CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

HPS Supercharger

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Clk430
Originally Posted by silence
yeah, I wouldn't worry about sucking the gasses back throught he charger- i did for about 7k miles before taking apart my car quite a bit and saw very little evidence of dirty stuff. I am running a catch can now- it's located down low on the drivers side.

I did do HPSs instructions with the front of the motor with those vacuum solonoids

Otherwise, ya- I think you've basically got it. come up from those tees on the back and get vacuum to all the stuff that needs it.

for the fpr though- I'd recommend tapping a copper fitting into the inlet pipe so that you are absolutely sure that no matter what THAT sees boost when the motor is boosting. mine is tapped onto the back of my intercooler in that manner.

here's a very dirty (sort of in progess) picture- I was going to try to snap some of the important stuff for you, but I did too good a job of hiding most of it. Sorry for the random wires, dust and junk. It's middle of winter here.
Ok here we go, since im not crazy about having a vented catch can im gunna go with the second diagram, T all the valve cover lines and vapor line together, to a closed catch can, then into the TB. hopefully thatll be enough to vent everything if not maybe use bigger lines? then as for the fmu line, Nitrogen drilled a hole in the supercharger outlet pipe(for the water/meth i guess?) that should be good for the fmu. i thought the vortech fmu/fpr worked off vacuum?LOL that woulda been bad!!! anyways which ever way it works i also have a fitting on the supercharger inlet pipe. the diagram shows everything(red=vacuum, blue=boost, gold circles=fittings in pipes) Should i run the bypass valve off of one of these fittings? 2precise, number 1, your car is unbelievable,and 2, i believe nitrogen had his car setup using a vacuum pump. sounds like the most effective way of venting the system but thats a whole nother project in itself and idk if im ready to start fabricating brackets and such. def way to go, ill see how it runs the way im describing it and then ill go from there.
Attached Thumbnails HPS Supercharger-hps-tubing-2.jpg  
Old 01-04-2010, 06:34 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
clk55 amg
my setup

This is my setup...

The vent can is not enough, I'm im the process of mounting a vacuum pump and #12 -an line from each cover into a separator can then the pump. I have been running this setup for a year now and my oil dipstick keeps blowing out. I do have a rebuilt motor with a little more umph and compression, but still u need a pump for best results. If you look closely a made proper fitting to attach the smaller hoses to the big hose. Im gonna sell the setup in the picture, lines fittings and can if anyone is interested.

Alex
Attached Thumbnails HPS Supercharger-benz1.jpg   HPS Supercharger-benz2.jpg   HPS Supercharger-benz3.jpg  
Old 01-04-2010, 06:39 PM

clk55 amg
LOL thanks bro... I think your diagram will work well, I was thinking about doing that ,but I want clean air going into the system, u wouldnt believe the mess the EGR makes and that stupid air pump on the front. I removed and blocked off everything, so the only air coming into the motor is from the TB. just check your dipstick often to see if it didnt blow out, due to insufficient vacuum.

What kind of pump did nitrogen use ? any idea? Im still trying to find a reliable one.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:12 PM

2002 Clk430
clean air would be better but i dont want to deal with the smell and mess in the engine compartment from venting to atmosphere, its a mercedes. ill def check the dipstick. i hav no clue what vacuum pump he used
Old 01-04-2010, 08:59 PM

clk55 amg
yea u can definately smell it lol, I was also debataing to get the crankcase evacuation kit by moroso, where the exhaust sucks up the crankcase and out the tailpipes......
Old 01-04-2010, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
I still am a bit confused why some of ya'll are having this problem with the dipstick pushing out
Old 01-04-2010, 09:33 PM

clk55 amg
I dont know about anyone else, but I have this problem now because Iam venting the crankcase without any vacuum and it's not enough because the stock system hole in the valve covers are to small and cannot vent fast enough on its own. Also I built my motor and gapped my rings to suit the supercharger, so my ring gaps are bigger then a NA motor, so I have more blow by then stock. I need a vacuum system to suck the crap out and keep the pressure negative under the rings. I dont want to recirculate the blow by back in the motor cause its dirtyyyyyyy. I want clean air only.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:47 PM

