CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Clk320 208 convertible problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 03:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes 320clk
Clk320 208 convertible problems

Hello everybody
I bought a clk320 with roof not working, I have topped up the fluids replaced the relay and manually opened and closed the roof resulting in the roof now working to a certain stage: I unlatch the roof and the windows and head rests go down and the bow opens with the glass portion of the roof lowering then stops moving with main part of the roof staying flat, the pump is working for it to continue but won't and roof will close from this position.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 04-29-2017, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
When closing the roof, the final step is to manually pull down the front bow, the last 10" and lock it, which closes the roof's frame joints. Additionally, there are a pair of cables, left and right, that attach to the front bow and a point further back on the roof's frame, that are put under tension.

When opening the roof, upon unlatching the locking handle, the cable tension will release and the front bow should raise about 10" and stay in that position. This re-opens up the roof's frame joints, which are located above the passenger and driver side front windows. If the joints do not properly open, the hydraulic lift cylinders will not be able to continue opening the roof.

Over time, these cables can stretch or break.

If replacement cables are needed, the part number is 2087701865 and you'll find multiple sources that can supply the genuine MB part for less than $100.
The following users liked this post:
Ausmerc (04-30-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 05:58 PM

Mercedes 320clk
Thank you will look at that today and let you know
Old 04-30-2017, 05:01 AM

Mercedes 320clk
Thank you Serndipty
I am confident what you described is accurate, as now when I open the roof I hold the front slightly up and the roof works perfect so if this reaffirms what you are suggesting I will order that part, if there is any chance you could explain how I access this cable it would be greatly appreciated
Old 04-30-2017, 05:14 AM

Mercedes 320clk
Should I order both sides for safety?
Old 04-30-2017, 07:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Originally Posted by Ausmerc
Thank you Serndipty
I am confident what you described is accurate, as now when I open the roof I hold the front slightly up and the roof works perfect so if this reaffirms what you are suggesting I will order that part, if there is any chance you could explain how I access this cable it would be greatly appreciated
After the front bow raises and opens up the frame joints, both should stay in position. However, as the roof continues to open, when the rear bow unlocks and raises, some of the cable tension is naturally released, which tends to cause some movement of the front bow. Even when the cables are in good condition, you'll see the front bow movement as the rear bow raises. However, there is still enough cable tension to limit the downward movement and not close the folding joints.

When you held the front bow up, you prevented that from happening and the power roof worked fine.

Possibly, your cables may only be stretched.

Next time you close the roof, before pulling down the front bow and latching it, note it's position. It should be about 10" above and parallel to the top of the windshield and you'll have to pull it down with moderate force. If it's not parallel, tells you which cable is broken and/or it self drops to close to the windshield, is a measure of tension loss.

Replacement can be a done DIY and if you determine replacements are necessary, do it once and replace both cables.

See post #7 at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/c208...fixed-1-a.html or thread at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/c208...placement.html
Ausmerc (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 08:48 AM

Mercedes 320clk
Thank you again, when I close the roof both sides are slightly off center and everything you explained is happening so will order both sides now and replace them, will let you know when they have arrived and have replaced them on success. I would just like to thank you for all your help without it I would have been scratching my head and drinking too much trying to work it out on my own.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:44 AM

Mercedes 320clk
Sorry to bother you again but when I open and close the roof I have a small amount of hydraulic fluid on my boot lid obviously from the rear lid before I pull it apart is there a simple explanation and solution?
Many thanks
Old 05-05-2017, 07:54 AM

Mercedes 320clk
This has only started happening since I manually released the top and opened and closed it, could I possibly have over pressurized the system or not put the rear lid or rear bow star key back to its right position
Old 05-05-2017, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Originally Posted by Ausmerc
Sorry to bother you again but when I open and close the roof I have a small amount of hydraulic fluid on my boot lid obviously from the rear lid before I pull it apart is there a simple explanation and solution?
Many thanks
When the soft top compartment opens, it's vertically positioned over trunk (a.k.a. boot). If a hydraulic cylinder, associated with the soft top cover has leaked, gravity will cause any leaked fluid to drip onto the trunk lid.

The usual culprit is the rear bow lock cylinder, but it could also be the case cover lift cylinder.

For more information see https://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/en/...benz-a208-info

Top Hydraulics is a forum sponsor, has earned awesome reviews (i.e. globally) and can economically rebuild any of the soft top hydraulic components.

To further troubleshoot, open your soft top cover, remove the decorative carpet (e.g. shown on page 16 in the following link) and inspect the aforementioned cylinders and/or their connectors, for leakage.

http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/W208...eplacement.pdf

Fortunately, of the 8 cylinders used within the power roof system, these are the easiest to replace.

Provided that reduced the hydraulic system pressure, by turning the pressure relief screw, opening/closing the roof manually, would not be a problem.

BTW, by far, the case cover and rear bow cylinders, with age, commonly develop leaks and entirely coincidental along with your tension cable needing replacement, as well. However, case cover cylinder leakage would not spill onto the trunk lid.

Last edited by Serndipity; 05-05-2017 at 11:34 AM.
Ausmerc (05-06-2017)