CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Raced the new 2010 GTR!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'00 Mercedes 430/55 clk cabriolet
Raced the new 2010 GTR!

Hey Guys,

I had to tell you about this 3 mile race with an '09 Nissan GTR!

I was on my way home this evening from a friends enjoying a spirited drive. As this was the first dry, slightly mild (6c) time I have driven my car since I had Ash's (VIPclk320) strut bar installed I decided to test it out on the scenic route. I have already mentioned that his custom cold air feed worked well in another post but this was the first time testing it out using the upper rev range.

So anyway coming to a set of lights which were red I spot this black car gleaming in the night, waiting at the head of the lane next to me. 4 chrome tail pipes sticking out and a set of lovely looking L.E.D tail lights. I knew it had to be a GTR!

Pulling up at this stop light I braked hard just before, then made the car jump forward a bit on the throttle, my exhaust is quite loud so it would grab your attention when revved. The GTR had blacked out windows so I couldn't see the driver next to me.

As the light turned green I gassed it a little harder making the tyres smoke then nailed it for 100 yards to a left turn. Our dual carriageways are fairly quiet at night making this ideal. The GTR took the bait and sucked right up to my bumper, I floored it downshifting to 2nd and then the GTR jinked left then passed me about 15mph faster. I knew he was faster but I wanted to see how fast so I didn't let up. Surprisingly he only gained 4 cars lengths before the next bend. He backed off early and I was on his bumper before we both floored it on the straight. Again he made ground on me this time 2-3 cars lengths before another bend and I was right back on him. Same thing happened down the next straight, but 1/4 mile later at another bend he braked early which meant I had to too, but this time he moved over. As he did so I pushed ahead but as we were on a sweeping left hander I had a bit further to go and as I went passed him the road straightened out and he was able to get back on the power. We were into 3 figure speeds on the exit of this bend but you wouldn't have thought so with the speed the GTR catches and passes you. I kept him within 4 cars lengths till we came to a roundabout and I had to turn off. I flashed my lights at him to say thanks for a good show and he flashed his hazzards before heading straight on.

All I can say is what a car! My own car surprised me too! I didn't realise how quick it is and how well it clung to the bends.
I was faster (was braver) through the bends but the GTR was very quick out of them.

I know people will say save it for the track, but when you're in a good mood enjoying your drive and something nice happens you kind of go with the flow.

BIG shout out to Ash (VIPclk320) on the cold air feed and the custom strut bars they work brilliantly! My car ran hard (it's definately making more power) and handled superbly

Last edited by Pauljay; 01-24-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
CLK Cabrio
sounds like you had a blast! those gtr's are crazy.
Im thinking of getting Ash's intake setup, so thanks for the info!
Old 01-25-2010, 03:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 clk320
mmmmmmm i wish i could have seen it go down
Old 01-25-2010, 07:29 PM

Hey, thanks Guys!

It sure was fun! I wanted it to go on for longer but I knew that after the roundabout we were going into a town, otherwise I would have carried on.

From the go, in a straight line he would of had me for sure, but because of the bends I was able to stay in touch.

Surprisingly I was faster through the bends, I know the GTR has 4 wheel drive but I recon my front splitter came into effect (it is functional). It sits 3in off the ground and adds alot of down force. I know it's alot because when I first installed it to the Brabus chin spoiler by screws, it pulled the chin spoiler off the front bumper after my first high speed run. The Brabus spoiler is only held in by push fit stays (which were strong enough before). So now I've reinforced it with screws and no problems since.

Alot of credit again goes to Ash and his mods.

I wish I could have seen it from an outside point of view too. My car looks and sounds great! And to see the two of us from a good vantage point would have looked so cool.

I bet the GTR thought "what's this old Merc doing? I'll show him!"
I'm glad he didn't though otherwise I'd have nothing to tell. Ha Ha!

Here's a picture of my splitter. (6th post in).

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...-splitter.html
Old 01-25-2010, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK W208
Originally Posted by Pauljay
Hey, thanks Guys!

It sure was fun! I wanted it to go on for longer but I knew that after the roundabout we were going into a town, otherwise I would have carried on.

From the go, in a straight line he would of had me for sure, but because of the bends I was able to stay in touch.

Surprisingly I was faster through the bends, I know the GTR has 4 wheel drive but I recon my front splitter came into effect (it is functional). It sits 3in off the ground and adds alot of down force. I know it's alot because when I first installed it to the Brabus chin spoiler by screws, it pulled the chin spoiler off the front bumper after my first high speed run. The Brabus spoiler is only held in by push fit stays (which were strong enough before). So now I've reinforced it with screws and no problems since.

Alot of credit again goes to Ash and his mods.

I wish I could have seen it from an outside point of view too. My car looks and sounds great! And to see the two of us from a good vantage point would have looked so cool.

I bet the GTR thought "what's this old Merc doing? I'll show him!"
I'm glad he didn't though otherwise I'd have nothing to tell. Ha Ha!

Here's a picture of my splitter. (6th post in).

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...-splitter.html
Sounds like you had yourself a fund drive back home. And thank you for your kind words, i'm glad you like and are enjoying the products, i put a lot of time research and testing into these products and i'm glad other friends are enjoying it as much as i am.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:29 PM

Hi Ash. Thanks again man!
Old 01-31-2010, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 320
Lol. Dude in the GTR was probably not even trying hard. Our 320's are slower that *****. I always have guys trying to race me when I'm testing my rally car. I never give 100% since I alreay know what the outcome would be if I did...

Trending Topics

Old 01-31-2010, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK W208
Originally Posted by murdock
Lol. Dude in the GTR was probably not even trying hard. Our 320's are slower that *****. I always have guys trying to race me when I'm testing my rally car. I never give 100% since I alreay know what the outcome would be if I did...
Yes the 320s are super slow even though they have way better gearing than the 430s and the 55s, but check out his auto description on his side bar and you see that he has 430 that has been converted to a 55 AMG, now thats a whole different ball game and yes the GTRs are a beasts but the 55s can give them a run for their money.