CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

shouldn't service schedules follow the fss computer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2002, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 CLK 430 Brilliant Silver/Ash K2a K3 K4 Comand Multicontours
Angry shouldn't service schedules follow the fss computer?

just took my car into service for what i thought was a service b and got a service a.

the car called for service b at about 14200. i took it in at 13909. it got a service a (service writer failed to mention on phone)
my concerns: fss called for service b in 91 more miles, mb blue sheet says for new cars start with service b. the fss now says service a in 9200 miles. when will service b ever be done? doesn't the air filter need changed sooner than at 35,000?

I would rather get things done right, already spent 64k on the car. if the dealer doesn't trust the computer then i would rather trust my gut and do oil changes more often. any good service writers in orange county or riverside area that have a good philosophy on keeping the car tight?

mbtech? anyone?

also fuel guage stopped working then started up 10mins into trip on next subsequent drives. have read links on fuel guage issue? can it be caused also by improperly linking to car computer?
Old 01-19-2002, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
This same thing happened to Drew with his E55. Maybe Drew can elaborate on this.
Old 01-19-2002, 02:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
**SOLD***2003 E500
Unhappy Hmmm

Silvercharm, my first question is why have you not talked to the service writer and or manager about your lack of service and concerns. Seems like that would be the more appropriate forum to start this questioning and then report back to us with what they stated (ie: mistake and or overlooked, or were just going to gouge you twice in one week). I am curious as to what they will say before anyone here starts speculating. My $1.00's worth.
Old 01-19-2002, 04:59 PM

talked to both

talked to both the service manager and another service writer recommended by my sales guy. both say they can not do a B until the odometer reads 14001. my problem that i took it in 91 miles too early. they say main thing was that it was a lack of communication from the 1st service writer. they claim that the right thing was done, an A. and that a B would be done next time if >14000 miles. claim they can reset the computer to do this. but I'm not willing to take car back in there until we see eye to eye on the future. I am returning a mb survey to reflect this. Additional problems: lack of mb loaner car as promised, writer did not show up at 8:00 when i dropped off the car, (wanted to meet writer in person for 1st time, since my last guy moved to Lake Havasu), no mention of change in service from B to A on phone, and then the fuel guage goes crazy after i get the car back. I call him back to report to find out about fuel guage after reading posts here, service writer seemed clueless or unwilling to do work until I mentioned mbworld. also called service manager, left message, did not get a return call all day.

seeking advice from mbtech if this is routine. also from other members if they had this experience and what they did about it.
also seeking referrals to writers at Laguna Hills or Fletcher since both are convenient to my work.

that's my solution...find a service writer that knows how to keep cars in top performance, not worry about who's going to foot the dime
Old 01-19-2002, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Randy wrote:
Silvercharm, my first question is why have you not talked to the service writer
and or manager about your lack of service and concerns. Seems like that would
be the more appropriate forum to start this questioning and then report back to
us with what they stated (ie: mistake and or overlooked, or were just going to
gouge you twice in one week). I am curious as to what they will say before
anyone here starts speculating. My $1.00's worth.
A couple of additional points:

1. Establish a good rapport with your service advisor.

2. Call 1-800-for-merc (MBUSA) for an official answer to a service related problem for a specific response; - then let us know.

I thought that the air dust filter gets changed every time whether A or B service is provided.
Old 01-19-2002, 07:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: talked to both

Originally posted by silvercharm
talked to both the service manager and another service writer recommended by my sales guy. both say they can not do a B until the odometer reads 14001. my problem that i took it in 91 miles too early. they say main thing was that it was a lack of communication from the 1st service writer. they claim that the right thing was done, an A. and that a B would be done next time if >14000 miles. claim they can reset the computer to do this. but I'm not willing to take car back in there until we see eye to eye on the future. I am returning a mb survey to reflect this. Additional problems: lack of mb loaner car as promised, writer did not show up at 8:00 when i dropped off the car, (wanted to meet writer in person for 1st time, since my last guy moved to Lake Havasu), no mention of change in service from B to A on phone, and then the fuel guage goes crazy after i get the car back. I call him back to report to find out about fuel guage after reading posts here, service writer seemed clueless or unwilling to do work until I mentioned mbworld. also called service manager, left message, did not get a return call all day.

seeking advice from mbtech if this is routine. also from other members if they had this experience and what they did about it.
also seeking referrals to writers at Laguna Hills or Fletcher since both are convenient to my work.

that's my solution...find a service writer that knows how to keep cars in top performance, not worry about who's going to foot the dime
I'm confused. How can they not be able to do a Service B? I was, and still am, not aware of something special that occurs every 14,000 miles that makes your car applicable for a B service. I would call another dealer and tell them that you would like an appointment for a B service.
Old 01-19-2002, 09:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
**SOLD***2003 E500
Thumbs up OK, now we are getting somewhere.

