be entirely AMG parts and have more AMG parts than an AMG car, but it still isn't an AMG.

You want to know why ? AMG doesn't call it an AMG. If the manufacturer/tuner doesn't call it an AMG, then it just plain isn't.

It's really simple at that point. I know a lot of people would like to believe that they have AMG's or other tuners like Brabus, Kleemann, RennTech, et al, and many want to be associated with it, but if they don't call that car a Kleemann, it just aint. Period. They'll sell you the badge, but that's your decision to call that car something.

-If I buy a ton of computer parts, put it together and use a Compaq keyboard and monitor, it doesn't make it a Compaq.

-If I put Titleist grips on my lookalike putter, it doesn't make it a Scotty Cameron putter.

-If you use some West Coast Chopper parts on a harley, it doesn't make it a Jesse James bike.

The only way a car is actually what signifies it is if the designator recognizes it as that. Anyone can draw it as they see fit, but to the actual designator, anything else is just mis-representing.
It's not going to make a difference here or there what people say. You can do what you want, but I imagine you'll probably put the AMG on the other side as well - and yes, you're posing/misrepresenting. You don't have a 5.5 engine which the 55 represents and you don't have an AMG which is what the AMG represents. You'll look lame to anyone who knows what an AMG really is. You'll also get killed by the majority of cars out there who can easily take on a 430 but not a 55. Hey, you may make a Nissan Sentra kill board ("I killed an CLK55 out there today"). . . .

Now, like I said, if you need to stroke your ego and want to do it - its up to you - but IMO, yeah your seriously mis-representing. The AMG badge is one thing where you have some AMG parts (its still IMO, but thats my pure defintion), but the CLK55 definitely misrepresents your car.
Old 10-30-2002, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think it's fine to change your badge to CLK55 as long as when people ask you if it's a real CLK55 you don't say "Yeah!"

-Bruce
Old 10-30-2002, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
I am ok with putting an AMG badge on a 430, but i think putting a 55 is kinda 'cheap'... that is robbing true 55 owners of their $$$ toys

but hey, if that makes you feel better, go ahead. but, if u put the 55, you better put the dual exhaust, else anyone that knows, will know.
Old 10-30-2002, 06:35 PM

2007 S
Originally posted by mmgrad
I am ok with putting an AMG badge on a 430, but i think putting a 55 is kinda 'cheap'... that is robbing true 55 owners of their $$$ toys

but hey, if that makes you feel better, go ahead. but, if u put the 55, you better put the dual exhaust, else anyone that knows, will know.
mmgrad, I know we agree to disagree on this :-). but what difference does it make putting the 55 or the AMG logo on the stock 430. Yeah, the 55 misrepresents the engine inside, the AMG misrepresents the entire car and does the same thing. AMG has one CLK model, the CLK55. Thats it, end of story. That's what they call an AMG. . .

Now, in terms of what makes your own ego feel better, yeah you can do anything you want. I wouldn't worry about cheating the CLK55 owners, they get enough fun on their own in a real 55. You can even make it an Kleemann CLK55K if you want. The last thing you need to worry about is the CLK55 owners ego, this is purely about stroking your own and one being true to oneself or not. You'll be making the excuses on the line though when an M3/M5, C32, or a Maxima pulls up. . . .

The exterior changes are only the dual exhaust tips. The interior is quite significant (dials, leather, etc) that most 320/430 owners don't pony up to. For a CLK55, I've seen enough, and a dead giveaway other than the dual exhaust and exhaust notes is the rear sunscreen. You can see it from the outside in daylight and most 320/430 owners don't get it (the CLK55's have it). You'll know its just a fake poser then. . .
Old 10-30-2002, 07:15 PM

'06 E350
Stoopid

Why would you wanna pose? You have a great car. Folks that care, will know your're a fake. Those that don't know, don't care.

