CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

*No Sound* Coming from Radio (CLK320) (Pics) (In Need of Guidance)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 04:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK320
*No Sound* Coming from Radio (CLK320) (Pics) (In Need of Guidance)

*Please take a moment to read, I am need of help* Thank You!

Car: Mercedes CLK320
Year: 2002 Coupe

Sorry to be so in depth, but I am so I can explain to you all exactly what I did leading up to my problem..

--------------------------

Problem:There is no sound is coming from my radio, yet the displays, navigation, and CD changer still works.

Prior to the Problem: Originally, my CD Changer was not working, giving me Magazine Empty error. So I took it apart by:

1) Unmounted CD Changer from trunk bracket
2) Unplugged the two wires hooked to the assembly (the small one being the power & the large orange cable plug being the fiber optic)
3) Unscrewed screws / clips from housing, and looked inside and moved two white gears back together making them perpendicularly flush with each other, now allowing the motor to suck in the magazine holsters.
4) Assembled everything back together
5) I got to turn on the radio, and switch to the CD. It now shows CD 1 Track 1 fixing my problem! BUT, there is now ZERO sound coming from the radio. Then about 2 hrs later, I turn on my radio and it played one of the CD tracks for about 30 secs, and then went dead after wards and had no sound for the rest of the day..
6) The next day, i take the changer apart again and apply some electrical tape to some of metal that the ribbon cables (they stem from the fiber optic connection ) in fear of possibility one of the ribbon cables might come into contact with the metal and mess up. Before sticking the changer back in my car, I cleaned the lens fiber optic connecter orange plug, with an alcohol swab and then dried it with a lint free cloth gently.
7) Put everything back together just as before...still no sound

Things to Note:
1) As i was taking unplugging my power cable and fiber optic cable, as soon as they unplugged, the swung back and hit the floor and side metal walls because of the tension. This did not cause any visible fractures that I could see from about 2 inches away to the fiber optic. But maybe dirt and dust from my dirty trunk dirtied the connections which is why i cleaned them..

2) When i was taking apart the CD changer, some of the ribbon cables were sort of tugged on by accident a little hard, and I also scraped little film of white stuff of them using a sharp screwdriver, but very gently..

Current Problem & Summary: There is no audio coming from my sound system, but my radio and CD's still works, but zero sound.

(Something to Mention If it Helps: As i said no sound when i turn on the volume, but I bent down and stuck my ear right up to the speaker and heard a VERY faint cloudy static noise-it sounded exactly like AM frequency when your trying to tune in but cant get a signal.)

Pretty much, my SOUND worked perfectly before I did all this and fixed my CD changer motor..Where did I go wrong guys?

IF THIS HELPS, HERE IS AN IMAGE REPLICA OF WHAT THE INSIDE OF MY CD CHANGER LOOKED LIKE
Old 12-31-2013, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
I have no idea what's wrong, but if it were me, I'd leave the CD changer unplugged (both power and fiber cable) and check for sound again. The radio can play without the CD changer. If it still doesn't produce sound, I'd check the fuses in all three fuse boxes. A fuse that is part of the amp circuit could be blown.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:35 PM

2002 CLK320
Originally Posted by MarcusF
I have no idea what's wrong, but if it were me, I'd leave the CD changer unplugged (both power and fiber cable) and check for sound again. The radio can play without the CD changer. If it still doesn't produce sound, I'd check the fuses in all three fuse boxes. A fuse that is part of the amp circuit could be blown.
Ok, I looked at my fuse box in under my hood on the drivers side and removed 2 fuses (one was sound system & the other was radio).

My next fuse box is on the bottom of the left side of my dashboard, and i took that apart only to find that all the fuses are related to the headlights, fog lights, etc

I also found a fuse box in the trunk which had around 10 or so fuses, and none of them related to sound or the amp.

Is there another fuse box that has the amp fuse? Or was the 'sound system' fuse under my hood related to the amp?

