CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Pics and 1500 mile report on my newly Kleemannized CLK.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2002, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Originally posted by Mach430

There are 4 intercoolers that go into the Supercharger. You can see them in this picture:

Are you talking about the 4 pipes going bringing air into the S/C ?
Old 03-31-2002, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 4 pipes do not bring air into the SC, they flow water from the
front ( 4 pipes ) thru the manifold, out on the backside ( another
4 : 1 pipe ) into a radiator in the bumber, and over again.
It's a closed seperatly water to air intercooler system.
Old 03-31-2002, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Originally posted by Lucas
The 4 pipes do not bring air into the SC, they flow water from the
front ( 4 pipes ) thru the manifold, out on the backside ( another
4 : 1 pipe ) into a radiator in the bumber, and over again.
It's a closed seperatly water to air intercooler system.
Ok got it.. So in essence there is still only 1 intercooler ?
Old 03-31-2002, 10:18 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Intercooler

awiner and MACH430-

There is effectively one intercooler assembly- made up of 4 individual heat exchangers. What MACH meant to say is that once the air has passed over the intercooler it has only a short distance to travel into the engine. This short pathway reduces the time for the air to pick up any additional radiated heat from the engine. This short intake tract also keeps the throttle response very crisp- a longer intake length/volume always results in poor (slow) throttle response.

The kompressor is in the V of the engine. The four tubes you see from the top are the water passages for the intercooler. 6 liters of water is pumped in an infinite loop by a machinical water pump at 40l/min. The front mounted radiator (to cool the water back down for its next pass through the heat exchanger) is inside the front valance panel.
Old 03-31-2002, 10:31 PM

'10 E63
My friend beat me after 90 running 1.4 bar. Without his turbo timer on, I blew him away.
Hey Ben, I think you meant to say boost controller. A boost controller allows you to vary the boost. A turbo timer just allows you to leave the car running for a short period of time when you leave it to avoid coking the bearings in the turbo(s); the timer turns off the car automatically after a preset period of time.
Old 04-01-2002, 03:12 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RRange:
My mistake, it's been a long weekend.
Old 04-01-2002, 11:17 AM

'10 E63
Ben: I can tell you're frazzled from dealing with all the ramifications of installing that Kleemann system on your car. Why don't you just let me take it off your hands for, oh, half price to relieve you of the stress and aggravation?

Ronnie
Old 04-01-2002, 11:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

Ronnie, that's very kind of you, however I wouldn't want to make you have to go through the hassle of having the car shipped to you. Thanks for offering though!
Old 04-02-2002, 10:37 AM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Pics and 1500 mile report on my newly Kleemannized CLK.

Originally posted by Sleestack
I have put over 1500 miles on my CLK since I picked it up from Evosport a week and a half ago and am ready to report on my time spent with my newly Kleemanized car.

The power generated by the Kleemann SC is amazing. My car was no slouch prior to the Kleemann installation, however, the brute force with which my car hurls itself down the street now is pure speed loving decadence. Stomping down into any of the first three gears causes my wheels to briefly engage in a tasmanian spin. When the tires grip my head snaps back as the engine screams in a increasingly menacing tone. On the highway I just leave my car in 4th gear. The weight of my foot on the pedal keeps me at a mellow 80 mph cruise, however, at any moment, I can launch the car to 120 before my wife can say "slow down."

The power created by the Kleeman SC is particularly amazing because it can be both explosive or perfectly smooth and can be precisely controlled. I do have to admit that driving with the traction control off in the first 3 gears is not for the faint hearted (especially in the rain), but I have yet to feel out of control at any moment.

The only problem I'm having with the added power right now is that the combination of my 3.07 differential and the Kleemann SC is causing my car to hit the rev limiter too fast in 1st and 2nd gear. Prior to the Kleemann SC my car would occasionally hit the rev limiter too fast in 1st gear. Evosport is currently working on doing a little remapping of my ECU to stretch out my RPMs.

Although I'm sure some will remain skeptical, the Kleemann speed sensitive shocks really work. When you are just cruising along the highway the ride almost feels soft... this is despite the fact that I'm running H&R Springs and 265/30/19's in the rear and 235/35/19's up front. As I hit a turn I distinctly feel the ride stiffen up and the car almost feels as though it is urging me to take the turn faster and tighter. I was running Bilstein HDs (CLK 55 shocks) prior to the Kleemanns and am now able to take most turns significantly faster with greater stablity.