Spend your money on a new pair of shoes...you'll get more mileage.

fubar
Old 10-30-2002, 07:17 PM

Hey Black Baby

I saw your pics of your car and that car is absolutely perfect without the 55 emblem. In fact, it's absolutely perfect as is. I know a lot of the people on this board customize their cars (and man, do they do a seriously nice job!), but I, for one, absolutely love the stock CLK 430. I say, save your $2000, forget the xenons (HID or OEM) and just enjoy your car! If you absolutely must stand out from a crowd, get some nice 18-19" rims, preferably 2 piece modular designs and get some Brembos, if you know what I mean!

If you want to partake in the MB CLK community without modifying the heck out of your car, then do what I do, wash and detail that black beauty often (I have a black 01 430 coupe), because black is the hardest color to keep looking tip top. Do your own maintenance (as much as safety permits, which, in my case, means oil changes and nothing else!). Those things will have you nice and close to your car.

Hope I've inspired you to take a walk out to the garage to see your car (my neighbor calls mine the "batmobile" because it's black and fast, and disappears into my batcave).

One thing you could do is get some black emblems (I started a thread on this, but there's no solution reached on that thread) to replace all that chrome stuff.
Old 10-30-2002, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, no need to pose, you have a great car

Besides, look at it this way:
- for those that don't know about the car, they can't tell the difference if you change it or you dont
- for those that do, you'll look like an ***
Old 10-30-2002, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by anthem
For a CLK55, I've seen enough, and a dead giveaway other than the dual exhaust and exhaust notes is the rear sunscreen. You can see it from the outside in daylight and most 320/430 owners don't get it (the CLK55's have it). You'll know its just a fake poser then. . .
the rear sunscreen comes as a package. Everyone who ordered the K3 package has the sunscreen. So, any CLK coupe you see with a sunroof, probably got it with the K3 package (i'd say a good 85%+) will have a sunscreen.

i know there are significant differences in the AMG versus non. like you said, the dial and leather, and also the center console materials, the steering wheel.

Like i said, i totally agree with what you're saying about badging. But I still think that slapping on an AMG badge is not posing... because no matter what, those who know will know, those who don't, aren't worth the time. and I don't think its 'posing' if you leave the 430 on there... maybe you put it to represent your rims... some put brabus, lorinser, carlsson... why? because maybe they have their rims, or bodykit, or maybe even had their engines tuned by them... if they proud, they should represent. that is very different from 'misrepresenting'

Heres my outlook... if you want to 'pose', then go all the way. steering wheel, rims, dash, dials, exhaust, etc.... but by the time you realize how much $$$ you are putting into it, just sell your dam car and get a real AMG. Cause if you simply put a 55 and an AMG badge, you ain't fooling anyone. Anyone you fool, isn't worth your time talking to since they don't know A from B.
Old 10-30-2002, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350, S320, Mini Cooper S
don't do it
Old 10-30-2002, 11:16 PM

2003 CLK430 Cabriolet
Why do people keep posting questions about rebadging their cars as if asking for permission and approval to do it. If you want to rebadge your car and pretend to have something you don't have, at least have the spine to not care what other people think and just do it. Why do you need people on this board approval to do something to your own car. 99% of us on this board will probably never see your car on the road anyway.

Last edited by KevinV; 10-30-2002 at 11:19 PM.
Old 10-31-2002, 12:37 AM

///M3
My piece of advice, debadge and leave it like that. It will look clean and neat.
Old 10-31-2002, 11:33 AM
Almost a Member!

YES. It will look both lame and stupid.

People can be divided into two categories: those that know what "55 AMG" means and those that don't.

The first group will be able to tell that you are not driving the AMG version by the exhaust, interior badges, etc and will think it's stupid and lame (many posts on this and other forums will confirm this).

