CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK430 Front Repair

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK430 convertible
CLK430 Front Repair

I unfortunately rear ended another car with my CLK430. I'm looking to repair the car but need direction. Here is the list of what I see is wrong:

-front bumper most likely needs to be replaced.
-Driver's side light was pushed back and is not in place anymore.
-Driver's side pump for the headlight washer is no longer connected to the reservoir.
-Engine hood received a small dent
-Grill needs to be repositioned.
-The fans in the front make noise and are not aligned correctly.
-The rollbars went up during collision and do not go down. It blocks vision so I really need it fixed. See convertible nonoperational post here.
-The cruise control has stopped working. It was working before the collision.

I've uploaded pictures to see the damage here.

I have a few questions before I start getting quotes. I plan to have the car fixed in increments.
1. Should I stay away from Duraflex bumpers? I have read mixed reviews. How much would a used OEM bumper cost?
2. Should I buy new fans or just have the whole assembly replaced? the noise is irritating.
3. Total cost? Cost per individual fix?

Please help!
Thanks in advance.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
You won't know what the costs will be till you take it apart to see EVERYTHING that is damaged and needs replacement. I would take it to a couple of body shops and get some estimates. I bet there is a lot more damage than meets the eye.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:19 AM

CLK430 convertible
Originally Posted by dlbehrns
You won't know what the costs will be till you take it apart to see EVERYTHING that is damaged and needs replacement. I would take it to a couple of body shops and get some estimates. I bet there is a lot more damage than meets the eye.
Oh ok. Solid advice. Thanks. Regarding a new bumper. What is the consensus on buying a used bumper off ebay? I'm thinking this http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-00-01-02-MERCEDES-CLK430-FRONT-BUMPER-COVER-OEM-AMG-SPORT-/400580254919?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d44719cc7&vxp=mtr.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
used, some damage, scratches, tabs broken. You get what you get. You will have to pay someone to bring it up to an acceptable appearance and function. I wouldn't buy it.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:19 PM

CLK430 convertible
used, some damage, scratches, tabs broken. You get what you get. You will have to pay someone to bring it up to an acceptable appearance and function. I wouldn't buy it.
What would be the alternative then?
Old 12-09-2013, 02:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by sdg2545
What would be the alternative then?
If it were me, I'd call my insurance agent and tell them to fix it. You could go cheap and possibly get it to look right cosmetically, but it really should be fixed right. For example, you probably compressed the struts that hold the bumper in place. If so, those are trash. If that Xenon doesn't light up, it won't be cheap. Plus the roof is jacked.

That's why insurance is there.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:58 AM

CLK430 convertible
Insurance isn't an option unfortunately. Lights work fine though.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
You have no insurance? If so you shouldn't be driving.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
Old 12-10-2013, 02:52 PM

CLK430 convertible
That isn't what I said. You're input has ceased being helpful.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
That isn't what I said. You're input has ceased being helpful.
The most helpful post told you to have the insurance cover it.

You're easily looking at well over $1k just for the front end damage you've described (with used parts and a so-so paint job), not even taking into account the damage that you don't see, and tracing the electrical problem for the cruise control and top (which will be even more difficult because of what looks to be a very poor stereo install by a bad installer who cut the harness up - seriously, who still cuts up harnesses?!).

Honestly, with the current value of these cars, they would probably just total it, which would be a huge favor to you. Take that money and buy something without all the problems.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 CLK55 AMG
Most likely the OP has a reason not to turn it in to insurance... Either, it's liability only, or there are too many points on his/her license, or too many claims on the insurance coverage. That being said... OP, as Marcus said, there's what's visible, then a whole different world of what isn't. and that's where the money comes in... You can slap a new bumper on, but it's doubtful things will line up properly, etc without proper repair. If you are dead set on it, contact LKQ or another nationwide liquidator, you're likely to get higher quality parts there.

Originally Posted by Josh K

You're easily looking at well over $1k just for the front end damage you've described (with used parts and a so-so paint job), not even taking into account the damage that you don't see, and tracing the electrical problem for the cruise control and top (which will be even more difficult because of what looks to be a very poor stereo install by a bad installer who cut the harness up - seriously, who still cuts up harnesses?!).

