CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Oxygen Sensor Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 CLK430
Help w/ troubleshooting: O2 sensor, MAF, MAP???

It seems that I now have an Oxygen sensor that is out. I am getting the same errors that I got last time:

CEL light with:

MAF Sensor
O2 Sensor
MAP Sensor

I already replaced the MAF and it ran well until a couple says ago when the CEL came on again and is starting to run rough and even shake at times. I am getting the same symptoms like having my car BOG down when I stomp on the gas. I have to slowly give it gas in order to take off.

So my question:

It states that O2 Sensor on Bank 1 Sensor 1 is bad. Where is this one located? Driver or Passenger side and is it before or after the catalytic converter?

It seems that I will now be replacing both cats, removing my resonator, and one of my O2 Sensors at the same time.

Any help is really appreciated!!

Greg

Last edited by gregory13lil; 03-11-2008 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
Ok no help so far...Does anyone have experience with the Ebay O2 Sensors lie the one below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OXYGE...spagenameZWDVW
Old 03-11-2008, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
Ok I got my codes pulled and here they are:

PO100: MAF or MAP sensor condition

P0130: HO2S 11 circuit condition (Heated Oxygen sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1)

P0150: HO2S-21 circuit condition (Heated Oxygen sensor Bank 2 Sensor 1)

P0170: Fuel Trim Bank 1

P0173: Fuel Trim Bank 2 condition

I have already replaced the MAF a month as stated earlier BUT with one that I bought off of Ebay for 120 bucks. Could it actually be the MAF again since it is affecting both Banks??? I am at a loss on what to do...NEW MAF or 2 new O2 sensors??

UPDATE: I went back to the basics and took the engine cover off and checked all my connections on the MAF and the sensors. I actually found a loose spark plug cable in Bank one (passenger side) number 3. It definitely runs a hell of alot smoother, but we will see how the car acts in the morning when it is cold.

FYI: I was told and read numerous times that Bank 1 was in fact on the drivers side...THIS IS WRONG. BANK 1 is in fact on the passenger side. If you look at the engine block it will state cylinder 1,2,3, and 4 and will say 1 on all of them at the top of the cylinder id. The driver side has a 2 on top of all the cylinder numbers 5,6,7,8. It also has some letters but I have no idea what those are for. Hopefully I have found the problem but I doubt that one loose spark plug wire would cause all those codes to go off.
I will keep you updated and hopefully this will help everyone else out someday.

UPDATE 2: Well I guess the loose spark plug cable was not the problem. I still have the hesitation when the car is cold in the morning. This is making me mad now.

Greg

Last edited by gregory13lil; 03-12-2008 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Update on Car
Old 03-12-2008, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
CLK Cabrio
yeah i have the same codes P0173 and P0170. but mine stays on forever and than goes away for a bit a few days and than comes back on. maybe a fuel pump. what about spark plugs.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
Originally Posted by sick430
yeah i have the same codes P0173 and P0170. but mine stays on forever and than goes away for a bit a few days and than comes back on. maybe a fuel pump. what about spark plugs.

I have brand new Spark plugs that were put in about 4 months ago so I know that it cant be that. The only other thing that it maybe could be is new plug wires. But now I am just basically guessing.

Thanks for the response though!!

Greg
Old 03-13-2008, 02:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK Cabrio
i did the same with the maf as you did buying it off of ebay. maybe its the maf i am going to see if i can get my hands on a different one and see if that makes a difference
Old 03-13-2008, 04:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
I just found an O2 sensor for sale in the classifieds. It is the Universal Bosch one, I am going to buy it and replace one of the sensors and see what happens. If I still end up getting the codes then it might actually need a new MAF. Are you getting the other codes that I have as well or just those 2. Are you having the most hesittaion when the car is cold?
Old 03-13-2008, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All of them!
Originally Posted by gregory13lil
I just found an O2 sensor for sale in the classifieds. It is the Universal Bosch one, I am going to buy it and replace one of the sensors and see what happens. If I still end up getting the codes then it might actually need a new MAF. Are you getting the other codes that I have as well or just those 2. Are you having the most hesittaion when the car is cold?
Greg,
Don't put a universal in.
I'll read this tomorrow when I'm not as tired, and then I'll give you some advice.
Rich

Last edited by mbenzman; 03-13-2008 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
Originally Posted by mbenzman
Greg,
Don't put a universal in.
I'll read this tomorrow when I'm not as tired, and then I'll give you some advice.
Rich

OK, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! I already bought the O2 Universal but it was only 40 bucks so I will just put it back up for sale or hell for free if i dont need it.

