CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Locked my key in the trunk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 12:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 CLK 55 AMG
Locked my key in the trunk

D'oh! Anyway, after calling AAA, they called back to say since it's such a high security car, they might not be able to get in. The guy shows up and within 10 seconds he opens the passenger door with a coat hanger device by tugging on the inside handle. Lucky for me because of bad MB design, my backseat never latches so I was able to pull it forward and crawl through to the trunk to get my key (and turn off the loud alarm). If that seat latch wasn't defective, I would have had to tow the car to MB for a replacement key. (I don't subscribe to TeleAid.)
If there's a lesson in this, other than not locking your key in the trunk, it's to leave that backseat unlatched. You can tell by the red flag sticking up. The other lesson is that no matter how good this car is, a pro can get into it in in 10 seconds.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
Once you had the door open, couldn't you have just pulled the trunk release switch on the center console?
Old 03-09-2004, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK 320
Once you had the door open, couldn't you have just pulled the trunk release switch on the center console?

yah- what up wit dat?

Old 03-09-2004, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Originally posted by Josh K
you fool... what the hell is wrong wit you...

actually, no... if all systems are functioning correctly, it wouldn't...

if the alarm is set off, you can't remotely open the trunk...
Old 03-09-2004, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
two words TeleAid Subscriber....

Do it, its worth the money.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
two words TeleAid Subscriber....

Do it, its worth the money.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
I would definently subscribe to Tele Aide. Could some one enlighten me also, how do you get tele aide to unlock the car for you. What else can they do to the car for you?
Old 03-09-2004, 07:47 PM

S60R, ML320, W211/E350
You called their number and they remotely unlock it for you, after ofcourse verifing you are the owner of the vehicle...

so u would still need to remember not to lock your phone in their with your key
Old 03-09-2004, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Creative solution:

Call teleaid and get it on a month to month basis.

It will cost you $20 for the month -- including multiple satellite-driven unlockings for the less gifted/fortunates....

:o
Old 03-10-2004, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok, for those who are cheap and don't want to subscribe to Teleaid just for the remote unlocking...

how about you do one of the following:
1.) Keep a spare little metal key in your wallet/purse (this will open the doors/trunk)
2.) Order yourself a Wallet Key (Flat version of the regular infrared key) if you don't already have one.

If you are lame enough to lock your key & your wallet in the car/trunk, then... well, maybe you deserve to be locked out of your car...???
Old 03-10-2004, 01:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 CLK 55 AMG
Ouch, tough crowd. The truth is that I just checked out of a Hilton with a hottie I met a couple weeks ago and I was putting my stuff in my trunk when my brain stopped working again. Now, can I be excused?

In 3 years of having my car, this was the first time I would have used Tele Aid. $250 saved (first year is free.)

For people who actually want to learn something about their car instead of learning about their mouth, here's what I found out.
A) The trunk won't open if someone breaks into your car. B) Not latching your back seat isn't so bad (unless you have something valuable in your trunk). C) In our so-called high security cars, all you have to do is fish a coat hanger through the window and hook the door handle to break in.

> two words TeleAid Subscriber....
Actually, it's three words. (Tele Aid Subscriber)
Old 03-10-2004, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
> two words TeleAid Subscriber....
Whoops, I'll excuse you if you excuse me... And

C) In our so-called high security cars, all you have to do is fish a coat hanger through the window and hook the door handle to break in.
I hear that, my window warped so badly you could slip your pinky between the window and the molding without bending the window at all!!! High Security???? HAHAHA.. I hear ya man!!

Old 03-10-2004, 08:10 PM

2001 CLK430 Cab.
mmgrad -

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mmgrad
[B]
1.) Keep a spare little metal key in your wallet/purse (this will open the doors/trunk)
2.) Order yourself a Wallet Key (Flat version of the regular infrared key) if you don't already have one.

I have locked my keys in the trunk. Fortunately had another set nearby BUT I tried the little metal key and it will not unlock the trunk if the trunk and the car is locked.

I asked the local MB dealer about a Wallet Key and they advised there is no such thing. How come you can do both??
Old 03-14-2004, 11:29 AM

2001 CLK430 Cab.
What? No response to my response?
Old 03-14-2004, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
You got it!!

The flat metal wallet key is built into your regular plastic key.

Just release it; - put it into your wallet; - and you won't have to deal with Tele-Aid, MB service advisors, MB forum delayed responses.

Best of all, you can lock your ignition key in your car as often as you like... just seperate your keys and keep them seperate.

Old 03-15-2004, 01:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CLK 2001 Cab
[B]mmgrad -

Originally posted by mmgrad

I have locked my keys in the trunk. Fortunately had another set nearby BUT I tried the little metal key and it will not unlock the trunk if the trunk and the car is locked.

I asked the local MB dealer about a Wallet Key and they advised there is no such thing. How come you can do both??
Sorry, but I've been a little preoccupied lately.

This is what I suggest you do... buy or somehow get yourself another one of those little metal keys that is part of your infrared key...

I have 4 of those little metal keys, along with 3 infrared keys... 1 of those metal keys don't work for my car, BUT, it serves a GREAT PURPOSE...

Whenever i valet my car, I lock my glove compartment, and then switch the little metal key, so the valet will have the DUMMY METAL KEY... without a metal key, the valet can't hang your keys...

But anyways, if you have a spare key at home, just keep that metal key in your wallet... it will save you the trouble of getting locked out...

As for the flat wallet key, maybe your advisor just doesn't know any better... older cars were SOLD WITH THESE FLAT KEYS... i don't know why they stopped, but, according to my advisor, they can be purchased...