CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Sway Bar Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 04:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes CLK 430
Sway Bar Upgrade

Hi, new to your forum.
I recently bought a 2002 CLK 430 Coupe with 30k miles. AMG body kit ans wheels. I love it!!!
My first Mercedes and I am kicking myself for waiting sooo long.
It seems to have excessive sway on cornering and I am thinking that it needs a heavier duty sway bar. Any suggestions?
Also, what suspension components should I replace at this age and mileage along with the sway bar? Plugs, wires, shocks, ball joints, dampeners, etc...
I am open to suggestions on all of the above.
I drive it pretty hard accelerating and cornering, but will seldom drive it above 90mph.
Also, looking for ways to improve the engine performance.
Thanks in advance
Old 07-05-2010, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 320 (2001) and 2015 GTR
H&R sway bar..
def changing your shocks and lowering it will improving cornering and stability
Old 07-05-2010, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
I would check the ball joints. If they are worn, then I’d replace them. The plugs are due once every five years. Aside from the A/B schedule, time schedule is toward the bottom of this page.

For handling, the first things I'd look at at tires and pressure.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:10 AM

Mercedes CLK 430
Originally Posted by MarcusF
I would check the ball joints. If they are worn, then I’d replace them. The plugs are due once every five years. Aside from the A/B schedule, time schedule is toward the bottom of this page.

For handling, the first things I'd look at at tires and pressure.
Marcus

How do I check the condition of the ball joints? I notice a clunking should on the left front when I turn the wheels all the way to the left.

What type of plugs would you recommend?
Ball Joints?
What are flex discs?
What type of shocks would you recommend? I dont want it to be too bouncy on the freeways.
How would one go about lowering it?
How can I improve the HP?
Also, what kind of tires would you recommend? My fronts are worn on the outside edge.

Since it is 8 years old, then from the schedule, I should do all of the following?
Every 2 years replace the brake fluid
Every 3 years replace the coolant.
Every 4 years or 50,000 miles check the condition of the flex discs.
Every 4 years or 50,000 miles retorque the steering gear bolts.
Every 4 years or 60,000 miles replace the fuel filter.
Every 4 years or 60,000 miles replace the air filter elements.
Every 4 years or 60,000 miles check the condition of the fuel filler nozzle seal in the filler neck.
Every 5 years or 100,000 miles replace the spark plugs

Thanks!
David
Old 07-06-2010, 12:14 AM

Mercedes CLK 430
Originally Posted by big_mike1979
H&R sway bar..
def changing your shocks and lowering it will improving cornering and stability
Hey Mike

Does HR only make one type of sway bar for this car? How would I lower it? Different springs? What shocks would you recommend without making it too bumpy on the freeway?

What would you recommend to boost the HP without sacrificing gas mileage?

Thanks!
David
Old 07-06-2010, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Oh man . . . . twenty 0 two in white. . . . . . . nice . .. . . . . .

That's a lot of questions, somebody else will probably give better answers but

I used OE Bosch plugs when I did mine.

To see if the ball joints are dead, raise the wheel check for vertical play when pushed from the bottom. Just grab the wheel at 12 and 6 o’clock and see if there’s any play.

Flex discs sit at both ends of the drive shaft. MB uses them instead of u-joints. They're rubber and will crack with age.

I like Bilstein shocks, but Sachs and Koni are nice too.

To lower it “a little”, go with the CLK55 springs. Much lower and I'm out of my territory. One of the professionals (cough cough – CLKFAN – cough) can probably help you out.

Improve HP? Well, you’ve already go the big throttle body (2001 and later), so Ghosts exhaust is next. If you really want to go fast, rumor has it that 2011 ZX10 testing at Suzuka begins on Wednesday. We're all hoping our main man in Japan WiLL bust out the zoom and get us the inside story.

If you're wearing tires on the outside, you have too much toe in. My next set of tires will be Continentals, but PZeros and Pilot Sports are probably better summer tires.

Follow that schedule and you’ll be OK.

Last edited by MarcusF; 07-06-2010 at 01:03 AM.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:53 AM

Mercedes CLK 430
Thanks for the quick reply!
Would excessive toe in also cause the oversteer I am feeling, or is that normal for this car?
Thanks,
David

Trending Topics

Old 07-06-2010, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by el_bubu
Hey Mike

Does HR only make one type of sway bar for this car? How would I lower it? Different springs? What shocks would you recommend without making it too bumpy on the freeway?

What would you recommend to boost the HP without sacrificing gas mileage?

Thanks!
David
Im sure they do bro. go on www.tirerack.com and u can get them from there or ebay.
To lower it, i can do too many things, i can keep stock everything and change the pad to #1 from e320.

Now if u wanna lower it to be noticeable ,i like HR and KOni shocks and change the pad #1..
do a search and tons of threads will come up and see what u like and whats fit u the most.

to boost your hp, u can redo the ecu but i would wait and get intake or exhuast then ECU to tie all the mods.
U can go with headers since u got the v8 or if got money, u can go with Kleeman supercharger but again depends what u want
Old 07-07-2010, 04:04 AM

Mercedes CLK 430
Hi, thanks for the info. What does change the pad mean? I am guessing it is a pad that goes under the coil springs? What do you think of the bars that VIK is selling? Are they better than the ones that I can buy from HR, etc...?
David
Old 07-07-2010, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hey bro.. u are correct. the pad is the rubber piece that sits on top of the spring. NOW u are confused regarding sway bar. vip doesnt sell sway bar. he sells struts tower brace that goes over the front engine and rear that goes in the trunk over the shocks! in other words its knows as stabilizers... yes i got vip bar and u can feel diff a lot. and when it comes to sway bar get hr.. u can never go wrong with it. good luck

Last edited by big_mike1979; 07-07-2010 at 08:42 AM.