The Brembo brakes are great. They look sharp and their stopping power inspires confidence. Damn that brake dust though.

I've raced several cars in the past week. I had friends bring over a BMW Z8, BMW M5 and Honda S2000. It was really no contest. I'm sure through twisties or on a track the better handling Z8 would give me trouble, however, on the highway and through local streets my friends could not keep up. I had to harrass my friend with the Z8 out of the way so I could blow by him as we were accelerating from 70 through 125. I had a great straight line race against a Corvette Z06 tonight. He was in front of me at a light before a 1/2 mile straightaway. When the light turned red, he punched it and spun his tries a little bit which forced me to wait. As soon as he gripped, I began to accelerate but didn't punch it because I felt that I would ram into him. At about 50 mph, I moved next to him and punched it. I didn't blow by him but as we hit 80 mph I started to pull away. By the time I hit 120, I was well in front of him. At that point, I slowed down because the speed limit on that road is 45 and my turn was rapidly approaching. The Z06 was so befuddled that he followed me to see what I was driving. Eventually I saw him make a U-turn to get back on his way.

I'm taking my car to an empty lot tomorrow to do some testing.... should be fun.

Below is a link to the MBNZ.org gallery where I posted pictures of my car. I am also attaching one picture.

http://gallery.mbnz.org/gallery/show...W208_CLK_Class
sleestack

Great report! Man i'm so jealous now!
Old 04-03-2002, 02:36 AM

09 ML350
Ok a few Q's here

Sleestack-
I would like to know what kind of gains you got out of the MKB55 kit. I belive that all Kleemann cars get a dyno run before and after the upgrade, so if you had the MKB kit on I would like to know what kind of increase you got.
Please post your accleration times when you get them.
I would like to know what kind of #s the KLEEMANN CLK430 gets so if anyone has been to the drags post #s.
I am in awww of your car, I can not chose what to get for my next car a CLK430 then Kleemannize it or get a CLK55 and wait a bit and Kleemannize it, but that is far in the future (4 or 5 years).
Subman
Old 04-03-2002, 02:41 AM
Out Of Control!!

I will post my dyno from today in another thread. (CLK430 Kleemann)
Old 04-03-2002, 11:30 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Results-

MACH430 posted in another thread that he got 355 at the wheels- looks like the hypertune package puts 40+ hp into the mix. Still not sure its worth what they are asking for it but.... Always nice to have alittle more cake isnt it?
Old 04-03-2002, 01:07 PM

CLK 320
A humbling experience

So last weekend, Sleestack took me for a ride in his car, and let me just say that his car hauls like a "mother"!

Seeing his car in person was an experience. It's the most pimping CLK I've seen. From his interior mods, to his engine mods, to the exterior mods (rims, brakes, etc.), his car looked like a solid work of art.

Couple of observations:
1) I was blown away by the Kleemann speed sensitive shocks that he had. They were so smooth. At times I felt like we were riding on stock shocks, but then when he took turns or changed lanes at 100 MPH, I was reminded that we were riding on some serious sport shocks. I was skeptical of all the postings on how good the Kleemann shocks were, but I'm converted now.

2) Besides the roar of his engine when he punched the gas, I couldn't even hear the super charger. I was expecting to hear a loud whine, but it wasn't until Sleestack pointed the sound out to me that I noticed it. And even then, it wasn't easily perceptible.

Sleestack, thanks for the ride, man! It was an experience.

After getting out of his car and getting into my CLK 320, my car felt like a Honda Civic. Thanks Sleestack!
Old 04-03-2002, 01:24 PM

KLEEMANN C230K
You................................. you have the coolest ride I've ever seen (my dream is your drive to work). CL55, SL55, CLK55, all of them (in stock form, even modded it is hard to say), DO NOT HOLD A CANDLE TO YOUR CAR

I am spent, .................................. *sobbing*

John.

p.s. I saw your car at evosport on the rack- jealousy, pure jealousy

Last edited by dj-po; 04-03-2002 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-03-2002, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Results-

Originally posted by KLEEMANN
MACH430 posted in another thread that he got 355 at the wheels- looks like the hypertune package puts 40+ hp into the mix. Still not sure its worth what they are asking for it but.... Always nice to have a little more cake isnt it?
The max number Mach got on his dyno was was 355 hp at the rear wheel. The max number I got was 399 hp at the rear wheel. Thus, I believe Kleemann is correct insaying that the MKB kit accounts for 40+ hp at the rear wheel. The MKB kit is definitely not the way to go if you are looking for the best bang for the buck, however, if you have the resources it really makes a difference. If my funds were more limited I would probably combine the Kleemann kit with a 3.07 differential.

