CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Passenger side mirror - no return memory

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK 430
Passenger side mirror - no return memory

Another quick question, which is small, but nevertheless a minor annoyance when driving.

When backing up, the passenger side mirror rotates down to show the curb (or so) as it should. However, once back in drive, it moves up, but not all the way to the last position I had it in (it settles looking at the rear wheel well each time). Therefore, after each time I then drive, I have to nudge it back up to the correct place after putting it in drive...until I forget I put the car in reverse at some time, double check the mirror on the highway before changing lanes and realize I'm looking at the rear wheel well again, not the side of the car/adjacent lane portion.

Any suggestions if there is a battery which contains this position memory, etc? Or something else???

Also, it should be noted that the passenger seat motor/position memory works just fine. Hold down the position #3 button, and the seat returns to the correct programmed position...just not the mirror (the driver's seat memory works as it should as well, sans passenger mirror position of course).

Thank you!!
Old 07-14-2011, 05:33 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Once you have the passenger mirror where you want it, hit the green memory button and then your seat number. It sounds like the memory for the mirror that you have programmed is set at alower position than you want.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:52 AM

2002 CLK 430
Well, that's exactly the issue. I know about/how to program the seat position, etc (which should include the mirror position). However, even after saving the positions (seat and mirror) to a seat number setting, all positions will return to their properly saved place except for the passenger mirror. Hence my confusion and posting here.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:12 AM

1999 CLK 320 Coupe
Similar issue

I have a similar issue that may be related, although it seems to have mostly resolved itself... but not always.

When I first bought the car the passenger mirror didn't always return to the memory position after being in reverse. After a couple of weeks I noticed that when I'd hold down one of the memory preset buttons to return everything to how I set it, the passenger mirror would keep trying to move beyond the point where the little gears would allow it, making it continually jerk a little until I released the button.

In my case it seems like the mirror position is slightly off from where the car is expecting it to be and it needs to be adjusted/re-synced, but I don't know how to do that and haven't looked into taking it apart (if that's even the issue).

Does your mirror do that or does it just not move at all?
Old 07-18-2011, 11:13 AM

2002 CLK 430
Your problem seems a bit closer to mine. The mirror does move from the 'reversing position' but not back all the way to the position I have set into the memory. Seems like it sets itself to sort of a default angle (which happens to be up from where it is in reverse, but not quite high enough for me/where I sit).

It's just off because it can freely be set to the best position and set to memory - but only the seat position return to the memory position correctly.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:40 AM

2002 CLK430
Was there ever a fix for this? I have the same problem in my 02 430.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:50 AM

2002 CLK 430
Unfortunately not. Any assistance seemed to be akin to the IT Guy asking me if I had tried rebooting. Oh well...still a pain to adjust the mirror every time.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:05 PM

CLK55 / E350 Coupe
I have the same problem, I just toggle to mirror control to the driver side with does prevent it from tilting in reverse. It's not a solution, but i took it to the dealer many years back and they never figured it out, so I have just lived with it.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts
2002 CLK430
I had a somewhat similar problem ages ago. After taking apart the mirror, the solution was simple enough. Unfortunately, the only part I clearly remember is how to take the mirror apart. Hopefully, after you've disassembled the mirror, the solution is straightforward.