Sounds like someone screwed you at the dealership. Forget about the fact they were not on time, and no loaner car, they cannot perform service because of 91 miles. Bull****!! I would definitely spend a few minutes on the phone with MBUSA, and have them credit you the service for the A toward a B service. Good luck with it!:p
Old 01-19-2002, 11:21 PM

CLK320
Silvercharm, I am curious. Which Southern California Dealer did you go to?
Old 01-20-2002, 01:53 AM

'01 CLK320
was this your first service ever?

Stupid question - have you had service done before this one? I mean did you ever get a service A before 13,000 miles to expect a service B at 14,000?

My computer told me to do my first service (a service A) at 14,000 miles... I can't imagine that you're already up to your 2nd service at 14,000.

Also, they change your air filter during service A... they washed my car too
Old 01-20-2002, 01:11 PM

yes, first service

yes, it was the first service. it bought the car in feb 2001. and the car went in on jan 2002. what made me more cautious is that fss had first said service a at 10000 and then switched to service b at 14200. after i started driving it for a few month. I change my mobil 1 in my toyota(260,000miles) at 5k so naturally it concerned me to go up to 14k in my big car.

i will follow up with mbusa and let you know what happens. for 91 miles is bull****.

what happened in drews case?

the dealer is walter's mercedes in riverside.

also have a story about the finance person calling me the next day after delivery saying she need to change money factor. I saw her look it up in a book, when i signed. what i think happened, she put in lojak and changed the automatic calculations then called me because the numbers didn't workout. told them we had a contract and that was done.

fyi, they wanted another 70 a month for 36 months. now that's real bull****

stayed with riverside b/c they replaced four pilot sx with pilot sports in the first month. no charge. but like i said that service writer is in havasu
Old 01-20-2002, 03:18 PM
Ron
Almost a Member!

2001 CLK 320 convertible
Angry CLK Service

Your dealer is a flake. You should have gotten your A service first, period. I had my A service conducted and the tech forgot to fill in the blue sheet indicating what had been done and how the car was doing, and the service manager offered to completely re-service the car at no charge.

Also, you might want to become better acquainted with what's known as the fuel sender unit. Those are what are causing your fuel gauge to malfunction. Sooner or later it'll stop working altogether. That's what mine did, they all seem to have this problem sooner or later, and it'll mean that they have to remove your gas tank and replace two sender units.

This should be handled as an overnight in-warranty repair.

Cheers.

Last edited by Ron; 01-20-2002 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-20-2002, 03:22 PM

'01 CLK 55
If this is the dealer that you'll being doing most if not all of your service work with, I suggest you identify the shop FOREMAN(everyone else is pretty much useless) and introduce yourself with ? in hand. Build a good rapport with him, tell him you wish to sincerely show your appreciation of any assistance he can avail, and I guarantee you that your efforts will separate you from all the other a$$holes he deals with throughout the day. Your service requirements will be more than adequately met. I speak from experience here. The perks well outweigh the effort. I NEVER need to speak to a service advisor and my guy bends over backward to help me out.
Old 01-20-2002, 03:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: yes, first service

Originally posted by silvercharm

the dealer is walter's mercedes in riverside.
Go to caliber motors, about 20 miles from you off of Imperial and the 91. (714)777-1900. Ask for Rob Deck, and tell them that you'll need a loaner car. They just got brand new E classes.
Old 01-31-2002, 01:17 PM

Smile thanks to all

Thanks to all... I went to visit Mercedes Benz of Laguna Niguel, during my lunch and met with the service manager, Randy Stinson. He told me that the 98-00 CLK have FSS that just would indicate that service was needed and then the 14000 mile rule would apply. In my 01 you have to absolutely go by the computer. He said he would look into getting the rest of service B done and recommended one of his service writers for my fuel sender units.

The service dept was tight. I got my loaner e class on time. Initially, they wrote up the fuel sender units, and added wiper blades and a trim clip. Then later in the day my advisor, Jim Olsen, called and said they would be doing the rest of B service. The garage was clean and everything was great. Now I'm driving with a Mercedes Benz of Laguna Niguel plate holder.

Thanks to everyone, my clk is back to 100% again.

Now for some upgrades...