CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Trunk Wont Open!! center console light is showing as open

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
w208
Trunk Wont Open!! center console light is showing as open

i was taking my rear bumper off the other day, which requires carpet removal etc.....i dont know if i may have disconnected something while removing my bumper, but my trunk wont open with the center console switch, the key, nor the remote........also, the little light in the center console is lit up (to show that its open)....so i dono if i triggered something thats making the trunk think its open when its NOT.....the good news tho is that the rear seat is folded down on one side so i can mayb sneak into there if i need to.....

anyone have any idea what do about thissss??

thanks in advance...
Old 06-21-2010, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK 320
at one point my trunk wouldn't open, the light wasn't on tho..there's a few posts on here about getting your arm through the first aid opening and pulling on the seat release to get into the trunk..i tried this but was unsuccessful..so i broke the piece of plastic behind the arm rest which i was able to do cleanly and used a broom to push the seat release and get into the trunk..i then unscrewed the two bolts on the trunk latch and it popped open..then i put the latch back on, closed the trunk, and it worked..don't really know why it happened but this fixed it
Old 06-21-2010, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w208
thanks for the response, i guess ill try that as a last resort... i found this disconnected back there... could this be anything important?

Trunk Wont Open!! center console light is showing as open-978c8e1a.jpg
Old 06-21-2010, 03:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C63
that happened to me once when I accidentally slammed the trunk down on a t-shirt sticking out the back. it must have blocked a sensor or something. it was hell trying to pop that open again.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by deyainrdy4ds
thanks for the response, i guess ill try that as a last resort... i found this disconnected back there... could this be anything important?
Looks like the fiber connection for the CD changer. If so, it means nothing.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:59 AM

2000 CLK 320
there's a switch that detects the trunk being open or closed. the wire to the switch most likely got disconnected. locate the switch that's on the trunk and take the carpet panel behind it, it shouldnt be too hard to take off. reattach wire. good luck.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:03 PM

2001 CLK430
i have the same promblem... wit the lil light on the center trunk release switch but the trunk is closed... but i can open my trunk but! sometimes my rear tails would blink n my center dome lil light would come on, when the car is off... has that ever happen to anyone?
Old 06-22-2010, 06:13 PM

2002 clk320
have you tried crawling in to the trunk and opening it with the emergency open button? (the green one that glows in the dark)
Old 06-22-2010, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w208
Originally Posted by funky102
there's a switch that detects the trunk being open or closed. the wire to the switch most likely got disconnected. locate the switch that's on the trunk and take the carpet panel behind it, it shouldnt be too hard to take off. reattach wire. good luck.
any idea where that switch is or what it looks like?...all the carpets are removed and theres so many wires n stuff everywhere and i dono whats what so dont wanna mess up anything else lol

Originally Posted by BKzCLK430
i have the same promblem... wit the lil light on the center trunk release switch but the trunk is closed... but i can open my trunk but! sometimes my rear tails would blink n my center dome lil light would come on, when the car is off... has that ever happen to anyone?
i had the problem really often for a while ..its for a couple months then stops though...the tails would flash, the inner headlights flash and the dome would come on...idk what the hell it is till this day...its even killed my battery before...but i never had a problem with the trunk opening till i took this bumper off

Originally Posted by mrgoodcat66
have you tried crawling in to the trunk and opening it with the emergency open button? (the green one that glows in the dark)
didnt see any glowing green button....i was thinkn there might be an emergency switch or something but i dont know of any for our cars..?
Old 06-23-2010, 03:41 AM

2000 CLK 320
if you look on p. 270 of your manual, the left picture describes a switch. check the wiring to that switch. it is 1 or 2 inches to the left of the handle that you pull down when closing the trunk.

Originally Posted by deyainrdy4ds
any idea where that switch is or what it looks like?...all the carpets are removed and theres so many wires n stuff everywhere and i dono whats what so dont wanna mess up anything else lol

i had the problem really often for a while ..its for a couple months then stops though...the tails would flash, the inner headlights flash and the dome would come on...idk what the hell it is till this day...its even killed my battery before...but i never had a problem with the trunk opening till i took this bumper off

didnt see any glowing green button....i was thinkn there might be an emergency switch or something but i dont know of any for our cars..?
Old 06-29-2010, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
00 KLEEMANN CLK 430 - 02 KLEEMANN CLK55 - 88 Euro / Jap AMG 560 SEC Widebody
Originally Posted by mrgoodcat66

I'm inside the trunk right now - thank God I get cell/mobile internet service - cant see *****, forget about green glow in the dark button. Hope someone walks by soon and hears me yelling and can push the exterior trunk open button to get me the hell out of here!