CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Torque Converter flush: Attach poly hose to Trans. cooler line.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 12:16 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2000 CLK430 Cabriolet

First, remove the large plastic shroud which covers the bottom of the engine. It has four bolts. This will expose the pan. Then locate the Trans. cooler line running along the driver's side of the engine oil pan. The steel tubing is connected to the radiator/cooler by about an 18 inch coil wrapped rubber hose. Before you put a wrench on it, make sure to squirt the joint with brake cleaner and use a towel to clean it well, so that no loose crud gets into the system when you union the joint again. Use flare wrenches on the hose/tubing. Disconnect the hose where it meets the steel tubing, not where the hose joins the cooler. Affix a 5/8 inch poly line to the tubing. Other end of tubing goes into a calibrated bottle. I used an empty washer fluid bottle which I had marked with quart lines. You'll need a buddy to start the car in park, keeping a foot on the brake. Take out a quart, put in a quart--do this 15 times. I ran an extra 3 quarts through until the fluid started coming out nice and pink.
Attached Thumbnails Torque Converter flush: Attach poly hose to Trans. cooler line.-trans-cooler-line-disconnect-flush.jpg  

Last edited by Pancho; 03-07-2010 at 12:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
shadenfroh (08-06-2016)
Old 07-10-2011, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 430a cabriolet
Originally Posted by Pancho

First, remove the large plastic shroud which covers the bottom of the engine. It has four bolts. This will expose the pan. Then locate the Trans. cooler line running along the driver's side of the engine oil pan. The steel tubing is connected to the radiator/cooler by about an 18 inch coil wrapped rubber hose. Before you put a wrench on it, make sure to squirt the joint with brake cleaner and use a towel to clean it well, so that no loose crud gets into the system when you union the joint again. Use flare wrenches on the hose/tubing. Disconnect the hose where it meets the steel tubing, not where the hose joins the cooler. Affix a 5/8 inch poly line to the tubing. Other end of tubing goes into a calibrated bottle. I used an empty washer fluid bottle which I had marked with quart lines. You'll need a buddy to start the car in park, keeping a foot on the brake. Take out a quart, put in a quart--do this 15 times. I ran an extra 3 quarts through until the fluid started coming out nice and pink.
Thank you. I've been looking all over for where the cooler lines are on this model as well as the size of the poly line tubing. You are a life saver.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:34 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2000 CLK430 Cabriolet
Don't fall for the MB fluid rip off.

Transmission Fluid: Valvoline MaxLife ATF, $3.67 /Qt. at Walmart.

Mercedes Technical Service Bulletin states that Valvoline MaxLife ATF is compatible with Mercedes transmission "722.6" and "Spec 236.10".

Valvoline Compatibility Letter states that Valvoline MaxLife is compatible with Mercedes Spec. "236.x (except for 236.12 and 236.20"

This information means that for my transmission, which is type 722.623, I can use Valvoline MaxLife ATF, which is readily available, and is $3.67 /Qt. at Walmart.

Here are some links. Read these postings and save yourself about $250, and avoid the typical MB dealership rip off.

Link 1:
https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...ml#post3923160

Link 2:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w208...ml#post3968600
Old 07-10-2011, 09:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sold 2003 CLK 500,2003 SL 500,2006 Acura MDX,1998 BMW M3 convertible

Mercedes Technical Service Bulletin states that Valvoline MaxLife ATF is compatible with Mercedes transmission "722.6" and "Spec 236.10".

Valvoline Compatibility Letter states that Valvoline MaxLife is compatible with Mercedes Spec. "236.x (except for 236.12 and 236.20"

This information means that for my transmission, which is type 722.623, I can use Valvoline MaxLife ATF, which is readily available, and is $3.67 /Qt. at Walmart.

Here are some links. Read these postings and save yourself about $250, and avoid the typical MB dealership rip off.

Link 1:

Link 2:
You are 100% correct Pacho! I also used Valvoline maxlife over two years ago when I Flush my tranny fluid, never had any problems. My tranny shift smoothly (perfectly)
Old 07-11-2011, 09:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 clk 320 cabriolet
Also take a look at Post #144 on the 208 How To thread. I cover some more details on the flushing procedure when there is no torque converter drain plug.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:58 PM

'03 430a cabriolet
Smile

Link 1:

Link 2:
Thank you for the advise on the fluid. I couldn't find Valvoline MaxLife at Walmart so I ended up getting it from Advance Autoparts online ($5.89/QT), where I got to apply a $20 coupon code. Selected in store pick up and it was ready for me in an hour.

I noticed the tubing you show above looks like a vinyl tubing, but you say to use a poly tubing. Can you clarify what is an acceptable tubing. I believe vinyl tubing can handle up to 80C.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 clk 320 cabriolet
The tubing doesn't seem to be important - it just allows you to point the stream more precisely into the calibrated receptical. Vinyl is sometimes short for polyvinyl chloride or PVC (plastic garden hose or Tygon). I have used a 6" piece of 5/8" garden hose to do the job. Poly usually refers to polyester or poly propalene. Both are stiffer and not as flexible as PVC and won't seal as well as PVC. They're also harder to come across. Since there is no real pressure from the pump (it takes about 40-60 sec. to fill up the three liters at idle), you do not need a super-tight fitting for the hose. If you're really good, you don't need a hose at all - it just makes it a little easier and cleaner.

Personally, I don't like the idea of working with quarts of hot hydraulic fluid that can be painful when applied inadvertantly to my skin. I do this job first thing in the morning or after the car has been sitting for hours. In no way do I want to start dropping the trans fluid when it's hot. Cold is safer.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:19 PM

'03 430a cabriolet
Originally Posted by gorgerider
Also take a look at Post #144 on the 208 How To thread. I cover some more details on the flushing procedure when there is no torque converter drain plug.
Thanks. That was also a very useful post. Will use it to guide my efforts.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:28 PM

'03 430a cabriolet
Originally Posted by gorgerider
The tubing doesn't seem to be important - it just allows you to point the stream more precisely into the calibrated receptical. Vinyl is sometimes short for polyvinyl chloride or PVC (plastic garden hose or Tygon). I have used a 6" piece of 5/8" garden hose to do the job. Poly usually refers to polyester or poly propalene. Both are stiffer and not as flexible as PVC and won't seal as well as PVC. They're also harder to come across. Since there is no real pressure from the pump (it takes about 40-60 sec. to fill up the three liters at idle), you do not need a super-tight fitting for the hose. If you're really good, you don't need a hose at all - it just makes it a little easier and cleaner.

Personally, I don't like the idea of working with quarts of hot hydraulic fluid that can be painful when applied inadvertantly to my skin. I do this job first thing in the morning or after the car has been sitting for hours. In no way do I want to start dropping the trans fluid when it's hot. Cold is safer.
Thanks gorgerider. I was pulling my hair out driving from store to store trying to find Polyurethane tubing with a 5/8" inner diameter. Now that I know I can use Vinyl, I'll pick some up at Lowe's tonight.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99 CLK 320
Thumbs up

man that picture made things so easy,i couldnt find it like i saw on the e320 but im glad you put this up