2002 Clk430
Originally Posted by 2PRECISE
yea u can definately smell it lol, I was also debataing to get the crankcase evacuation kit by moroso, where the exhaust sucks up the crankcase and out the tailpipes......
i bought a moroso breather tank crankcase evacuation can PN:85473. but its got a filter on top and thats exactly what i dont want now, o well. If you want it make me an offer i cant refuse, payed 120 for it at an SKspeed by my house. still in packaging,never opened
Old 01-04-2010, 10:19 PM

clk55 amg
I have the exact tank, I modified it so it can mount without hacking the car. I need a seperate tank now and a vacuum pump. Need suction !!!! lol

Last edited by 2PRECISE; 01-04-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by Silv430ClkR
Thanks for jacking my thread ive been workn so hard on!!!!! lol J/K. This def sounds good to me, coupled with lsd should be alot of fun. im going to look more in depth into that. i also want to pick up a set of c43 heads and work them a bit, port/polished manifold, and looking at kleemann headers, but thats a ways down the line. i want to get this thing up n going with the blower first to make sure the motor can handle just that for a while b4 i dump more into it n blow it. sooooo what you guys think about the ways im thinking of running the lines, and any help with the other questions would be very helpful!!!! Thanks to all
The C43 and CLK430 head are the same part number. On the C43 head, the roof of the exhaust port appears to have been opened up. The sides and the floor appear to be the same. Porting the sides and the floor (at least by a head man I know) has reduced velocity in the normal rev range of an NA. Adding boost dramatically changes flow, so in that case the porting may be of some use.

The C43 and CLK430 head use the same intake and exhaust valves. The C43 uses different cams (left 113 050 41 01 / right 113 050 40 01) and different springs (1130530120).

However, if you’re going to use a blower, cams with less overlap are usually more desirable. Since the cams are going to need work, you’ll probably need new springs to match the cams, and the ports will need work, rather than buying C43 heads, you may want to consider just paying your machine shop to work on your existing CLK heads.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by MarcusF
The C43 and CLK430 head are the same part number. On the C43 head, the roof of the exhaust port appears to have been opened up. The sides and the floor appear to be the same. Porting the sides and the floor (at least by a head man I know) has reduced velocity in the normal rev range of an NA. Adding boost dramatically changes flow, so in that case the porting may be of some use.

The C43 and CLK430 head use the same intake and exhaust valves. The C43 uses different cams (left 113 050 41 01 / right 113 050 40 01) and different springs (1130530120).

However, if you’re going to use a blower, cams with less overlap are usually more desirable. Since the cams are going to need work, you’ll probably need new springs to match the cams, and the ports will need work, rather than buying C43 heads, you may want to consider just paying your machine shop to work on your existing CLK heads.
Yeah, the W208 valve springs are conical in shape and I believe are only used on the W208. I can get the part number if anyone needs it.

Marcus, we need to talk... Ive been kicking around an idea and would like your input.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:50 PM

2002 Clk430
Originally Posted by MarcusF

Thanks for the heads up and lesson in differences between the heads. i think i want to get another set anyway to play with just so i have a spare set and my car isnt layed up longer when time comes to install them(its my only car right now)but by then i hope to hav another car bc i dont think thats going to happen anytime soon. are you a mercedes engineer or somthin lol, cuz if your not id be lookin for an opening. you kno so much,its scary!!!!
Old 01-05-2010, 11:54 PM