Greg
Old 03-14-2008, 02:53 PM

All of them!
Originally Posted by gregory13lil
Ok I got my codes pulled and here they are:

PO100: MAF or MAP sensor condition

P0130: HO2S 11 circuit condition (Heated Oxygen sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1)

P0150: HO2S-21 circuit condition (Heated Oxygen sensor Bank 2 Sensor 1)

P0170: Fuel Trim Bank 1

P0173: Fuel Trim Bank 2 condition

I have already replaced the MAF a month as stated earlier BUT with one that I bought off of Ebay for 120 bucks. Could it actually be the MAF again since it is affecting both Banks??? I am at a loss on what to do...NEW MAF or 2 new O2 sensors??

UPDATE: I went back to the basics and took the engine cover off and checked all my connections on the MAF and the sensors. I actually found a loose spark plug cable in Bank one (passenger side) number 3. It definitely runs a hell of alot smoother, but we will see how the car acts in the morning when it is cold.

FYI: I was told and read numerous times that Bank 1 was in fact on the drivers side...THIS IS WRONG. BANK 1 is in fact on the passenger side. If you look at the engine block it will state cylinder 1,2,3, and 4 and will say 1 on all of them at the top of the cylinder id. The driver side has a 2 on top of all the cylinder numbers 5,6,7,8. It also has some letters but I have no idea what those are for. Hopefully I have found the problem but I doubt that one loose spark plug wire would cause all those codes to go off.
I will keep you updated and hopefully this will help everyone else out someday.

UPDATE 2: Well I guess the loose spark plug cable was not the problem. I still have the hesitation when the car is cold in the morning. This is making me mad now.

Greg
If I were working on this, I would check the fuel pressure, test the entire intake system for leakage. Then I would be suspect of the Cats being clogged or a defective maf (mass air flow) sensor, not the map (manifold absolute pressure) sensor, which your car also has.
The V8 engine bank 1 is passenger side front to rear cylinders 1-4. Bank 2 is drivers side, cylinder 5-8 front to rear. The coils have a diagram on them showing A & B for the two spark plug wires to be connected to the proper plugs which are marked A & B on the valve cover just above the spark plugs for each cylinder.
You may want to just call me for more diagnosis.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
Thanks so much..I will look at all these things this weekend. But, I think you may be onto something with the Cats. I hear that metal clinging sound that may be coming from my cats. I just didnt think that they would be causing the problem. It could just be getting clogged and causing the problem.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK Cabrio
if its the cats would i be able to get the stealership to cover them. i was thinking of the pressure as well. g/l on solving the problem.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
Originally Posted by mbenzman
If I were working on this, I would check the fuel pressure, test the entire intake system for leakage. Then I would be suspect of the Cats being clogged or a defective maf (mass air flow) sensor, not the map (manifold absolute pressure) sensor, which your car also has.
The V8 engine bank 1 is passenger side front to rear cylinders 1-4. Bank 2 is drivers side, cylinder 5-8 front to rear. The coils have a diagram on them showing A & B for the two spark plug wires to be connected to the proper plugs which are marked A & B on the valve cover just above the spark plugs for each cylinder.
You may want to just call me for more diagnosis.
Ok...this is what I just did I checked my entire intake system for leaks and you were right. My gaskets on my maf and the other one that went to the Throttle Body intake tube were both dried out and cracking so I bought both black rubber gaskets for 15 bucks at the dealership. I thought this would solve the problem but it didnt, BUT they definitely needed to be changed so everyone else might want to check theres out. The one that connects to the MAF was still pliable but the one that connects the Throttle Body intake tube to the engine was cracked, and dried up.

I also checked all the Spark plug wires to ensure that they were all in the right place and plugged in tightly and they all were.

I drove it right after I did this and I still had the hesitation when cold. I then did the ECU reset procedure by unhooking the battery for 30 seconds and plugged it back up. I reset all the car stuff and let it run for 5 minutes and it ran beautifully. BUT, it was warm by then cause I let it run for 5 minutes like the ECU instructions stated.

I will run it again in the morning when it is cold and see if I still have the hesitation AGAIN!!!
Old 08-30-2011, 10:32 PM

E320
O2 sensor... Can you hardwire and how

Hey everyone, I recently replace the infamous wire harness, as well as sparkplugs and wires and boots, still having issues. I noticed all of the wires under the passenger seat for the 02 sensor have been completly ruined, I want to cut out the bad and solder back together but Id have to take out both of the connects is this possible? Also the green seperate on has a wire within a wire on one end and just one black wire on the other, so whats that all about?? Thanks for any help!!
Old 08-31-2011, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Infamous wiring harness? Under the seat O2 sensor wires? I think you may have posted in the wrong forum. This is for W208s. I think you want W124s.