CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Need Help With Trim Around Windshield PLEASE.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CLK 430 cabriolet, '79 HD FLH 80in stroked, bored, fire breathing scarything, a couple of Fords
Need Help With Trim Around Windshield PLEASE.

Hello. I am a very experienced auto glass installer who also happens to own a 03 CLK 430 that needs it's windshield replaced. I have figured out how to remove the side trim pieces, but am having difficulty with the top trim. I also am a bit intimidated by the inside rearview mirror assembly. Also, I am planning on servicing the transmission. I got the filter kit, and two gallons of Castrol Transmax multiple import vehicle ATF. I was at a national franchise auto parts store (Starts with an A, ends with zone) and after asking the individual behind the counter to look up what my car needed, he said this will work. I have read enough to know now that he was full of bad info. Please can someone specifically tell me what ATF I need to change the fluid, and how much?
OK...I just came in from attempting to remove the trim from around the windshield in this car...without destroying anything. I am frustrated enough to have a glass of whiskey at 9:30 AM. Any glass guys out here that have done one of these cars? I certainly an glad I am not with a customer in this situation...
Old 07-25-2020, 12:46 PM

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
1998 CLK 320
Unfortunately I can't help with the windshield trim, but our cars are supposed to have "lifetime transmissions" (aka : they never need servicing).

Also: I've found that it's nearly impossible to trust anything a counter person says at any of the parts store chains (except for MAYBE NAPA and KOI).

G/L to you!
Old 08-01-2020, 01:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts
2002 CLK430
These cars do not have lifetime /service free transmissions. Mercedes changed this policy around 2006/2007. I had mine done back then and several times since. You'll need 5 liters of fluid that meets 236.10 spec. Autohaus AZ carries several brands from genuine dealer fluid at $22/liter to Fuchs at $10/liter. You'll need an infrared pyrometer, because the fluid level is temperature dependant. You'll need a dipstick, a dipstick cover, and if the wiring harness o ring hasn't been done, one of those too. I'd recommend checking the trans mount too.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 196 Likes on 175 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
When Mercedes said the transmissions were sealed for life, what they meant was 'for the life of the warranty period', which was 5 years or 50,000 miles (whichever came first).

When the marketing department convinced the engineering department, that by using newer synthetic fluids, the drain bolt on the torque converter was eliminated, the fill tube was sealed etc..

However, when transmission started failing to operate properly, due to normal wear deposits (e.g. from the metal gears, Graphite clutches etc.) Mercedes changed their mind and recommended that the transmission be serviced at 40,000 miles and every 40,000 miles thereafter.

The service will drain the fluid from transmission sump (e.g. about 5 quarts), replace the fluid and filter, as well as the transmissions's valve body's wiring harness pilot bushing, which at dealerships will run around $325.

Following are the WIS instructions for replacing the windshield.

I believe you're stumped by how to remove the trim piece at the top of the windshield, so I'm also enclosing the EPC diagram of the windshield components, where the details of the trim piece should provide enough details to help remove it.

Your 2003 model is a cabriolet, as the coupes were only built through 2002.

Note: The cabriolet is not coupe with just the hard top cut off and replaced with a canvass top. Besides the requirement for a reinforced windshield, there are also numerous and significant differences, in some of the body panels, the central locking, HVAC, window systems etc.. Additionally, during model year 2001, there were also significant upgrades made to both the W208 and A208, which included the engine management system, the power roof, new features etc..

When starting a post, make sure to include your model year, if it's a coupe or cabriolet and your location (as there are also country specific production differences).
Old 08-01-2020, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CLK 430 cabriolet, '79 HD FLH 80in stroked, bored, fire breathing scarything, a couple of Fords
Damn...wish I would have had that info a few days ago. The manual goes into as much detail as I imagined it would. I will file it for future reference. Thank you!
I went ahead and bought a couple of gallons of Valvoline Maxlife that, as far as I have read is approved by Mercedes for use in the 722.6 trans. I realize that it is not the best choice but I have a feeling the trans has not been serviced (ever?) in a long while...so I'm going to get some fresh oil in it and a filter. As far as the wire bushing...$325, well that is going to have to wait too. I only have so much money to get this car on the road with some reliability. I will put it on the list though. Is there any thing I might look for as far as wear on that bushing indicating that it needs changing to avoid catastrophic failure? The idea of not being able to check my transmission fluid is perplexing at best. The trans shifts well but who knows how long its been in there and what the level is. Absurd. I bought the windshield without the rain sensor, The price difference was substantial and I can tell if it is raining or not. Now I am wondering if not having the rain sensor will effect my wiper functionality...I managed to break one thing. The housing that hides the rain sensor also secures the rearview mirror. It was extremely brittle and basically turned into crumble when I pulled on it. Fun stuff. Other than that I am happy to say my install went well. After I got over being afraid of breaking the trim I started cooperating.
Old 08-02-2020, 11:19 PM

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
1998 CLK 320
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MarcusF
These cars do not have lifetime /service free transmissions. Mercedes changed this policy around 2006/2007. I had mine done back then and several times since. You'll need 5 liters of fluid that meets 236.10 spec. Autohaus AZ carries several brands from genuine dealer fluid at $22/liter to Fuchs at $10/liter. You'll need an infrared pyrometer, because the fluid level is temperature dependant. You'll need a dipstick, a dipstick cover, and if the wiring harness o ring hasn't been done, one of those too. I'd recommend checking the trans mount too.
Originally Posted by Serndipity
When Mercedes said the transmissions were sealed for life, what they meant was .............(truncated for redundancy/space)

Wow! Very informative!!

Thanks guys!!

Old 08-03-2020, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 196 Likes on 175 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
This link explains the ubiquitous transmission pilot bushing issue, as well as the DIY repair.

Additionally, transmission fluid can wick up the wiring harness and into the transmission control module (Read $$$$).

I had my windshield replaced, after a stone hit it and left a spider web about the size of a US quarter.

In MA, windshield replacement is 100% covered by insurance.

Because most glass shops use a cheaper 3rd party clear glass, MB produced the W208/A208 with various glass tints, as well as having the rain sensor option, in order to use VIN specific parts and get the repair right, the first time, I called the local dealership to see who they use for glass repairs.

The two below documents explain the rain sensor theory of operation and if required, how to replace the sensor.

As a result, the glass shop used a genuine MB windshield, as well as a new upper molding (that is usually not replaceable after removal), as well as a new lens (to replace the lens that was glued onto the old windshield).

I was on my way in 1.5 hours (30 minutes to replace the windshield + 1 hour for the sealant to cure).

BTW, I like and frequently use my rain sensor..........in light drizzle, mist, scattered shower driving conditions and after a rain ends when nearby cars, kick up road surface water and/or puddle spray.

Last edited by Serndipity; 08-03-2020 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts
2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by seanable
.....Afar as the wire bushing...$325, well that is going to have to wait too. .
$325??? I paid a literal $2 for the o-ring /bushing at Mercedes-Benz of Valencia a dozen years ago or so. Currently, the13-pin connector and both o-rings are sold as a set for $12. It's listed as Mercedes-Benz part number 2035400253 and available at both Pelican and Autohaus AZ. I hope that helps.