clk55 amg
I wouldnt bother with the heads, the gains will be so minor, it wont even make difference unless your going ***** out with everthing else, only difference you will see is your wallet getting real thin!!!!
Old 01-09-2010, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
2Precise, the vac pump I used was from GZmotorsports. It's a small unit modified with better internals for prolonged street use. These pumps were also made to run wet pulling a good amount of oil through so they don't burn out as fast. I've heard that the dry pumps are great but anything longer than track runs and they burn out. Check out gzmotorsports, I basically bought 80% of the LS1/LS2 chevy street vac kit. Pulled great vacuum, could barely take off the oil fill cap.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:04 AM

clk55 amg
Thanks Bro.... I was just gonna post a response to ask you...lol... I guess u made a mandrel and mounted the pump on the side?? GM used an electric vacumm pump on the early style impala SS. Mount it anywhere no pulleys. I will look into that , but i like the gz pumps too.

Last edited by 2PRECISE; 01-09-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
just out of curiosity- what years used that gm pump>
Old 01-11-2010, 02:26 AM

2002 Clk430
y-splitter

OK went out, picked up everything i needed to begin the install. everything is looking straight forward to me at this point but one last thing. the HPS P/N MBE430-054 Vac. to Pressure Compensator y-splitter. is that anything special or just an ordinary y-splitter, in the instructions it specifically tells you to vent the end with the red bands, i dont know if i can just use a regular splitter. heres a pick of it, i didnt recieve this part with the kit.
Attached Thumbnails HPS Supercharger-y-splitter.jpg   HPS Supercharger-y.jpg  
Old 01-11-2010, 08:49 PM

clk55 amg
silence....... Not sure the years but its the impala SS that have the 5 star rims , only came black and they are the long 4 door. But I dont think they will work as well, I think nitrogen used them with no success. Im working on my pan evac setup currently. So far i got the breather cover fitted with #12 fittings which I made from billet aluminum and have and O ring seal between the cover and fitting and these will go into the pump. The valve covers r made from magnesium so I couldnt weld the fitting on, I kinda like this setup cause I can change it in the future if need be. Im still debating which pump to use and tanks.... more to follow as i progress.
Attached Thumbnails HPS Supercharger-p1020371.jpg   HPS Supercharger-p1020372.jpg   HPS Supercharger-p1020373.jpg   HPS Supercharger-p1020374.jpg   HPS Supercharger-p1020375.jpg  

Old 01-11-2010, 08:58 PM

clk55 amg
silv..... That connects to the map sensor and yes that red end vent to astmosphere, because the map sensor cannot see pressure only vacumm or no vacuum. Mine got plugged up and and was throwing my car into limp mode. I used an OE benz one way valve, I'll take a pic of it, works great and it's relaible.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:11 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
This is my setup...

The vent can is not enough, I'm im the process of mounting a vacuum pump and #12 -an line from each cover into a separator can then the pump. I have been running this setup for a year now and my oil dipstick keeps blowing out. I do have a rebuilt motor with a little more umph and compression, but still u need a pump for best results. If you look closely a made proper fitting to attach the smaller hoses to the big hose. Im gonna sell the setup in the picture, lines fittings and can if anyone is interested.

Alex
Badass setup! Who did your intake? Are you still using the stock MAF?
Old 01-22-2010, 09:36 PM

clk55 amg
Thanks Blackbenzz.... I make everything myself on my car. The intake sit on top of the stock mass. Im gonna be installing a fuel controller that wires into the mass, and i can map my own fuel, once im finished all the other crap im soaking into this car....
Old 01-23-2010, 01:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
So when are we gonna see you two go head to head on Youtube!?? seriously though... props to you both on pushing the envelope.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:26 AM

clk55 amg
LOL..... Im in Canada, it was a good thought though..... anyone got cams in their car?? Im debating how to grind my cams....
Old 01-24-2010, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430
LOL..... Im in Canada, it was a good thought though..... anyone got cams in their car?? Im debating how to grind my cams....
I got 5.4L AMG cams, very good for mid-range and top end.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:11 PM

clk55 amg
what r the specs? who made them and how much??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: HPS Supercharger