Thanks
Old 12-31-2013, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
In the fuse box under the hood, fuses 3, 6, 7, 10, and 12 are all directly related to the sound system. In the trunk, fuses 3, 6, and 7 are also directly related to the sound system. However, I meant for you to check each fuse in each slot in all three boxes with a voltage meter. Yes, every fuse in the car. It’s a lengthy process, but it may be necessary. Why? The 2002 model uses CAN bus. The CAN bus protocol allows unrelated subsystems to share wires. If one subsystem is disabled, it is "possible" (although not likely) that an unrelated subsystem, like the amp, may not receive a signal. That’s the reason I thought it best to unplug the CD changer's power and fiber cable first and then recheck the radio. Since I don't believe in chance (such as you worked on the CD changer at the exact same time something else failed, and that something else would have failed at that exact moment whether you touched the CD changer or not), it really sounds your problem it related to your CD changer changes. Did you try unplugging the CD changer cables and checking the radio? If you did, and the head unit doesn’t produce sound, and you’ve checked every fuse in the car, and they are all good, the next step would probably be to inspect the amp to ensure it is getting power.

I would pull up the WIS and look at the wiring schematics, but it’s a busy day.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:51 PM

2002 CLK320
It now works!
I inspected my amp, and unplugged and reconnected the connector and turned on my car and the radio started to play, as well as my CD changer.

Before looking at the amp, Like you said, I tried to play my head unit radio with the CD changer unplugged, and it still gave no sound. I never operated on the head unit, just the CD changer, and also I checked the fuses on top of that. After all of that, I inspected the amp and reconnected a connection like you said, & its now working!

Thanks for the help and happy new years!
Old 03-02-2016, 11:32 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
85 911 Targa
sorry moved to W209

Last edited by DRACO; 03-02-2016 at 11:54 PM. Reason: W209
Old 03-03-2016, 05:50 PM

2002 CLK320
If any of this helped, I am glad for you. Thanks DRACO

John
Old 02-26-2017, 10:39 AM

2005 CLK320
Fiber Optic cables

If you want to permanently remove a cd changer you need to repair the FO cable circuit by getting a piece of 3/16 ID rubber tubing about 1 inch long and placing the ends of the FO cables inside so that they face each other. You will have to remove the FO cable ends from the black plastic plug connector. Just look at the plug carefully and you will see a small flange that will release the FO wires and then anothr black plastic connector with a bright blue wedge. Pull the wedge out using needle nose pliers and there you go.
Take the FO ends and stick then into the rubber tube. Should fit tight and will stay forever.
Hide the wires and you are done.
Old 12-15-2021, 03:05 PM

2001 CLK 320
Originally Posted by MarcusF
In the fuse box under the hood, fuses 3, 6, 7, 10, and 12 are all directly related to the sound system. In the trunk, fuses 3, 6, and 7 are also directly related to the sound system. However, I meant for you to check each fuse in each slot in all three boxes with a voltage meter. Yes, every fuse in the car. It’s a lengthy process, but it may be necessary. Why? The 2002 model uses CAN bus. The CAN bus protocol allows unrelated subsystems to share wires. If one subsystem is disabled, it is "possible" (although not likely) that an unrelated subsystem, like the amp, may not receive a signal. That’s the reason I thought it best to unplug the CD changer's power and fiber cable first and then recheck the radio. Since I don't believe in chance (such as you worked on the CD changer at the exact same time something else failed, and that something else would have failed at that exact moment whether you touched the CD changer or not), it really sounds your problem it related to your CD changer changes. Did you try unplugging the CD changer cables and checking the radio? If you did, and the head unit doesn’t produce sound, and you’ve checked every fuse in the car, and they are all good, the next step would probably be to inspect the amp to ensure it is getting power.

I would pull up the WIS and look at the wiring schematics, but it’s a busy day.

Hello I am having the same issue that my radio comes on, but no sound my car is 2001 CLK 320 do you recommend this as well for this year and make!