CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Help W208 clk 320 convertible transmission

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes 2000 clk320
Help W208 clk 320 convertible transmission

I've been using my car without a transmission cap. new to Mercedes so I bought fluid cap When the car is cold
Park
Drive
New transmission cap but I didn't have it when I was using the car
1 hour after turn off
My transmission tube is blowing out white smoke when I step on the gas pedal. I bought the transmission dipstick because maybe i was low on fluid but I'm not too sure how to read it. I've seen videos but mines is confusing. So when the car is cold I put the dipstick to check the fluid level, it covers the black plastic. after I warm up the car for 30 minutes, I measure the level and it's at 25'c high mark. Then when the car is on drive with the ebreak, I measured the transmission tube and it was half of the black plastic on the dipstick. When I turn off the car it shows the middle of 80'c normal.
My car shifts great, I don't think I have a problem with that.

Last edited by Angel.r; 06-17-2017 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:35 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
-
You measure the fluid when it's fully warmed up, with the engine running, and the transmission in PARK.

Fully warmed up transmission fluid doesn't mean the coolant temperature gauge hitting 80 degrees. Transmission fluid takes quite a bit more time to warm up to operating temperature than engine coolant. I'd measure it after at least an hour's worth of driving.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:33 AM

Mercedes 2000 clk320
Thank you for the response

Ohh okay got you but
is the smoke coming out of there normal since I haven't use it for one month straight just sitting in my drive way. Or do I have to put in fluid the car has 150xxx miles on it I don't think nobody Change the "fluid for life"
Old 06-18-2017, 05:35 AM

Mercedes 2000 clk320
Originally Posted by shadenfroh
You measure the fluid when it's fully warmed up, with the engine running, and the transmission in PARK.

Fully warmed up transmission fluid doesn't mean the coolant temperature gauge hitting 80 degrees. Transmission fluid takes quite a bit more time to warm up to operating temperature than engine coolant. I'd measure it after at least an hour's worth of driving.
thanks for the response
Old 06-18-2017, 06:09 AM

-
I'm not qualified or knowledgeable enough to answer your question about smoke coming out, but I think it's not normal.

Regarding changing the fluid - it's never too early to do it Especially after you've run the car with the cap off and some dirt might have made its way in. Just make sure to get the proper 236.14 fluid.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:50 AM

Mercedes 2000 clk320
I'm not qualified or knowledgeable enough to answer your question about smoke coming out, but I think it's not normal.

Regarding changing the fluid - it's never too early to do it Especially after you've run the car with the cap off and some dirt might have made its way in. Just make sure to get the proper 236.14 fluid.
I got into a accident march 21 car been sitting in my drive way because my front bumper broke so I had to wait until the new front bumper now that it's ready I noticed the smoke coming out of the tube
since you said it's normal and the fluid isn't dark brown I'm guessing it's okay do you know a way or step in picture to changing the transmission fliter and does it take a gasket or sealant
Old 06-18-2017, 07:16 AM

-
I said I think it's not normal!

The transmission pan uses a gasket, and it's not reuseable. If you're really set on not changing the fluid, theoretically you can even reuse what you drain out, I'm not going to tell you not to do it. To replace the filter, you need to drop the pan and drain roughly half the transmission fluid, the other half is in the torque converter, which doesn't have a drain plug on our cars.

If you have the slightest doubt that you can maintain surgical cleanliness and strictly follow the WIS instructions to change the fluid, filter, gasket, and TCU connector, take it to a reputable shop and save yourself from making a costly mistake.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:12 AM

Mercedes 2000 clk320
I said I think it's not normal!

The transmission pan uses a gasket, and it's not reuseable. If you're really set on not changing the fluid, theoretically you can even reuse what you drain out, I'm not going to tell you not to do it. To replace the filter, you need to drop the pan and drain roughly half the transmission fluid, the other half is in the torque converter, which doesn't have a drain plug on our cars.

If you have the slightest doubt that you can maintain surgical cleanliness and strictly follow the WIS instructions to change the fluid, filter, gasket, and TCU connector, take it to a reputable shop and save yourself from making a costly mistake.
ohh okay sorry read wrong but can I use my car like nothing is wrong
Old 06-18-2017, 08:20 AM

-
When you think about the possible consequences, I'd say it's not a wise thing to do. Most people drive like nothing is wrong until they need a rebuild. You can search the forum and find out how much a transmission rebuild costs.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 716 Likes on 697 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W208 forum...
Old 06-18-2017, 05:44 PM

Mercedes 2000 clk320
When you think about the possible consequences, I'd say it's not a wise thing to do. Most people drive like nothing is wrong until they need a rebuild. You can search the forum and find out how much a transmission rebuild costs.
so what would you do change th fluid
have you ever heard smoke coming out of the transmission tube
Old 06-18-2017, 05:46 PM

Mercedes 2000 clk320
Originally Posted by MJ50
moved to W208 forum...
Thank you but I have spend hours trying to look for something relevant but no luck that's why I made my own post
Old 06-18-2017, 09:37 PM

Mercedes 2000 clk320
so I ran my for 2hs ran great my shifts were on point
I put the transmission on drive and I measured the fluid it was half way of the black plastic
im guess I should add some any idea
Old 06-19-2017, 04:59 AM

-
I've never heard of smoke coming out of the fill tube.

If after two hours the fluid is not between the 80 deg. marks, you should add some. Did you drive it for two hours or did you just leave the engine running?

If you go to a shop that offers you to do a power flush (meaning they hook up a machine that pumps cleaning chemicals under pressure), do not do it. Here's the procedure for doing a transmission fluid flush:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
722.6 Fluid Flush.pdf (271.8 KB, 96 views)
Old 06-19-2017, 07:00 AM

Mercedes 2000 clk320
I've never heard of smoke coming out of the fill tube.

If after two hours the fluid is not between the 80 deg. marks, you should add some. Did you drive it for two hours or did you just leave the engine running?

If you go to a shop that offers you to do a power flush (meaning they hook up a machine that pumps cleaning chemicals under pressure), do not do it. Here's the procedure for doing a transmission fluid flush:
thank you you for replying
i was using my car for 2 hours going back and foward
I don't want to over fill the transmission
how much should I add
Old 06-19-2017, 07:28 AM

-
Originally Posted by Angel.r
the fluid it was half way of the black plastic
Between the two marks for 80 degrees it's about 1/2 litre difference. 1 quart is about 0.94 litre, so close enough. Add something like 1/10th of a quart at a time, drive around a bit and recheck, as pumping out fluid is a pain in the butt...
Old 06-20-2017, 12:24 AM

Mercedes 2000 clk320
Between the two marks for 80 degrees it's about 1/2 litre difference. 1 quart is about 0.94 litre, so close enough. Add something like 1/10th of a quart at a time, drive around a bit and recheck, as pumping out fluid is a pain in the butt...
should the transmission be on park or drive with ebreak
Old 06-20-2017, 02:33 AM

-
Originally Posted by Angel.r
should the transmission be on park or drive with ebreak
That's the very first bit of information I put in this thread.