CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Roll bar/rear head rest problem !!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK convertible Avante Garde
Question Roll bar/rear head rest problem !!!

Hi all newbie here
my rollbar/ rear headrests were stuck in the up position.this seems to be a common fault !!! We took the back seats out and done as suggested and managed to get them back down.we then manually put the soft top over and it is locked in place at the front.
the problem I have now is the rear cover that the soft top folds into will now not close properly and the soft top won't sit in the clip and lock 🤔
Until this is solved I cannot use the soft top and it is not water tight.I love my car.she is an old girl (17 years ) a bit like her owner 😂 ( I am older than 17 !!) Any help will be most appreciated...
Old 05-26-2017, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
If I'm following what you're saying correctly, your soft top compartment cover is not properly closed and locked and this is preventing/obstructing your rear bow clip from entering the compartment cover and being locked.

If so, the compartment cover lock may have become inadvertently locked while you were working on the roll bar issue.

In that case, you can manually open and/or close the lock, as detailed in the 'practical hints section' of your owner's manual.

After your roof is fully closed, your power roof may or may not operate normally (don't forget to turn back the pressure relief screw before attempting).

If not, you may need to resynch the system, by doing the entire procedure (e.g. by fully manually opening and then closing the roof).
The following users liked this post:
kez27 (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 10:51 AM

Thanks Serndipity for your input.The roof is now all locked down and secure
Next question (and probably not the last !!! ) how do i reset everything to get it back in synch please ???? will taking the battery off be enough....

Last edited by kez27; 05-26-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
kez27

Sorry if the last sentence in my prior post wasn't clear.

You reset the power roof by manually opening and then closing the roof.

This synchronizes all the position/limit switches and locks.

The detailed procedure is explained in the 'practical hints section' of your owner's manual.

Don't forget to restore full hydraulic system pressure, by turning back the pressure relief screw, before attempting power roof operation.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:46 AM

good afternoon guys.have followed your procedure to the letter but still no joy any more advice would be very gratefully received......
Old 06-10-2017, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
kez27.....need more information.

So far we're only got your soft top properly closed due to your soft top compartment cover being inadvertently locked while you were working on the roll bar issue.

Did your roll-bar raise, requiring it to be manually lowered, because of a pending crash deployment, which could occur due to deep pot hole, riding over a curb etc., or by the hydraulic system (e.g for no apparent reason)?

Are you seeing continuous / blinking lamps on either the main power soft top switch or roll-bar switches.

If crash deployment, upon lower in RB fully (e.g. until it clicked) manually, you should be good to go.

If a malfunction in the hydraulics caused the RB to raise to a point, where the procedure to lower the RB described in the user manual did not work, further troubleshooting is necessary (e.g. typically with the RB value (Y57) or RB retracted postiion switch S83/5).

You're profile is incomplete, but here in NA, the remedy is only to replace the entire RB assembly, at $$$$$$$ (hint: way more than you're W208 is worth), because individual RB components for the W208 are not available.

That's true, but yet not sure, as any hydraulic components can be rebuild by TopHydraulics and the exact same switches are sold on other MB models.....go figure.

As example.....read https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...ps-go-bad.html and https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...r-problem.html

Last edited by Serndipity; 06-11-2017 at 08:15 AM. Reason: add another link
Old 06-14-2017, 11:41 AM

serndipity im so glad i have you !!! lol
right story so far.i put the roof down via the button and then placed the rear headrests/rollbar in the up position as i had the grandkids in the back.
when it came to putting the roll bar back down it wouldnt move.
i then followed your procedure to manually lower the bar and close the top back down.at the time we couldnt clip the roof back.this is now clicked into place at the soft top but not the on the inside clip that is behind the headrests.
we have put a diagnostic machine on the car but it didnt have a "comfort " setting so it wouldnt show any faults on it

The weather has taken a turn for the better.very rare here in the UK. im missing the fresh air and wind blowing my hair lol.
what do i need to complete my profile.im really sorry to be so vague and blonde.I just drive the car................
Old 06-15-2017, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Read this thread http://www.benzworld.org/forums/c208...-top-wont.html and in particular post #14.