CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Pls. Help me fairly price my white 430...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2008 | 01:02 PM

08 CLS63, Honda Accord, 04 911
Pls. Help me fairly price my white 430...

My Mercedes tech has offered to buy my car AS IS. I'm wondering what I should sell it for...he has done the last B service fully 6 months ago and all maintenance.

I looked at autotrader and some CLK's are still asking around $17k or so??? I know the white should help resale, but I just want a fair price since he is a personal friend.

Here are details:

-02 CLK 430 w/ k4 package. Alabaster White. 77k miles.
-Paint is 9 out of 10 , car always garaged and covered, some nicks in front end.
-Heated Seats, Xenons, Rear screen, etc..
- New Motor Mounts, Tranny Mounts, Steering Shock, Fuel Filter 6 mos. ago

MOD LIST: ( all mods less than a year old )
- Medium Tint front windows, Dark tint rear ones w/ Lifetime warranty.
-19" EXE Konvex Wheels w/ Conti Sport Contact Tires ( 70% )
- RennTech Exhaust w/ dual chrome tips
- Aftermarket Clear Tail lights
- Lowered w/ Eibach SPrings , #2 pads
- Clear Front bumper signal w/ chrome bulbs ( no yellow showing)
- Chrome Surround Shifter
- Chrome Shift knob
- OEM Wood Steering Wheel (bought used)
- Schatz Front grill ( not big star grill from ebay
- Flat MB Hood badge
- Chrome Headlight Rings
- Car Cover
- Chrome Key Upgrade
- After market 3rd party warranty until 12/09 but I might cancel this or transfer.
- Have all stock parts- car is driven approx. 2-3 times a week.

Thanks for any input. I'm split on selling but looking for another MB just a bit early.
Attached Thumbnails Pls. Help me fairly price my white 430...-dscn0281.jpg   Pls. Help me fairly price my white 430...-dscn0277.jpg   Pls. Help me fairly price my white 430...-dsci0368.jpg  

Last edited by 150shot; 12-23-2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-23-2008 | 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
$13-15K?
Old 12-23-2008 | 02:24 PM

Clk 320
Beautiful ride.. Good luck with the sale
Old 12-23-2008 | 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yo Momma
i would say 11 to 13k. Nice car though...GL
Old 12-23-2008 | 04:23 PM

2001 clk55 AMG
I love the car in white but white has a lower resale value on a mercedes. I would price the car at 12k...
Old 12-23-2008 | 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
150, say it ain’t so! The coveted white 430 is going away? What are you getting to replace it? An ’09 CLK550? MB USA, the dealer I bought my car from, and my local dealer send me a note every three weeks that says how much they’ll knock off a 550 if I’ll take one off their lot. They can’t GIVE them away. Get one now before it dawns on the public that gas is under $2 a gallon for premium.

Anyway, I always though ‘fair’ was a relative term. When I bought my car, I got it at a dealer as a 27 month lease turn in for less than half of what it cost new. For me, that was ‘fair’. When the salesman found out I had a prearranged deal and he was getting zip for a commission, he didn’t think it was fair. But it’s all relative. Doing my best not to insult the buyer, I’d start high. Besides, it’s a seven year old SoCal car with ‘only’ 77K on the odometer. You how we drive out here. Some of us drive 30K a year. Plus, if you’ve got rain-sensing wipers - you’ve got a K3 (power sunroof, rain-sensing wipers, power rear-window sunshade) AND a K4 (heated front seats, rain-sensing wipers, Xenon headlights w/washers). IT’S LOADED. Did I forget to mention it’s got the coveted factory white paint? It's practically a one off! You’ve got extras, all the original parts, maintenance receipts, AND a warrantee. The new buyer is getting everything he needs except gas in the tank! I’d tell him, “I was thinking $16K, but that covers all the extras”. Just between you, me, and the rest of the Interweb - I personally wouldn’t pay $16K, but if he talks you down to $14K he’ll think he’s negotiated a deal. Especially when you start saying, “well, if I go any lower, I can’t include all the extra stuff in my garage” - you know, the crap you can’t wait to unload, but he finds desirable? If you start at $14K or $12K, and he wants to knock another $2K off - stick to your guns.

Just remember – every dime he knocks off your price, is another dime off the retail on all the rest of us. If everyone with a CLK430 said $20K ($30K for a 55) and STUCK TO IT, the retail price on a 430 would be $20K. Those who can’t come up with the scratch in this ‘bad economy’ can ride a Vespa!

