CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

passenger side seat problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 clk430
passenger side seat problem

my 2001 clk430's passenger side seat does not travel foreward or back, but all the other options work as they should. When I try the travel swith, I hear a clicing sound, but no movements. I need input ASAP. Thanks
Old 12-14-2009, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 CLK430
There are 3 motors in our seats and one of them control the forward and back movement. Try the following steps:

1. Open the trunk, there is a fuse box located on the top right of the spare tire well. Open up the black fuse box and make sure that all fuses are good ( I say this because I cant remember which one it is). If it is bad then replace it and you shoud be good now.

2. If the fuse does not fix the problem then try moving the seat up as high as possible and hit the motors on the bottom of the seat with a screwdriver of a small hammer while trying to move the seat forward with the buttons (may take 2 people). Also, make sure that a penny or some other object hasn't wedged itself in the track. This works for me for now until I buy a new seat motor.

Greg
Old 12-14-2009, 05:35 PM

2001 CLK 320
I rearranged the wires under my seat so the controls to move the seat up and down moved it forward and back. But just recently this stopped working so it might be time to buy a new motor
Old 12-14-2009, 06:32 PM

2001 clk430
Thanks Greg, you were right. Fuse no#9 in trunk fuse box was broken.
I couldn't thank you enough...
Old 12-14-2009, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
Glad we figured it out!! BUT...this is a sign of a motor that may be on its way out. I hope I am wrong.

Greg
Old 12-15-2009, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 320 (2001) and 2015 GTR
^ way to go greg.. i ordered a new motor from dealer today and costed me $150 brand new..i had no choice..i called junk yard and others online website and no one had it.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
Originally Posted by big_mike1979
^ way to go greg.. i ordered a new motor from dealer today and costed me $150 brand new..i had no choice..i called junk yard and others online website and no one had it.
Thanks!!

Trending Topics

Old 12-16-2009, 08:41 PM

2001 clk430
Greg, sorry to get back to you so late, however assuming you're correct, for future refrences, which one of the motors at the bottom of the seat causes it to travel back and forth, and also are there any instructions posted as to how to replace the unit.THANK-YOU in advace
Old 12-16-2009, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK430
I did a search and it seems that it is the one to the front left and found this DIY:

I just replaced the motor and my seat works normally now. You need to remove the seats cover panel on the side of it. There is one screw to remove near the back of the seat. Once the screw is removed. push it up and forward and out. Dont pull first at the front like i did and break the plastic finger/hook. Onces that is removed, there will be two "star" torx screw to remove, so that you can fold the seat up torwards the back rest. Look under the seat at the front and figure out which one. The one at the shifter side is a tough one to remove without the right tools.

From there you can acces the motors.

When you here clicks and it doesnt move that means the motors dead or the gears are jammed. more than likely its a dead motor. Tapping on it use to work for me, until the motor just couldn't turn any more. I actually got the problem motor turning with out mounting it, but it just jammed again. I wanted to take it appart and lube it or something but its just not worth it for me. too much work. For those who don't want to buy another motor you can swap the front up and down motor and put it on the forwards and backwards. Make sure you adjust the position of the up and down position before removing that motor. Then you'll have to get used to press up on the control to go forward. I did that just to move the seat foward to the correct position. Should have done that a couple days before so I wouldnt have to put two pillows behind me to reach the pedal!.

I don't think you need to get the passenger seat out if you are just to replace the motor. If you still need to its the four in the corners. The seat has to be moved in the middle to expose the back bolts. Its just four bolts in the corners.

Greg