CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Need info/tips: Plastic weld to repair torn bumper cover.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 01:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2000 CLK430 Cabriolet

Does anyone have any experience with this job ?
Tips on process, tools, materials needed ?

Experience with alternatives to welding ?

Thanks
Old 09-13-2010, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E550 and 1984 Porsche 944
I have had good luck using the gel form of Super Glue.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:42 PM

2002 CLK 320
Not sure if your talking about the grille insert on the front bumper I've got a solution. Pics would help
Old 09-13-2010, 05:43 PM

2000 CLK430 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by merclk320
Not sure if your talking about the grille insert on the front bumper I've got a solution. Pics would help
Need info/tips: Plastic weld to repair torn bumper cover. Note: bumper cover.

If you have something interesting to tell us about a fix Re. "grille insert", then it's ok with me if you post it in this topic--go ahead.

If someone wants to knock-off the AMG lower spoiler insert, then, for the sum of $4, buy some 3/4 inch, quarter round plastic molding at Home Depot, cut it to length, radius the two ends with sand paper, squirt it black with a rattle can, and screw it on with 3 stainless sheet metal screw. Voila, an AMG spoiler insert for $4.

Last edited by Pancho; 09-13-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:06 PM

2002 CLK 320
Alright man relax
Old 09-13-2010, 07:08 PM

2000 CLK430 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by merclk320
Alright man relax
I didn't mean to hurt your little feelings.
Before this gets too emotional,
maybe its better to just stay on topic--bumper cover.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:46 PM

2014 Audi Q7 SUV
I have a complete, almost new, non-OEM AMG-style (in other words, CLK 430 cosmetic appearance) bumper cover available for $199 plus $75 shipping within USA. This cover comes with an integrated lower intake grille. Has the cutouts for the optional headlight washers. Made by Sarona Designs. The good news is that it is cheap here, and if you'd call Sarona they will want $400 for it plus $90 freight. The other news is that this is a much lower quality product than M-B makes, in that it is lightweight, flexible, and has none of the support brackets for foglights, side marker lights, etc. built in, so you'll be custom cutting/glueing/screwing in some parts off your old one to make this work. It also uses fewer mounting flanges to attach it to the car's underbody. It is best suited for someone who likes modifying cars or needs to save money and does not need the quality and safety features of the original bumper cover, or someone who races his car and wants a lighter-weight bumper cover. After buying this I spent the $1400 M-B wanted instead to put my car back to OEM condition. Call me if interested - 330-327-1188.

To fix the broken other plastic parts, try JB Weld. I used it on a few parts that were damaged in the accident, such as the headlight assemblies and the radiator shroud, and it did the job. No problems after 6 months use /20,000 miles.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:05 AM

2000 CLK430 Cabriolet
Thanks soldbydon, for your good info.

I'm going to buy an OEM genuine MB bumper cover, after shipping, around $500-600 at a couple of places on the net. Apparently, as I have learned, the OEM covers, like my damaged one, are made of polyurethane, and are not thermoplastic. What does the mean?

Thermoplastic bumper covers are made by blowing plastic beads into a mold, then using heat to form the bumper cover. This represents about 85-90% of all OEM bumper covers. About 10% of bumper covers, typically in the high end vehicles, like MB, are made of urethane, which is two compounds poured into a mold, forming a third compound, forming the bumper cover, without heat.

Thus, thermoplastic bumpers can be repaired with heat, using a plastic welder--welder costing about $200. Urethane can also be repaired using one of these home welders, but the technique is more difficult, requiring one to float the molten urethane rods onto the bumper cover, being very careful not to liquefy the bumper cover, as urethane, not being a heat formed material, will not melt, but bubble and liquefy.

So, I have chosen to buy a new bumper cover, rather than spring for $200, and risk liquefying my way into disaster, then buying a new bumper. I don't need the suspense. My Harleys are all the suspense I need Re. motor vehicles.

I want to thank you for your kind offer, and for your good info. I'm going with OEM on the bumper cover.

Again, thanks.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:44 PM

2014 Audi Q7 SUV
W208 CLK OEM/Non OEM Bumper Cover

Good luck to you; that price sounds real good; just remember that the bumper cover from M-B has a separate intake grille (not included in bumper cover price) and there may be other components that you'll need that drive the list price as a complete assembly higher. I forget what else I had to buy but there is a parts breakdown on the MBUSA EPC site you can view online. With a 20% discount on the cover alone I think I had about $700 in it, with no shipping cost through my local dealer. But I had about $900 with the other components - such as the grille - included. Still better than $1400 list. For safety reasons if my wife weren't driving the car daily commuting 125 miles/day in heavy freeway traffic, I might have gone with the Sarona Designs cover that sits in my garage - decent lightweight alternative. It will now go on eBay -