CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

DVD / Navi Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD / Navi Question

I am looking to put in a DVD/ Navigation system into my CLK 430.. Any suggestions? Are the flip screen ones no good, or very hard to install. I was looking at some earlier posts, and some of you guys were saying that you liked the ones that were flush to the dashboard.

I was looking at the Pioneer AVIC-N1. It runs about $2,000. Should I be looking at something else? Is this something I can install myself?
Old 05-04-2004, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The pioneer AVIC-N1 unit is VERY NICE. Whether you like an in dash unit or flush mounted unit is YOUR PERSONAL PREFERENCE. I think that pioneer unit is the best unit out there right now. For me it would only be a choice between pioneer and alpine... Kenwood and eclipse also have two good units but im not a fan of either companys mobile products...
Old 05-04-2004, 11:18 PM

S60R, ML320, W211/E350
I have the Kenwood unit. everything is great about it, except the navi. Good luck trying to find a POI location. I can't even find a Best Buy.....

mmgrad just got the new Eclipse unit in his car, I have not seen it, but he is telling me that thing is great. So I am planning on changing my setup to an Eclipse system...

I use to have Alpine navi and I love that unit. Works perfect, precise, and clear.

Kenwood does not have a very good navigation system...
Old 05-04-2004, 11:23 PM

I'm getting the eclipse avn2454 DVD/NAV. I think thats the best one out right now if you don't like the flip outs.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:52 AM
Almost a Member!

Mercedes CLK
I have the Kenwood

If you click here you will see my previous post about this subject. I even have photos of the unit in my car.

I've installed the Kenwood unit, and absolutely LOVE IT. I had an Alpine in my BMW, which I loved as well, but I think the sound is even cleaner on this one (which I thought would be hard to do, because I'm a HUGE Alpine fan).

I do have to agree that some of the POI need to be updated (which I understand Kenwood is about to do with a new DVD), but it's hard to get everything into one DVD I guess. As long as it gets me to the right place, that's what is important to me. All the available options are the greatest selling points to me (HD Radio, local TV Channel Tunner, Satellite radio, Weather Channel Tuner, Hard Drive for music, CD changer that plays MP3's, etc...).

I love it!
Old 05-05-2004, 08:53 AM

CLK
I love that Pioneer AVIC-N1 myself.

I haven't gotten it yet but does anyone know if that is going to interfere with the steering control of your MB radio/cdc unit??

It would be nice if I can still have all the functions that I already have.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:24 AM

CLK
I love that Pioneer AVIC-N1 myself.

I haven't gotten it yet but does anyone know if that is going to interfere with the steering control of your MB radio/cdc unit??

It would be nice if I can still have all the functions that I already have.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:16 AM

2001 CLK 320
I have the Alpine flip-out as I wanted to retain my steering wheel controls + existing head unit/changer operation (this may change down the road).

The navigation is excellent; 2 DVDs (east coast + west coast) with a huge amount of POIs.

...an unexpected bonus is that people usually go ape-shiz when they see it extract/retract.

Check this thread for pix:

Alpine Nav Thread
Old 05-05-2004, 07:42 PM

cscordo > nice setup of Alpine system. Does your factory cd changer still work with the Alpine ? How is the setup?
Old 05-05-2004, 10:52 PM

2001 CLK 320
papiwithabenz:

Thanks- right now, I have the navigation completely isolated from the rest of the audio components.

In other words, the Alpine monitor works directly with the DVD navigation, while audio is handled by the MB components. (I had issues with losing the steering wheel controls and the MB cd changer). Also, I didn't want to lose the extra slot in the dash by putting a fixed screen.

I use the navi for about 25% of my travels these days, so its nice to conceal it when not in use.

I may decide to go full-Alpine down the road- in which case I'll get the cd-changer/XM/etc. to hook up to the monitor...
Old 05-06-2004, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
i had the avhp7480dvd with the avic 90 navi and a 12 disc pioneer cd changer in my w202 and i took it out before i traded it in on a w208. i contacted pioneer and crutchfield to see if i would still be able to use the steering wheel buttons with that setup and both said no. they said that some company was working on an interface just like alpine has to use with the newer models that allows the steering wheel buttons to still be functional, but def not my models. i suggest emailing pioneer and see what they say about your model.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:03 PM

Install

Do you guys have any idea what sort of money I would be shelling out for the install on the Pioneer unit.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2-250
Old 05-06-2004, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
my shop charged me $125 to install the in dash screen/dvd player and the brain and 12 disc cd changer in the trunk
Old 05-06-2004, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

what shop is that in nyc?