CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

New Remus axle-back sytem(320)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2kCLK320
New Remus axle-back sytem(320)

So I just got my new remus today, $740ish shipped

I'm going to have it professionally put on so they can cut out the resonator.
The guy at remususa.com was great. The first muffler I got with the standard square tips was dropped by UPS so i opened a claim, which wasn't approved. Remususa kept in tight contact and the same day they were informed of the UPS claim denial he emailed me with the option to take this tip style which was in stock or have the other order from Austria. There was zero hassle, great customer service, fast shipping.

I will post a sound bite when everything is done, I may have to wait for after the holiday.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:17 PM

2002 clk430
sweet post pics and video
Old 12-19-2008, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, C63
wow. there is a huge quality difference between Remus' 320 exhaust and the 430/55 exhaust.

the V8 exhaust is 100% electrolyte polished =)
Old 12-19-2008, 10:57 PM

2kCLK320
Originally Posted by OPALW208
wow. there is a huge quality difference between Remus' 320 exhaust and the 430/55 exhaust.

I think i see what you mean but the 430(along with the Ferrari's)is definitely the exception, the majority are polished SS with black high temp ceramic paint.
http://www.remususa.com/WebRoot/Stor...atalog_web.pdf
Old 12-20-2008, 01:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 CLK320
thanks for the pics and info...can't wait to hear it!

i suggest removing the resonator after driving around with the new muffler first. you can always have it cut off later on. of course, you can always have the resonator welded back on, but you would have to store it and you will end up paying more to have it welded back on.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:21 AM

2kCLK320
Originally Posted by sfclk
thanks for the pics and info...can't wait to hear it!

i suggest removing the resonator after driving around with the new muffler first. you can always have it cut off later on. of course, you can always have the resonator welded back on, but you would have to store it and you will end up paying more to have it welded back on.
I thought about playing it safe but I had a Remus on my legend and it's oem quiet at idle and low rpm's. Don't get me wrong it would sing above 4k but it came alive when I pulled all my cats and put headers on.

You got me thinking though, I'll run it by the shop price wise having the res pulled another day. It would be nice to have a before and after and after the res delete.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 3.2
That's cool congrats...it should sound exactly like my Brabus muffler. It won't sound loud unless you do these options:

1) remove the resonator keeping 2ndary cats

2) remove the 2ndary cats with an after market resonator from Magnaflow and etc...

3) remove 2ndary cats but keep stock resonator

4) or remove 2ndary cats and stock resonator...this option may leave you with a slight rasp when coming out of a corner and gassing it because it's a V6 and not a V8

Brabus and Remus are basically the same and they are not known for loud mufflers. Remus makes mufflers for Brabus so I'm positive it will sound the same. Be sure to choose one of my options so that you are not disappointed after the install.

I have option 4 and it sounds good except for that rasp when gassing it out of a corner...I'm looking for a sound enhancement resonator as we speak. I'm probably going to go with the Magnaflow one or this other one my muffler guy was talking about that's inexpensive.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:31 PM

2kCLK320
Originally Posted by CLK FAN
That's cool congrats...it should sound exactly like my Brabus muffler. It won't sound loud unless you do these options:

1) remove the resonator keeping 2ndary cats

2) remove the 2ndary cats with an after market resonator from Magnaflow and etc...

3) remove 2ndary cats but keep stock resonator

4) or remove 2ndary cats and stock resonator...this option may leave you with a slight rasp when coming out of a corner and gassing it because it's a V6 and not a V8

Brabus and Remus are basically the same and they are not known for loud mufflers. Remus makes mufflers for Brabus so I'm positive it will sound the same. Be sure to choose one of my options so that you are not disappointed after the install.

I have option 4 and it sounds good except for that rasp when gassing it out of a corner...I'm looking for a sound enhancement resonator as we speak. I'm probably going to go with the Magnaflow one or this other one my muffler guy was talking about that's inexpensive.

Thanks for the info, I probably say with option 1, it would be nice to hear every combination though, especially 2- Let me know how that turns out.

You haven't had any emissions problems with the secondary cat off?
Old 12-20-2008, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 3.2
Originally Posted by xmodrelic
Thanks for the info, I probably say with option 1, it would be nice to hear every combination though, especially 2- Let me know how that turns out.

You haven't had any emissions problems with the secondary cat off?

No problems with emissions.

We'll see how option 2 turns out
Old 12-22-2008, 04:16 PM
Banned

na
Originally Posted by OPALW208

Correct, these polished systems are ROMULUS and strictly reserved to high end vehicles only.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:33 PM

2kCLK320
Update

So I was supposed to clamp the muffler on myself, break it in, and see if I liked it then decide to pull res. Well, I figured screw it, so I dropped it off at a shop to pull the resonator and add the muffler. I'm picking it up in 30mins, I'll get some sound bytes and pics up later tonight.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 3.2
So I was supposed to clamp the muffler on myself, break it in, and see if I liked it then decide to pull res. Well, I figured screw it, so I dropped it off at a shop to pull the resonator and add the muffler. I'm picking it up in 30mins, I'll get some sound bytes and pics up later tonight.

It should sound ok. It won't be very loud
Old 12-31-2008, 12:04 AM

2kCLK320
I rushed this one, i just havent had time to get a good video out. Its dark so you cant see it and I'm using a digital camera so the sound kinda sucks but I just wanted to get one up.

I really like it. I didnt want loud, just a nice note. I'll get a better one up in the daytime with a camcorder.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLgLRGKEFNY
Old 12-31-2008, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 3.2
I rushed this one, i just havent had time to get a good video out. Its dark so you cant see it and I'm using a digital camera so the sound kinda sucks but I just wanted to get one up.

I really like it. I didnt want loud, just a nice note. I'll get a better one up in the daytime with a camcorder.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLgLRGKEFNY
sounds cool
Old 12-31-2008, 02:55 AM

CLK 55 AMG
sounds nice!!