The second group will really not care about what your badge says.
Old 10-31-2002, 01:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would debadge it.
Old 10-31-2002, 04:04 PM

CLS 500
I would just put AMG badge on. Because that's universal. If you put CLK55 it's like putting a CLK430 badge onto a CLK320 vehical. Anyhow it's your car, you can anything to it. It's just an opinion from moi.
Old 11-01-2002, 03:32 AM

S60R, ML320, W211/E350
If you got AMG parts on it, then it would be okay IMHO, since you are just telling people I got AMG parts, but I fail to see any reason why you would put a 55 on a 430.

Unless you are planning tobore it out to 5.5... than go ahead and do it.

That's like the people who buy license plate frames that says "mercedes" I mean for MOST people on the road, they know you drive a Mercedes, they don't need another reminder that reinforces what they already know... you drive a Mercedes...

Or heck how about putting a "Kompressor" badge on the car!!! without having a supercharger... That looks pretty cool....

I know, it sounds stupid, but to me it it's like the same thing... trying to be something your not...

But in the end, it is your car, your money, so it really is all up to you.
Old 11-01-2002, 05:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E400 COUPE SOLD -> Porsche Taycan 4S
in the end, its your car and you can do whatever you want...

b
Old 11-02-2002, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Hey - it's HALLOWEEN!...a couple days late, but --

Dress her up!!

- don't forget the pumkin spraypaint on the AMG logo.
Old 11-02-2002, 03:08 AM

Re: It's a individual thing..

Originally posted by djamer
sup Blackbaby

if it makes u feel better..go for it! Else i would suggest, trade up and buy a clk55 cab and drive the real thing.. it all depends on your motivation..If to impress others..then do it.. be mindful, if some guy in an m3 wants to test you, u don't have a prayer. If image isn't your concern..stick w/ the the original or go with the clean look..no emblems on the back.. most folks won't know the difference anyway..only ones in the know can tell if it's an amg or not.

djamer
hehe... i am not sure if I am going to put 55 badge on it yet. First of all, I do not have money to buy CLK55 Conv. I am a very poor little student and the car was a present from my dad. And.... if some guy with M3 wants to test my car, I will just crash it into some garage, so that he can't even turn on the engine.
Old 11-02-2002, 03:15 AM

My conclusion...

I have decided to put other badge... don't care if it looks dirty or not. It's my car and that's right...I can do anything I want~

I am going to put CLK 435 This is a new version baby!~! Only available at my car~ kekeke

I will just debadge 0 and put 5 instead. One member told that "everyone" who knows about CLK55 can tell the difference, I will just put CLK435. NO ONE WILL KNOW WHAT CLK435 IS.

If anyone think I am stupid, e-mail me and I will give you my phone number, so that you can talk ***** about me in person.

KEKEKE
Old 11-02-2002, 03:16 AM

OH

how about 450??? CLK450.... have you ever seen that car lately?
Old 11-02-2002, 10:38 AM

2007 S
Look, you know that you can do anything you want. So go ahead and do it. However, if you're asking others for approval, you aren't going to really get a consensus (or even a majority). As you can tell, quite a few people don't think its a good idea, but all agree that you can do whatever you want.

In terms of whether its stupid, I won't go there. Is it still mis-representing ? Yes. You don't have CLK450 - whatever the hell that is (MB does make some international models with different size engines, but the 450 hasn't been here in awhile). Anything that you put on there that doesn't represent the actual car you have is posing. It's like a inferiority complex over what you have. If you don't want anybody to know what car you have, just debadge. Anything else you put up there IMO is lame, misrepresenting and foolish.
Old 11-02-2002, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i'm gonna have to simply side to anthem with this.

anything you change in your badging is simply posing and mis-representing. CLK450? why not just go CLK550?? Both seem foolish and stupid, but you don't seem to care about what others think (which goes against your post of 'wanting our opinion') Either debadge or leave it alone.

but hey, do what you want.
Old 11-02-2002, 03:56 PM

do this bud, 55C4L3k0 this will look awesome with ur sense of humour!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Replacing CLK430 to CLK55 ??BAD??