CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Problem After Springs Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem After Springs Install

Hey all,

I ordered H&R sport springs. After I had them installed today, along with my new cl style rims, I drove my clk around before I settled with the shop. There was a strange knocking/tapping sound coming from the passenger side rear wheel area. The technician says its a CV issue or something like that. He said the same thing happened with a spring install they did on another clk. They lifted my car with a hydraulic machine, accelerated and it does not make the tapping/knocking sound. Only when its on the ground being driven does it make this noise. I left the car overnight and they said they are going to check it out tomorrow morning. My friend owns the shop, so im not suspicious of the place. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-14-2004, 12:15 AM

CLK
Does the knocking tapping sound get faster when you drive faster? Are your bolts the right size? If they are too long, they will hit the parking brake and the tapping noise will get faster as you accelerate.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:54 AM

Yes, the tapping does get faster as I drive. The bolts do fit, but they could be too long, maybe they are. The technicians accelerated the car while it was up on the lift and it didnt make the noise, only when it was driving on the ground. Would that make a diffeerence on the parking brake? Is the parking brake only on the passenger side rear wheel? thanks for the reply
Old 01-14-2004, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Originally posted by austinCLK
Yes, the tapping does get faster as I drive. The bolts do fit, but they could be too long, maybe they are. The technicians accelerated the car while it was up on the lift and it didnt make the noise, only when it was driving on the ground. Would that make a diffeerence on the parking brake? Is the parking brake only on the passenger side rear wheel? thanks for the reply
if the bolts are too long, it will be hitting the parking brakes... and that is on both sides of the car...

however, if the car is lifted and the noise is gone, than it won't be the bolts issue... if it was the bolt, then you would still hear it... it happened to me, so i know...

is it possible that your tires were just rubbing against something?
Old 01-14-2004, 12:04 PM

Hmm. Do you think it could have anything to do with the suspension? Perhaps becuse of the springs install? as far as the tires rubbing agaist somthing, I dont know. I thought maybe the sticker on the tire, when they are new, was making this sound, but the sound was pretty loud. They are looking into it as I write this. This sucks, but Im trying to be optimistic.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hmm. Do you think it could have anything to do with the suspension? Perhaps becuse of the springs install? as far as the tires rubbing agaist somthing, I dont know. I thought maybe the sticker on the tire, when they are new, was making this sound, but the sound was pretty loud. They are looking into it as I write this. This sucks, but Im trying to be optimistic.
Did you order the same wheels that I have? AMG CL Wheels in 19"???

If you did, did you make sure you had installed spacers? If not, I think the wheel might be hitting the axle or something because the original offsets are something like +44. You need AT LEAST 10mm spacers... and MAKE SURE they are hubcentric.

It won't something as frivilous as stickers. If the wheels/tires are making contact with something, you (or your friend) will see it...
Old 01-14-2004, 10:55 PM

just picked up my car. turned out to be long bolt. good thing it wasnt too long. it would have messed things up. thanks for your help. It looks sweet!! I'll post pics soon. Thanks again for your replies!
Old 01-15-2004, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

just picked up my car. turned out to be long bolt. good thing it wasnt too long. it would have messed things up. thanks for your help. It looks sweet!! I'll post pics soon. Thanks again for your replies!
thats weird... if the bolt was too long, it should still be making that clicking sound...

but, regardless... glad to hear that everything was resolved. congrats!
Old 01-15-2004, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
I had this problem before. Just shaved off about 2mm of bolt and the problem was gone...
Old 01-15-2004, 08:08 PM

I have this Popping noise too...

not sure if its related to what you have, but I have koni yellows with HR Springs. Along the rear passenger wheel well, when i hit a good size bump, i would hear a pop noise. Not exactly sure where its coming from, but it doesn't happen all the time. I read it somewhere on here before also.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 01-16-2004, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: I have this Popping noise too...

Originally posted by CLK430ROB
not sure if its related to what you have, but I have koni yellows with HR Springs. Along the rear passenger wheel well, when i hit a good size bump, i would hear a pop noise. Not exactly sure where its coming from, but it doesn't happen all the time. I read it somewhere on here before also.

Thanks,
Rob
are you maybe hitting your shocks bump stops?

did you cut your springs or anything?