CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK430 failed smog

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK430
CLK430 failed smog

Hi, I have a 2002 CLK430 Convertible, 110000 miles on it (4.3l V8).
Since we bought our hybrid, it has been in a no-op condition, and recently
I wanted to reuse it after 1 yr, so it took it for smog on which the registration was contingent.
It failed.
The mechanic told me to run it on the highway at 65 for a couple of hours, which i did, but
no luck. He was kind enough to leave the diagnostic apparatus with me for a day, which displayed all systems OK with the exception of the catalytic section (dont know the exact message).
Do you think that it requires a new catalytic converter? Of is the CAT plugged and can be repaired?
Thanks,
Sid.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 712 Likes on 693 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W208 forum...
Old 12-29-2016, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Sid, what state or country did it fail in? Did it fail the sniffer or the electronics test?

Electronics failure
If it failed because the secondary O2 sensor reported the catalytic converter's efficiency was below par, that could be a problem with the cats, or it could be a problem with the O2 sensors. If they're the original O2 sensors, there is a good possibility they're dead. If the sensors are only half dead, and you're handy, the primaries can be replaced and the non-foulers can be used with the secondaries. If you're not handy, replacing the sensors, although easy, won't be cheap. Personally, I'd install $20 worth of non-foulers and retest it. BTW, no shop is going to do this for you - they'll sell you O2 sensors.

Sniffer failure
If it failed the sniffer test, that could also be due to dead O2 sensors. Dead, lean reading O2 sensors will cause the car to run rich and it will fail a sniffer test. That will also eventually result in dead cats. If the sensors are good but the cat's are dead (all the substrate material is gone), you'll need new cats. If the sensors and cats are good, it may be the injector spray pattern is bad or sticking due to the ancient gas in the line.

Price
You really shouldn't spend any money until you know what's wrong, but it never hurts to know how bad it could hurt.

The cats you use will depend on where you live - Cali is one type, 49-state is another, NY is another, and ROW is another. Like they say, location, location, location.

What's an O2 sensor cost? If you wander into your dealer I think the left front is $256 and and other three are $249 each. If you call up Pelican Parts, they'll hook you up for considerably less coinage. Tell them I sent you. The person on the phone has no idea who I am, but say it anyway. Seriously. "Marcus from the Southwest Star Magazine said to give you guys a call." If you're in SoCal, drive over there and tell the parts guy I sent you. Pelican is in Harbor City. Lastly, don't show up at 4:55 PM with a half hour list of parts. If you do, don't mention my name.

Ooops. I forgot to mention, if the car has been sitting a year and you took it for a test with year old gasoline, yeah, that may not work.

Last edited by MarcusF; 12-29-2016 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:30 AM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
R230
Seriously Marcus ?

The person on the phone has no idea who I am, but say it anyway. Seriously. "Marcus from the Southwest Star Magazine said to give you guys a call." If you're in SoCal, drive over there and tell the parts guy I sent you. Pelican is in Harbor City. Lastly, don't show up at 4:55 PM with a half hour list of parts. If you do, don't mention my name.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:18 AM

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
'97 S500 Coupe, 2016 AMG S63 Coupe, 2007 Audi Q7
He was being sarcastic, lighten up it is a New Year!!! All pertinent information is included in the response, hard to provide detailed information without enough information.