Once again, I reiterate, the money I spent on Kleemann is the best money I have ever spent (other than my wife's engagement and wedding ring of course).

I have not run any time trials yet, however, I can tell you that if you turn the traction control off and punch it, you can leave skid marks aross the entire length of a parking lot.
Old 04-03-2002, 01:55 PM
Out Of Control!

Re: Re: Results-

I can tell you that if you turn the traction control off and punch it, you can leave skid marks aross the entire length of a parking lot.
I heard from kleemann skid marks up to 3rd gear!
Old 04-03-2002, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's true.... the car can be outright violent if you want it to be.

Last edited by Sleestack; 04-03-2002 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-03-2002, 02:20 PM

09 ML350
Wow 399hp at the wheels on a CLK430 that is amazing, that MKB kit does wonders you are at almost the same hp as the Kleemann CLK55 (about 20 shy) and you have 1.1 liters less dissplacement. That is amazing. I would realy like to know what your car runs in the 1/4, and if you dont mind can you give me a ballpark on the MKB kit (you got the 55 kit correct) and did they have any problems with you getting the 55 kit even though you have a 430. Any plans on doing the 3.07 diff you would have a true super car then (well you alread do now in my book).
I wonder what kind of power a CLK55 whith the MKB kit and a Kleemann sc would put out now that would be some serious HP.
Oh I just though of this how about a 6.3 brabus V8 whith a Kleemann super charger, wow that would be awsome, all in a C coupe.
Sorry I am getting a little caried away.
Ok time to go run and get all this energy out.
Subman
Old 04-03-2002, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I already have the 3.07 differential... send me a private message and I'll give you more details on pricing of the MKB components. Keep in mind that Evosport has those compoinents available as well. I have been hoping that a CLK55 owner would do a MKB Hypertune/Kleemann SC/3.07 differential... that would be insane.
Old 04-03-2002, 05:44 PM

2000 Clk 430
"Oh I just though of this how about a 6.3 brabus V8 whith a Kleemann super charger, wow that would be awsome"

well, I drove Dan Karys 6.0 liter supercharged Renntech rocket. I believe it was pushing about 550 hp! Very fast!!!!
Old 04-03-2002, 08:15 PM

a car
I already have the 3.07 differential... send me a private message and I'll give you more details on pricing of the MKB components. Keep in mind that Evosport has those compoinents available as well. I have been hoping that a CLK55 owner would do a MKB Hypertune/Kleemann SC/3.07 differential... that would be insane.
Hey Sleestack

Does the 3.07 diff lower your top speed?
I'm no mechanic. So no flames if anyone thinks this is a dumb question.
Old 04-03-2002, 08:30 PM
Out Of Control!

Originally posted by gareeb

Hey Sleestack

Does the 3.07 diff lower your top speed?
I'm no mechanic. So no flames if anyone thinks this is a dumb question.
gareeb

I have asked the same question to Mach430(Ben) about this and he said yes! It lowers your top speed but it makes your 1/4 quicker.
Old 04-03-2002, 08:31 PM
Out Of Control!

Originally posted by Howard
"Oh I just though of this how about a 6.3 brabus V8 whith a Kleemann super charger, wow that would be awsome"

well, I drove Dan Karys 6.0 liter supercharged Renntech rocket. I believe it was pushing about 550 hp! Very fast!!!!
Don't forget NOS! :p
Old 04-03-2002, 11:21 PM

98 CLK 320/99 E430
Thumbs up

Nice looking E class Subman.
Old 04-04-2002, 01:14 PM

09 ML350
dtclk320-
Cool thank you for the complement. If you would like to see more pics look at my website, I am just makeing it so it is not the best.
-----Tom's Mercedes Web Page-----

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Pics and 1500 mile report on my newly Kleemannized CLK.