CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

is it legal to pull some1 over for tints?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is it legal to pull some1 over for tints?

FOr any of you lawyers out therE? I thought the cop needed a real reason ie: speeding or wreckless driving to pull you over. Not just for a violation. Im in New York by the way...
Old 03-31-2004, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W209
Re: is it legal to pull some1 over for tints?

Originally posted by J Lucas
FOr any of you lawyers out therE? I thought the cop needed a real reason ie: speeding or wreckless driving to pull you over. Not just for a violation. Im in New York by the way...
Im not sure about new york, but here in california, Cops pull people over left and right for tints. I was also told that if we have our windshield tinted in Calf, they can impound our cars at the spot..... . I dont even get why its illegal to have tints.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I know why its illegal. ITs because if a cop is walking up to your car and your have your windows up and they are tinted. He cant see if your aiming a shotgun at his head. At the same time if your in there raping women or killing kids in the middle of a parking lot, people need to be able to see you. Either way when a cop pulls me over the first thing I do is roll my windows all the way down...
Old 03-31-2004, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
I know why its illegal. ITs because if a cop is walking up to your car and your have your windows up and they are tinted. He cant see if your aiming a shotgun at his head. At the same time if your in there raping women or killing kids in the middle of a parking lot, people need to be able to see you. Either way when a cop pulls me over the first thing I do is roll my windows all the way down...
that, and its also a safety issue for the driver...

imagine if you're driving, and a rock hits your front window and shatters it... considering that the windows (other than the front windshield) are shatter glass, if its tinted, the tint will essentially hold the glass in place.... while that may seem good (no broken glass all inside the car) it also means there is a wall of broken glass ready to smack you in the face at any time

btw, yeah, in Cali, cops don't have anything better to do than to pull peeps over for simple fix-it violations (no front plate, loud exhaust, front tints, blue lights, etc... )
Old 03-31-2004, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry Danny
but thats not true @ all.... It might even make more sense if ALL tint was legal but since some tinting is illegal ( 70% or more visibile light). That tint would still hold your glass together if a rock somehow shattered it....

Last edited by J Lucas; 03-31-2004 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:40 PM

J its all bull**** I get pulled over all the time and its because the cops dont believe it my car WTF and think its stolen or something. here what you do plead not guilty and get a doctors note saying you have ultra sensitivity to light either with your skin or eyes. Its all bull**** and its a great way for NY to raise revenue, Bloomberg and his stupid $110 parking ticket fines are pathetic. Dont plead quilty bro thats what they tell you, dont worry its not a moving violation but insurance companies in NY look for any reasons to raise your rates so dont give them any excuse. IMO

good luck

this was a $90 seatbelt ticket but they never saw me from the front they pulled me over and then claimed it was seatbelt. Im fighting it

Sorry Danny
but thats not true @ all.... It might even make more sense if ALL tint was legal but since some tinting is illegal ( 70% or more visibile light). That tint would still hold your glass together if a rock somehow shattered it....

Last edited by lou430; 03-31-2004 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Sorry Danny
i'm not saying that the safety issue is the reason why its illegal, i'm just saying that ANY tint in the front poses a safety issue in that scenario...

I know any tint will hold the broken glass together, i'm not saying it doesn't... but in Cali... you are not allowed to have tints on front windows, period... other states allow it, but not in Cali
Old 03-31-2004, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
not sure if im reading this wrong...but don't all windshields have a plastic coating to keep broken bits of glass from flying in your face? i guess if that fails then the tint might step in?
Old 03-31-2004, 07:42 PM
Almost a Member!

G500
Red face

The main reason cops don't want you to tint windows, usually beyond 35% is FOR THEM. It was mentioned earlier that they just want to make sure as they approach your car, they are not getting a gun put to their face--you ever watch COPS?

However, to answer the question: Is it legal to pull me over for tints, seatbelts, front license plate, etc? YES. In fact, now more than ever. There are several categories of offenses: misdemeanors and felonies...in a misdemeanor, incidents and tickets are usually due to egregarious violations which threaten public safety and own well being. Police have a wide range of latitude to enforce this standard and it is very hard to fight...but if done, usually the judge favors the violator/throws out the ticket...exceptions, exceptions, exceptions, always.

Secondly, think 9-11....September 2001...The Department of Homeland Security issues several alert bulletins. You often hear Red, Amber, etc., on the news with respect to the terrorist threat level...what this means to the average MB owner is less slack depending on these violations. The reason, is that BIG BROTHER, is looking at more things to set off alarm bells. They are targeting those individuals with "little stuff" that could lead to the bigger stuff. You know when you hear those stories of some dude getting busted with a gazillion dollars of drugs in his trunk and guess what?...the cop was only pulling him over for not having his vehicle registered. If you think enforcement is tough for us MB owners...think of truckers and cargo haulers and if they get out of line. As the alert becomes hotter, more cops, more enforcement, and less window tint we can get away with. For those near major cities (New York, San Fran) even less latitude when there is a cop on every corner.

Last edited by HoosierCLK430; 03-31-2004 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:34 PM

2001 CLK-430 Black
Tint on the front windows (drivers and pass) isnt safe at night, I dont know how many stories I have heard about people pulling out in front of people on bikes, runners, walker because they couldnt see them with the tinted windows at night.

Just imagine how pissed you would be if someone clipped your kid because his windows were to dark.

I can deal with the 70% light passing tint but I know for sure that in NJ the troopers just got sick of having to argue over how dark the tint was as well as equip every car with a light meter.

It only takes a few to wreck things for everyone.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:54 PM

2001 CLK430 Cab.
If your only frame of reference regarding why tinting is illegal (beyond a certain limit) is what you are personally aware of you should just keep your opinions to yourself. Since you are obviously unaware of the issues involved in tinting, just keep quiet and don't display your ignorance.

There are so many issues involved in tinting that you should simply search them out and make yourself familiar with them. Just because you have an opinioin does not make it an intelligent one.

Last edited by CLK 2001 Cab; 04-01-2004 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:29 PM

2001 CLK-430 Black
What issues concerning tinting I am unaware of? Please enlighten me.

As to your comment about my opinion, the last time I checked this was the good old USA and we can speak freely.

Furthermore, if you don’t care for my point of view then let us discuss the facts, you might even change my stance on the issue.

It seems you are the one demonstrating how ignorant one can be.

And. . . I'm quite sure you wouldn’t like it if I took that stick from the animation in your last post and stuck it up your *** :-)
Old 04-02-2004, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLk, Your post was full of nothing. No facts, no arguments, no anything. Just an attempt to try to belittle someone. Try next time to be more positive. ThankS!
Originally posted by CLK 2001 Cab
If your only frame of reference regarding why tinting is illegal (beyond a certain limit) is what you are personally aware of you should just keep your opinions to yourself. Since you are obviously unaware of the issues involved in tinting, just keep quiet and don't display your ignorance.

There are so many issues involved in tinting that you should simply search them out and make yourself familiar with them. Just because you have an opinioin does not make it an intelligent one.
Old 04-02-2004, 05:59 PM
Almost a Member!

G500
Lightbulb

What's with all the animosity? I thought this was a board to discuss anything regarding our common interest. One reason I like this board so much is that there are a great mix of people, different economic stratas and techinical expertise, but we all are here to discuss the cars and ANYTHING related to them.

If you can't agree or don't like the post...you don't have to blame the person...use a counterpoint and show us "the light."
Old 04-03-2004, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One time I was driving in traffic on the freeway and this motorcycle cop pulled me over for tint also, totally BS. From what I remember if you remove the tint and have it signed off the fine is $10, but if you decide to keep the tint the ticket will be $70.

-Bruce