CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Question about painting the CALIPER

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Mercedes S550 Brabus
Question about painting the CALIPER

I would like to paint the caliper, but what/where to get the paint? I saw some people who painted their calipers, but can't remember who it was.

But, I heard that it is not good to paint the caliper, because the paint will melt. Any suggestion?
Old 03-30-2003, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GL450
There are allot of different Caliper paints out there.
From my experience I wasn't happy with the out come.
The main reason not to paint the caliper is for heat transfer.
Removing the heat from the brake pad and caliper is important.
Less heat = less friction = less ware =longer lasting braking components.
IMO the (W208) CLK brake caliper is one of the cheapest looking calipers I have ever seen. Even though it is very functional its visual design needs work. MB made changes to the brakes in 03 on the W209. I would recommend going with a true brake upgrade instead of painting them. You will be much happier in the long run
Best of luck to ya,
Tim
Old 03-30-2003, 10:48 PM

2001 CLK 55
Re: Question about painting the CALIPER

Originally posted by BlackBaby
I would like to paint the caliper, but what/where to get the paint? I saw some people who painted their calipers, but can't remember who it was.

But, I heard that it is not good to paint the caliper, because the paint will melt. Any suggestion?
painting your brake calipers works if you take your time and apply at least 4 or 5 coats. I went and got a can of 700 deg. Fahrenheit brake caliper paint from "Pepboys" ($4).

First, take the wheel off and use body shop paper sheets and masking tape and cover up everything except for what your working on. The more time you spend preping, the cleaner it'll look (especially if your not removing the calipers like I did....but, I do not recommend this if you don't have experience).

Secondly, make sure you clean the calipers with either brake cleaner or thinner, and use a stiff bristled brush to srub the heck out of um. You can use an air compressor to blow out the dust and dry them out (don't breath in the brake dust...potential carcinogen).

Finally, use short sweeping strokes, side to side covering the desired area. Don't try and lay it on thick all at once (it'll run), just barely enough to coat it. If you have access to a heat gun, you can speed up the "in-between coat" drying times with it.

Like I said, the more prep you do and more patient you are, the better your results will be.
I painted my back calipers to match a brake upgrade in the front a couple months ago, here's the link: rear painted calipers

I've noticed that ebay has "Mercedes" or "AMG" brake caliper stickers, these might help too.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Joe
Old 03-31-2003, 02:20 AM

MB SL55, MB S55, Porsche 997.1, BMW M6, BMW X5, Audi B8 S4
Joe 55 posted a good solution. There's also caliper paint kit. It comes with the a can of cleaner, paint, hardener and a brush. It's more expensive than the spray can high temp paint, around $40. After mixing, it has a gel like consistency. The caliper paint gives it a little more gloss. Looks best with smooth surfaced calipers. I have a kit if you are interested ( I hope you like blue , Evosport or Supreme Power Parts may have silver, red, black etc ).

Another alternate is to disassemble the brake assy, prep the calipers and have them powder coated. I've had great results using this method. Like Joe said, don't try to take apart the brakes if you don't have the knowledge and experience. A brake failure equates to a very bad day.

I see you are in Southern California, if you need a contact to do brakes /powder coating or whatever shoot me an email. i'll try to help.

DC
Old 03-31-2003, 02:27 AM

Thank you all for good advices.
I am putting a new Brembo discs and rotos (no calipers) this Friday and that's why I asked if I can paint the calipers at the same time when they are installing the brakes.

I have no time to order from the Internet since I need it by Friday. I want the color in black...don't need any fancy color. I just bought BREMBO stickers from eBay. I thought that those stickers are the sticker that I can wrap a whole caliper, but it wasn't. It was just a simple logo sticker. And, I ordered the one in RED. So, I have decided to paint the calipers in black and put RED Brembo stickers on top of it.

Where can I get the caliper kit in Southern California region? Can anyone tell me where to buy them?

Thank you.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:31 AM

Try Evosport (Brad or Ben) or Supreme Power Parts (Eric or Dan). Both located in Southern California.

DC
Old 04-01-2003, 02:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210, W220, W163, W164, C6
I recently purchased a set of Brembo rotors from Progressive Image located in Westwood/West Los Angeles...I notice in their display case they were selling G2 brake caliper paint.

Good Luck
Richard
Old 04-01-2003, 03:17 AM

Smile

Originally posted by Richard023
I recently purchased a set of Brembo rotors from Progressive Image located in Westwood/West Los Angeles...I notice in their display case they were selling G2 brake caliper paint.

Good Luck
Richard
G2 is what i have used in the past as well.

DC
Old 04-01-2003, 04:00 AM

I found the caliper kit... thanks all of you... I am going to install it this Friday.

Which color do you guys prefer?

I have black CLK430 Convertible with 19" chrome Lowenhart LD-1... don't know which color will look good on my car.

A lot of people color them with Red...
Old 04-01-2003, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Originally posted by Richard023

Good Luck
Richard
Richard... what did you think about Progressive Image's service? I was thinking about having them do some work for me too but wasn't sure about how good they are.
Old 04-02-2003, 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210, W220, W163, W164, C6
mmgrad

Actually I had my calipers painted @ Elegant Auto Sport (Burbank)...I came across Progressive Image through contacting Race Technologies/Brembo - PI had both sets of rotors for my E & ML (rears only - fronts next week) available.

The G2 & SS brake lines I purchased @ Performance Products.

Pete (general manager) @ PI was very receptive to my needs & questions...I certainly plan to do business w/them in the near future.

Richard