CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Has anyone had to replace their evaporator???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 08:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
01 clk 430
Has anyone had to replace their evaporator???

So my AC has had issues/leaks for a while. The past two years I have gotten a freon charge and it has lasted through the summer. This year it lasted for three days.

My mechanic searched for leaks and could only conclude that it was my evaporator. He told me it is a really big job to do. He has to remove my steering wheel, center-console and dash just to get to it.

I really need some advice. He is getting me a quote this week but I know it will be over 2k with labor. This may be the tip of the iceberg for me and my car. It may have to go.

If anyone has any advice for me please help me out.

Thanks guys

Last edited by Gundo; 05-16-2010 at 08:37 PM. Reason: error
Old 05-17-2010, 12:06 PM

01 clk 430
Does anyone have any input???
Old 05-17-2010, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clk 320
I dont know about all the details but you buy a Brand New AC Evaporator on Ebay for $215.00. Here's the the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OEM-M...Q5fAccessories
Old 05-17-2010, 10:19 PM

01 clk 430
Thanks dude, yeah Ive seen they are pretty enexpensive. The job is just so labor intensive which makes it pricey.

If anyone has any input please chime in, thanks.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts
2002 CLK430
I've pulled the dash on other cars. It's a tedious job. Not hard, you just have to tag EVERY wire and vacuum line so you know how it goes back together. Plan on ALL weekend. The center console looks like it's going to be a pain too. Anyone have a photo R&R for the console? The steering wheel is easy. The passenger airbag may be tricky too.

Before guessing that it's the evaporator, I'd try another shop. I'd let them run the dye through, and hear them say they don't see it anywhere so it has to be the evaporator. You'd hate to go through all that work only to discover the bottom side of some hose was leaking (far more common).

Last summer my daughters Civic had an AC leak. She was told it was the evaporator, condenser (which included the drier) and expansion valve. Basically, everything but the compressor and hoses. I ignored the "tech" and swapped the condenser. The condenser is up front, that's what gets hit by rocks, had the highest likelihood of leaking, and only took me an hour or so. I thought "How the heck does the evap get damaged? You can even SEE IT!" Turns out, it was the condensor. It has been working ever since. If I were you, I'd swap the condensor and tell someone else to charge it. If it holds, you're set. If it doesn't, you "guessed" on the $150 part that's easy to replace, rather than the $150 part that takes 2 days to replace. After you find out it's a $150 condenser, let me guess, your AC tech is fired, right?

Even if I had to pay the full $2K, I'd have the job done on the CLK. The car will sell cheap with no air (there are ways around that, but honesty counts for something). And even if you trade it, what would you get? A CPO lease turn in W211 E500? E550? CLK550 coupe? SLK55? At that point, just the sales tax is more than the $2K evap job. Although an SLK55 (which I don't like the looks of) is horrifically fast.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
I've owned a W123, two W124s and a W208. The 208 has had the least amount of a/c issues that I've 'heard' about.

Take Marcus' suggestion. Get a 2nd opinion - or 3rd before you drop the cash.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:22 PM

01 clk 430
Marcus, thanks a lot for chiming in on this thread, I was hoping you would. I have to tell you this whole deal has been a headache in conjunction with some other problems I have had with my 208. It really has made me consider my other options in vehicles lately.

I trust my indy mechanic and we are good friends but I sometimes think he jumps to conclusions prematurely. My problem is that my other option here in wichita is the local MB dealership. In your opinion should I take it there to get my second opinion before swapping the condenser on my own? I would think if anybody could really pinpoint the problem it would be them but I would rather support my indy guy.

Chappy, thanks for chiming in it really makes me think about it and marcus, as always I appreciate the knowledge you bring to this forum.

Trending Topics

Old 05-18-2010, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts
2002 CLK430
Before doing any work, I'd take it to the dealer for a second opinion. I would not tell them what the indy thinks. In fact, I wouldn't even mention an indy. I'd simply say, I had it charged, and it's not holding. If the evaporator is leaking, the dealer may have a way of spotting the dye with everything in place. It should be confirmed before starting a multi-thousand dollar expedition.

I hope it's the condensor. Condensors are big, and some of their leaks can be hard to spot. Hopefully the dealer is familiar with the most common spots for leaks, and can spot it. Let us know what they say.

Last edited by MarcusF; 05-18-2010 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:20 PM

01 clk 430
Well it goes to the dealership on Wednesday. I will let you guys know the outcome.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by Gundo
Marcus, thanks a lot for chiming in on this thread, I was hoping you would. I have to tell you this whole deal has been a headache in conjunction with some other problems I have had with my 208. It really has made me consider my other options in vehicles lately.

I trust my indy mechanic and we are good friends but I sometimes think he jumps to conclusions prematurely. My problem is that my other option here in wichita is the local MB dealership. In your opinion should I take it there to get my second opinion before swapping the condenser on my own? I would think if anybody could really pinpoint the problem it would be them but I would rather support my indy guy.

Chappy, thanks for chiming in it really makes me think about it and marcus, as always I appreciate the knowledge you bring to this forum.
You may trust your mechanic, but I would also get a second opinion. I had mine replaced to years ago and your mechanic is right about the amount of work but wrong on the price. My mechanic did it all for $1100.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:43 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2004 E55
get the system charged with leak dye, run the a/c as much as you can but drive the car little. if its the evaporator you will see leak dye usually on the floor from the evap drain tubes once the evap gets enough condensation on it to drain.

i can tell you one ****ty thing though, the evaps do take a **** in these and the 210 cars.