Honestly, with the current value of these cars, they would probably just total it, which would be a huge favor to you. Take that money and buy something without all the problems.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:45 AM

CLK430 convertible
Originally Posted by Josh K

I understand insurance would be ideal but not in my position. Long story short, I inherited the car all these problems but was still an upgrade from my old '94 Accord that was dying. I figure that if the car will last I might as well put money into it since I got it for near nothing the prices I've seen on Craiglists. Seeing how the car drives great still, I am patient enough to wait for the best prices and learn to fix what I can while I wait.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:57 AM

CLK430 convertible
Originally Posted by Scott Simoncic
Most likely the OP has a reason not to turn it in to insurance... Either, it's liability only, or there are too many points on his/her license, or too many claims on the insurance coverage. That being said... OP, as Marcus said, there's what's visible, then a whole different world of what isn't. and that's where the money comes in... You can slap a new bumper on, but it's doubtful things will line up properly, etc without proper repair. If you are dead set on it, contact LKQ or another nationwide liquidator, you're likely to get higher quality parts there.
Yeah I understand that work on these cars is expensive. Yet I understand that I am naive to what the actual cost will be or what should be the best next step. However, I figured that this community thrives on helping each other with fixit's and DYI's hence my two posts. Anyhow, what would be the alternative to buying a used bumper other than driving with a messed up bumper? I can't imagine some autobody shop bondo'ing the damage done haha. I plan on getting everything fixed eventually; first, any mechanical problems then any aesthetic problem.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 CLK55 AMG
I can't speak for everyone here, but we do absolutely thrive on helping people... You have to understand though, it's a Mercedes forum, and most people knew (somewhat) of what they were getting into buying a car that, when new was $50K plus, this was back in 99-02(3 for convertibles) when you could buy an entry zx3 Focus for about 13K flat, now that's touching the 16-17 mark, so adjust for inflation and the sum of the parts does, at least in some way justify the cost. Most fixes you find, and diy's are to help from having to take the car to the dealer for normal repairs, or diagnose issues that, on these cars can be complex compared to a more economical car. That being said, there's the difference you see between, say a civic forum and this, people here are pretty attentive to things fitting properly, whereas, in the econo-car tuning world, they are a little more forgiving when one light is pointing down, and the other up, and their JDM front end looks like it had a stroke on one side. That's a generalization of course, there are guys in that arena that do beautiful jobs on their rides. Like I said, LKQ would be a great bet for parts. Just looking at the pictures, you can clearly see the headlamp mounting header is buckled as well.. So, you're looking at hood, headlamp header, probably grill, fans, bumper, bumper shocks, possibly washer reservoir, possibly washer pump, possibly headlamp assembly (if the mounting tabs are broken on the bottom. So, the bumper may not just bolt in, you may be looking at some plumbers tape or strapping to get something to rig it up... It can be done, but the difference in cost from doing it right, to just doing it, in the end you'll spend much, much more doing it twice.

Yeah I understand that work on these cars is expensive. Yet I understand that I am naive to what the actual cost will be or what should be the best next step. However, I figured that this community thrives on helping each other with fixit's and DYI's hence my two posts. Anyhow, what would be the alternative to buying a used bumper other than driving with a messed up bumper? I can't imagine some autobody shop bondo'ing the damage done haha. I plan on getting everything fixed eventually; first, any mechanical problems then any aesthetic problem.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
01 clk 430
Originally Posted by MarcusF
If it were me, I'd call my insurance agent and tell them to fix it. You could go cheap and possibly get it to look right cosmetically, but it really should be fixed right. For example, you probably compressed the struts that hold the bumper in place. If so, those are trash. If that Xenon doesn't light up, it won't be cheap. Plus the roof is jacked.

That's why insurance is there.
Marcus, Are you referring to the foam like pads mounted to the inside of the bumper or something else? I think they may call them energy absorbers?
Old 05-01-2014, 11:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'02 CLK 320 2000 clk320
dlbehrns gave you the best advice talk to some body shops. If you're in socal there is a ton of them.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by Gundo
Marcus, Are you referring to the foam like pads mounted to the inside of the bumper or something else? I think they may call them energy absorbers?
No, not the foam. The bumper has energy absorbing shock absorbers. Manufacturers have been using them for decades.