CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Custom 4.3L forged and sleeved!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SS Minnow Johnson
Originally Posted by Ghostrider
Yeah, that sucks!! What did you replace it with?
havent made a move yet. cashed my insurance check into all 1's been starring at the stack of dinero for awhile with no clear decision of what car i want next. but this thread is making me want a W208 but a AMG this go around...
Old 12-16-2008, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430
Why not just pull the trigger on a W211 E55?? That or an S or SL would be my next choice.

Originally Posted by tnb1786
havent made a move yet. cashed my insurance check into all 1's been starring at the stack of dinero for awhile with no clear decision of what car i want next. but this thread is making me want a W208 but a AMG this go around...
Old 12-16-2008, 05:44 PM

SS Minnow Johnson
Why not just pull the trigger on a W211 E55?? That or an S or SL would be my next choice.
i dont wanna be rude and thread jack but all of those have been in consideration....

continue the info sharing on this sleeved 4.3L

is it possible to do a exhaust mounted turbo like they do with Vettes
Old 12-16-2008, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
I looked into one of those STS turbo kits, talked to them about their universal kit for a custom install. In doing my research I found the hardest part of the install would be getting the intake piping from the rear to the front and still maintain a good amount of ground clearance.

The big question on the sleeved 4.3L is if we have any type of coating on the inner cylinder wall that would make it hard to bore??

i dont wanna be rude and thread jack but all of those have been in consideration....

continue the info sharing on this sleeved 4.3L

is it possible to do a exhaust mounted turbo like they do with Vettes

Last edited by Ghostrider; 12-16-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:14 PM

Supercharged CLK430 street/show car
I spoke to Surge today from Hyevon!

I spoke to Surge today! He is a former Mb tech who opened his own shop in CA. I heard a few good things about him and his work so I gave him a call and asked alot of do you know what your doing type of questions and he seemed like he did. Well we went over some ideas and I told him I wanted to build a very fast reliable street car. Basically he said it was feasible. He mentioned sleeving the block would mess up over time( because the stock one has Nikasil lined sleeves) but he said the crank and block are very strong and should be ok. I told him I at least still wanted to cryo it along with the crank(you never can be to careful). He basically agreed with the idea of installing rods and forged low compression pistons and suggested port and polished heads but I want to keep everything in spec to try and maintain Mercedes reliability and not tamper with the aerodynamic engineering. I asked about the drive train and he said the drive shaft should be ok to 600 hp/tq which is around what im shooting for. I mentioned the axles and blackblenz's issues and he said the axles in the 55 were lightened so they may not be as strong as the 430 so i might be ok. My differential he said is a 50/50 shot and installing an LSD would help! He is putting together some prices for me and will help me with some technical info.If I decide to do this I am prob going to be disassembling the engine myself and sending him the short block(should be fun) then reassembling it! Between having to fix and rebuild my POS HPS kit and doing this engine build I might as well go get MB certified! Im sensing a detailed engine build thread!
Old 12-16-2008, 06:23 PM

SS Minnow Johnson
serge is great tech and friend of mine out here in OC. expect great things from his talents and well experienced skills. he worked on my CLK also.

Hyevon and HMS FTMFW!
Old 12-16-2008, 06:26 PM

SS Minnow Johnson
FYI hes one of the techs that built BlueMontsters E55 if ur familar with his torque monster W211...

Last edited by tnb1786; 12-16-2008 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:04 PM

Good to hear!

Thats what I like to hear. I dont just let anyone touch my car. I owned my car for 4 years before I did anything to it because there wasnt alot of info on engine upgrades, the ones that were out were way to expensive and I didnt have anyone local I trusted to touch my car.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by nastyclk
I spoke to Surge today! He is a former Mb tech who opened his own shop in CA. I heard a few good things about him and his work so I gave him a call and asked alot of do you know what your doing type of questions and he seemed like he did. Well we went over some ideas and I told him I wanted to build a very fast reliable street car. Basically he said it was feasible. He mentioned sleeving the block would mess up over time( because the stock one has Nikasil lined sleeves) but he said the crank and block are very strong and should be ok. I told him I at least still wanted to cryo it along with the crank(you never can be to careful). He basically agreed with the idea of installing rods and forged low compression pistons and suggested port and polished heads but I want to keep everything in spec to try and maintain Mercedes reliability and not tamper with the aerodynamic engineering. I asked about the drive train and he said the drive shaft should be ok to 600 hp/tq which is around what im shooting for. I mentioned the axles and blackblenz's issues and he said the axles in the 55 were lightened so they may not be as strong as the 430 so i might be ok. My differential he said is a 50/50 shot and installing an LSD would help! He is putting together some prices for me and will help me with some technical info.If I decide to do this I am prob going to be disassembling the engine myself and sending him the short block(should be fun) then reassembling it! Between having to fix and rebuild my POS HPS kit and doing this engine build I might as well go get MB certified! Im sensing a detailed engine build thread!
Let me clear up a few things. You cant just drop in your typical aftermarket forged piston into a nikasil coated block. Yes the 55 axles are thinner in diameter so I installed 430 axles, guess what?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7riZWffP5Cw

If you decide to pull and take apart your engine let me know and I'll come down and lend a hand if you would like. I've never done a mb engine but recently did a S4. I also rcmmend switching over to a 8 rib pulley system as opposed to the stock 6 rib to prevent shreddng belts and having them fly off as well.