Best wishes on the sale and don't forget to let us know what you're getting to replace it (I'm guessing a 27 month old SL for HALF PRICE!)
Old 12-23-2008 | 06:15 PM

2000 CLK 430
Originally Posted by MarcusF
150, say it ain’t so! The coveted white 430 is going away? What are you getting to replace it? An ’09 CLK550? MB USA, the dealer I bought my car from, and my local dealer send me a note every three weeks that says how much they’ll knock off a 550 if I’ll take one off their lot. They can’t GIVE them away. Get one now before it dawns on the public that gas is under $2 a gallon for premium.

Anyway, I always though ‘fair’ was a relative term. When I bought my car, I got it at a dealer as a 27 month lease turn in for less than half of what it cost new. For me, that was ‘fair’. When the salesman found out I had a prearranged deal and he was getting zip for a commission, he didn’t think it was fair. But it’s all relative. Doing my best not to insult the buyer, I’d start high. Besides, it’s a seven year old SoCal car with ‘only’ 77K on the odometer. You how we drive out here. Some of us drive 30K a year. Plus, if you’ve got rain-sensing wipers - you’ve got a K3 (power sunroof, rain-sensing wipers, power rear-window sunshade) AND a K4 (heated front seats, rain-sensing wipers, Xenon headlights w/washers). IT’S LOADED. Did I forget to mention it’s got the coveted factory white paint? It's practically a one off! You’ve got extras, all the original parts, maintenance receipts, AND a warrantee. The new buyer is getting everything he needs except gas in the tank! I’d tell him, “I was thinking $16K, but that covers all the extras”. Just between you, me, and the rest of the Interweb - I personally wouldn’t pay $16K, but if he talks you down to $14K he’ll think he’s negotiated a deal. Especially when you start saying, “well, if I go any lower, I can’t include all the extra stuff in my garage” - you know, the crap you can’t wait to unload, but he finds desirable? If you start at $14K or $12K, and he wants to knock another $2K off - stick to your guns.

Just remember – every dime he knocks off your price, is another dime off the retail on all the rest of us. If everyone with a CLK430 said $20K ($30K for a 55) and STUCK TO IT, the retail price on a 430 would be $20K. Those who can’t come up with the scratch in this ‘bad economy’ can ride a Vespa!

Best wishes on the sale and don't forget to let us know what you're getting to replace it (I'm guessing a 27 month old SL for HALF PRICE!)
Reads like poetry. Well said.

I was about to unload my car for like 10k just three months ago and my GF told I was stupid to sell it for so cheap so I kept it and now I cant explain how happy I am that I did. I wanted somewhere around 14k originally (2000 black w/ 70k miles on it). GL with your sale.

Trending Topics

Old 12-23-2008 | 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yo Momma
Originally Posted by MarcusF

WELL SAID my friend. 200% agreed.
Old 12-23-2008 | 06:19 PM

08 CLS63, Honda Accord, 04 911
Marcus & everyone-
thanks for the kind words- and VERY knowledgeable post. You hit it right on the spot as usual in your explanation as well as your choice in future cars...

To start off with I wasnt planning to sell, although I always keep my eye on other MB's that have incredibly crashed in price that are now affordable to me. I actually pretty much got the car to look the way I wanted just very recently. Please keep in mind my friend is a MB tech so he knows the market as we do, or at least we try to follow the trends.

I get a call from my bud- and he wants to buy the car and hes actually serious, he's the only person that has worked on the car and throws a figure of 10k at me...well that didnt go well but he kept being persistent and started raising the price until he said give me a price as is.

If I did sell I would want it to be to this person..just no BS, and would appreciate what he has in the CLK. He knows its "turnkey" and needs nothing.

I mean if we all sell our CLK , we would want it to be to someone who appreciates the car as this is a $60k car , not a $10k car. As most of us that post here know. Yes it would be driven hard and enjoyed but at the same time given the right type of respect this car deserves.

It's a tough decision, but then again, most of us wouldnt want to sell our car, then see it at a mom & pop lot for $9999. ouch.

Last edited by 150shot; 12-23-2008 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-29-2008 | 02:06 PM

SS Minnow Johnson
ZEEK im sure u know mine was stolen *** if u had between 50-60k miles id take it...

its very rare to own a white 430 coupe just as rare as a white w209 500 coupe.