CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Radio Woes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 07:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK 320 convertible
Radio Woes

Car is a 2003 CLK320 Cabriolet with the Bose radio and a CD changer in the trunk.

Last week on a trip the display on the radio died, It just went away. You can still turn the radio on and off with the on/off switch on the radio face. You can tune the radio stations manually with the buttons on the radio, you can play cassettes and CD, In fact everything works except you are doing everything blind. While the radio is on or off you can use the buttons on the steering wheel to go to the audio section and it shows the radio is off even when it's on. The volume control buttons on the steering wheel work. I hope all that is a clear description of the problem I'm experiencing. Everything else, non-radio related, on the steering wheels controls functions as normal.

What's the consensus? Can the radio be repaired or should I just replace it.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
The radio was obsolete when new. 15 years later it's really time to replace it. I replaced mine a long time ago. A new head unit with Android Auto or Apple car play will make you realize just how old the OE tech was. Head unit swaps can retain the multifunction steering wheel controls and the Bose amps/speakers.
The following users liked this post:
jinark (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 09:55 AM

2003 CLK 320 convertible
Originally Posted by MarcusF
The radio was obsolete when new. 15 years later it's really time to replace it. I replaced mine a long time ago. A new head unit with Android Auto or Apple car play will make you realize just how old the OE tech was. Head unit swaps can retain the multifunction steering wheel controls and the Bose amps/speakers.
Thanks Marcus. I'm leaning toward exactly what you suggest, but before I do I'm wondering if the problem is in the radio itself or if the non display is just a symptom of something wrong elsewhere in the car's electronics.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
If I had to guess, I'd say the radio itself. To know for sure you'd have to run diagnostics on the radio, or swap a known working unit in its place. The radio sends a signal to the TFT in the dash. I don't know of any other place in the car that's involved in the head unit display.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:03 PM

2003 CLK 320 convertible
If I had to guess, I'd say the radio itself. To know for sure you'd have to run diagnostics on the radio, or swap a known working unit in its place. The radio sends a signal to the TFT in the dash. I don't know of any other place in the car that's involved in the head unit display.
Thanks again. That's pretty much what I'm thinking as well. I checked more today and the volume and station change button on the steering wheel work when the audio option is on the central display beside the speedometer and it says the radio is off. . I hardly ever use the steering wheel control for the radio except for volume so even if it goes away it's no big deal. Rather than fiddle around with another OEM unit, I just ordered a new unit from Crutchfield along with the package of all the adaptors to properly fit the electrical plugs, the antenna cable , run the Bose amp and connect to the steering wheel controls. I guess one plus is I get rid of my added in aux jack in favor of one build into the radio itself. That and I can stick a CD in the slot and not have to go to the boot to load the thing.

I assume the changer will become redundant and can be removed.

Last edited by jinark; 07-10-2018 at 02:05 PM. Reason: adding text
Old 07-11-2018, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
This covers just about everything
The following users liked this post:
jinark (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 10:34 AM

2003 CLK 320 convertible
That's helpful, thanks.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:14 PM

2003 CLK 320 convertible
Before replacing it I decided to take the radio out of the car and look at it closely. Nothing seemed amiss, all three factory multiplugs the cable to the disc changer, and the antenna; all were tight and properly seated I pulled the unit and then reinstalled it. Now it works again. Who knows why or how it quit and then healed itself. Anyway, I'll replace it if it dies again, For now I'm satisfied, since all I listen to is FM and the MP3 player I installed the aftermarket aux input jack for years ago.

Thanks again for the help though.