Last edited by blackbenzz; 12-16-2008 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 CLK 3.2
Glad you called Serg...I told you he would help with detailed questions. When I get my E55 I'm taking it to him for the Heyvon treatment. He's also upgraded Benzboi E55.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:52 AM

Hey BlackBenz when you say I cant just drop in a forged piston with a nikasil sleeve, do you mean I have to get it coated with special rings? I will definately learn from your experiences, if you said you broke axles then I will take your advice and upgrade them. I appreciate the offer to help maybe we could do yours at the same time? Your in MD right, how far from Colonial Beach are you? The performance shop where my car is at is 15 minutes from the MD line and 301 Bridge! I can rent some space to work on my car there and maybe we can get this done?
Old 12-17-2008, 09:25 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Hey BlackBenz when you say I cant just drop in a forged piston with a nikasil sleeve, do you mean I have to get it coated with special rings? I will definately learn from your experiences, if you said you broke axles then I will take your advice and upgrade them. I appreciate the offer to help maybe we could do yours at the same time? Your in MD right, how far from Colonial Beach are you? The performance shop where my car is at is 15 minutes from the MD line and 301 Bridge! I can rent some space to work on my car there and maybe we can get this done?
I mean you have to run either a coated piston or a sleeved block. I did break axles, three to be exact. Like I said, I have a broken one that you can use as a template if you like (broken CLK430 axle). I dont know if I'm ready to make that move yet. I have other things that are higher priority right now (noncar related). Yes I am in MD but I have no idea where Colonial Beach is so I cant be too close lol. If you decide to build it I will come down and help with my free time. I would try to get a plan of what you want done before we start the tear down in order to save down time. There have been so many times where people have tore down the motor without a set plan and it has taken years for the build! Another much cheaper option is to have a thicker headgasket made to lower c/r but the correct way would be to use pistons to lower c/r
Old 12-17-2008, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Nikasil

Check out this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...tons-rods.html
Old 12-17-2008, 11:51 AM

Trust me my engine is not coming apart untill I have a plan!

This is why I have been doing so much research since the beginning of OCT. You know people who always over analyze things, I am one of them types and in cases like this Im glad to be one. I wont jump into anything until I have educated myself on everything possibly involved and established a set of goals and how im going to achieve them.The build probably wont start for two/three months due to finances and R&D. The shop is about 20+ mins from MIR right over the MD/VA state line. I appreciate the offer to help out. Nothing like good company while doing man sh;t Also thanks for all the input from everyone, keep it coming guys I cant do this without you!

Last edited by nastyclk; 12-17-2008 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Because I cant spell
Old 12-17-2008, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
HPS

What generation system do you have? I know a guy selling a Gen 1 and wanted to get more information.

This is why I am doing so much research. You know people who always over analyze things, I am one of them types and in cases like this Im glad to be one. I wont jump into anything until I have educated myself on everything possibly involved and established a set of goals and how im going to achieve them.The build probably wont start for two?three months due to finances and R&D. The shop is about 20+ mins from MIR right over the MD/VA state line.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:23 PM

SS Minnow Johnson
u know how dope it would look having two turbos mounted and piping leading into the inner headlights similar to blackbenzz's setup...

skeet skeet skeet lol haha
Old 12-17-2008, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Nice project - please keep us up to date.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Single

Due to size contraints of the engine bay, I'm thinking a single turbo mounted on the passenger side would be the best way to go.

I believe you could get away with 6psi of boost using an adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator.

u know how dope it would look having two turbos mounted and piping leading into the inner headlights similar to blackbenzz's setup...

skeet skeet skeet lol haha
Old 12-17-2008, 12:49 PM

SS Minnow Johnson
Due to size contraints of the engine bay, I'm thinking a single turbo mounted on the passenger side would be the best way to go.

I believe you could get away with 6psi of boost using an adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator.
single would be more practical... would 2 small turbos be more efficient similar to the 09' BMWs gt30r or gt28?

i cant imagine opening up a wastegaste on a BENZ!
VrrroooomPsssshhhh
Old 12-17-2008, 12:56 PM

No plans for turbo going to up the boost on my MP112 blower to 12psi!

I regret to admit that I have the HPS gen 2 kit but it has been completely rebuilt the way it should have came originally thanks to MERT and Tech-Tune. I was brainstorming and wondering if the HPS intake manifold can withstand 12LBS of boost? Any one know of a way to test it or upgrade it! To lower cost I am going to do as much of the work I can myself probably with some help from BlackBenz and anyone curious who wouldnt mind lending a hand! I am smart and good with my hands but I lack knowledge about certain MB engine details. Im still stuck on whether or not to sleeve it or CRYO the block reinstall the nikasil sleeve and get pistons! I keep hearing and reading mixed reviews.

Last edited by nastyclk; 12-17-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:01 PM

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupé
I dont know if its me but didnt that last post seem rude!
I already have a blower, coilovers, with plans of upgrading drive shaft, transmission rear end etc!Thanks for that completely useless bit of knowledge if your going to make rude comments do it on another thread!
Yes, guilty as charged. You caught at a bad moment. Actually you're off on a good project and I wish you the best - with my apologies.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:27 PM

Apology accepted

Apology accepted