CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK Stereo Wiring

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 03:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W208 CLK 320 '01, C207 E 350 Diesel Coupé '09
Originally Posted by MarcusF
I’m going to guess this is a non-US spec car (RoW). I say that because I thought the 2001 Mercedes US press kit stated Bose was standard.
Yes... Swedish specs (ie larger battery, headlights always on, heated chairs...).
Old 05-03-2012, 12:36 PM

2002 CLK 430 convertible
Aftermarket radio install (Bose System)

Hello,

Trying to install an aftermarket 2din radio on my 02 Clk 430 and got info that wasn't right. If someone can help me with decoding the wiring harness so I can match it up to the aftermarket wire harness to the radio. I do have a 4 channel converter

Is there a quick connect plug that I can buy, I bought the Metra 70-1787 VW (think that's the number) and it did not match up... I bought a Nitro BMW-global head unit.

Thanks
Old 05-03-2012, 01:23 PM

2002 CLK 430 convertible
Is there a wiring diagram for the factory radio that can tell me what wires go to what. The problem seems to be the wiring to hook the amp up because its not in RCA plug in form... They make wiring harnesses for everything but my car. I just need some instructions on how to hook an after market unit up with out having to have the car rewired... Thanks
Old 05-03-2012, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts
2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by RjHavack
Is there a wiring diagram for the factory radio that can tell me what wires go to what. The problem seems to be the wiring to hook the amp up because its not in RCA plug in form... They make wiring harnesses for everything but my car. I just need some instructions on how to hook an after market unit up with out having to have the car rewired... Thanks
In the middle of this webpage is a photo of a wiring harness adapter. The photo shows what each wire in both of the lower two ports does. The upper port on the radio is used for steering wheel controls.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:33 AM

2002 CLK 430 convertible
Thanks.... Had to move some wires to match and bam' it worked. the only thing now is trying to find a Steering Wheel unit to use on the Nitro BMW Global unit I have. I bought one but returned bcuz it would work with the unit. I have Key 1 and 2 wires on my deck but don't know how to hook those up to make SWC work.... any suggestions

Last edited by RjHavack; 05-05-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:13 PM

2001 Mercedes Benz Clk320 Coupe
Brown=Ground

Originally Posted by Steed
Not to but still have a problem -
2000 CLK 430 Not BOSE

BLUE/RED = CONSTANT 12V POWER - CHECK
BLUE/WHITE = AMPS TURN ON (ACCORDING TO THE POST) - CHECK
GREEN/PINK= I DO NOT HAVE THIS WIRE****** - ?????

NOW FOR THE ONES NOT MENTIONED ON THIS POST

BROWN THICK WIRE NEXT TO BLUE/RED SAME HARNESS* ????? I THINK THIS IS MY GROUND.
YELLOW/BLACK WIRE - SAME HARNESS*????
GREEN/RED -SAME HARNESS*????

I can get the aftermarket stereo power on, but I cannot find the GREEN/PINK wire in the harness that is the ACC power. I have wired many stereos before but this is getting rediculas.. can you guys help an idiot out?

Thanks
If i am not mistaken all of the brown wires in a benz are ground wires. The green pink is actually the cigarette lighter which is often used as an ignition alternative for the switched power.

Last edited by Joseph Donovan; 10-14-2018 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Additional referrence
Old 07-19-2020, 02:28 AM

2003 CLK 430 convertible
The cigarette lighter

Originally Posted by jbenz99
true ...i can't find that green/pink ign wire! it not there on my 2000 clk 430 w/bose system plus i check for current on all wire when i turn ign to position one and there isn't no ign voltage but i do find it that contanst 12 v from the blue red! can any one help me out please i know i can try to find it on the other switch like the heated seat for example cause when switch is on it work as soon i turn the key off it goes out but i dont want to do that i want to do it the right way! also thanking ya cause you helped me in finding the blue and wht wire for the power amp control i can now hear music lol but i need to find the ign wire !!!
..., The blue and red wire is 12v constant as well as accessory but the pink green cigarette wire is better accessory my problem is that I can get the audio to turn on because I don't know which one is the amplifier
Old 08-02-2020, 11:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK320 Cabrio 2001
W208 Radio Wire Color Codes

Originally Posted by Will Mccoy
..., The blue and red wire is 12v constant as well as accessory but the pink green cigarette wire is better accessory my problem is that I can get the audio to turn on because I don't know which one is the amplifier
Will, I don't exactly know your problem but the blue/white wire is the amp turn on; whether you are using an after market amp or the Bose Amp. I installed a jbl amp and ran the wires this way;

Pioneer AVIC-NEX8200 RCA speaker wires -> JBL Amp RCA inputs.
then I ran speaker wires from outputs on JNB Amp and splice them into speaker wire harness at connector that connects to Bose Amp.

What I cant seem to find on the internet is What the Yellow/Black Stripe or what the Green\Red Stripe wires are. I would like to use the illumination\Dimmer wire and assume that one of those two wires are for the lights but need confirmation.

I am also unsure of the vss speed sense wire. I have read that its the Green\Black Stripe wire in the blue connector under the passenger doorsill bundle but there are two of those wires. Any advise on these wires? I can't find a w208 radio wiring harness diagram anywhere, just a w209.

Thanks!

Last edited by sirswift93; 08-02-2020 at 11:58 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-02-2020, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts
2002 CLK430
Wire colors are typically year and country specific. However, placement in the harness plug can commonly be used to identify the purpose of a particular wire. At The Southwest Star Magazine website, http://thesouthweststar.com in the prior issues section, in the first edition of 2018, on page 62 is an article that covers installing an aftermarket head unit in a W208 CLK. The article covers wiring, colors, and wire placement in the plugs.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK320 Cabrio 2001
Colors don’t match to the one in article.

Originally Posted by MarcusF
Wire colors are typically year and country specific. However, placement in the harness plug can commonly be used to identify the purpose of a particular wire. At The Southwest Star Magazine website, http://thesouthweststar.com in the prior issues section, in the first edition of 2018, on page 62 is an article that covers installing an aftermarket head unit in a W208 CLK. The article covers wiring, colors, and wire placement in the plugs.
Thank you for the post! I read the article but the W208 they use in the installation has different wire colors for the power plug. They show an orange for illumination and a pink/green for power. I have a yellow/black that I have no idea what it’s for. And they don’t mention a vss speed wire. Here is a photo of my radio power plug on the 2001 W208 wiring harness.

Last edited by sirswift93; 08-03-2020 at 02:38 AM. Reason: add photo