CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Suspension--frustrated (long, sorry))

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
Suspension--frustrated (long, sorry))

03 430 Cab. 4th V8 cab, and I've been doing this for many years, so not a newbie. I'm so frustrated with this one I could scream. H&R, Koni adjustables, 18 " Brabus Mono V's with SO3 PP. I just cannot seem to get the thing right. It has SO much motion that it's just tiring to drive. My guess is that the SO '3's are about gone (12k), and this is adding to the equation. I guess I'm going to slap on a set of Pilot 2's, and I think that will help the tracking. SO's are all over the place when they're worn, right? Lots of hunting and nervousness in going down the road. Also, the car has way too much going on on the vertical axis. I can't tell for sure--I think maybe I've got too much spring? I can't tell if I'm oversprung and underdamped, or overdamped and under sprung. I'm not a Koni fan, but bought them at everyone's suggestion here. Sure wish I has bought the Bilsteins instead. But they're on the car and I guess they'll stay....but wondering, do any of you guys know about the spring rates on the H&R's? I've used them in the past with good results, even on 208's. But this setup just ain't happening. Who is using another brand of spring--Brabus, Renntech, Eibach, what--on a Cab? The ride quality is just awful. I don't expect it to ride like my 740 or an S class, but as a reference, my previous M3's and even Carerras were light years more pleasant to drive than this. One other thought, this is the second Cab I've used this spring set on. They have a total of about 10k miles--think they're shot already? The guys at H&R have been unable to provide any insight past a shoulder shrug. Someone got some input/help? Thanks in advance...
Old 05-31-2004, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car is dropped on eibach and koni's and i think my ride quality sounds the same as yours. Its confused somehow. I dont know if the shop set the settings equal or backwards or what. Im just kicking myself in the *** that I didnt buy that kleeman suspension from lou when he was selling. Im so upset you dont even know...
Old 05-31-2004, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Used to be a CLK430
Sorry you guys are having so many issues, this will stop me from doing any mods to mine.

Check with mmgrad, he has the Brabus suspension, and from what I can tell he is very happy. Also, Ben @ Evosport might be able to shed some light on your issues.
Old 05-31-2004, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
Unfortunately, ...

I relied on Ben's opinion in getting the Konis, he's knowledgable and well respected here.....probably they just work better in Socal, but I think I would have been much happier with the Bilsteins. I would like to know if anyone has the Brabus or other quality brand of springs..I really think that's the problem, that the car is oversprung. But don't know how to fix it! Help?...
Old 06-01-2004, 04:04 PM

I have a stock Cab and I haven't mod the suspensions. But from what I can tell is that the body isn't as nearly as stiff as the hardtops.

I get a lot of body shuttering. That makes the car a little tiring to drive. Whenever i go over bumps or pot holes the steering wheel jerks a little.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
I have Eibach Springs and Konis and haven't had ride quality issues (on 19" wheels). Make sure your Konis are set to the softest setting if you want a softer ride.

If you're getting a lot of bump steer issues you should replace the steering shock. It's cheap to do and tightens up the steering considerably if the one you have is really worn.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What are your Koni's set to?
Old 06-01-2004, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Middle. I don't think....

that either direction would make much difference, but I may be wrong. Again, the issue here is not so much ride quality...as control. There is so much going on on the vertical axis. I"m beginning to think that another spring set may be the answer, but I don't think it's going to be that much of an answer. I wonder if the H&R's have outlived their usefulness at 10-12k miles, but what brand to go back with? And thanks josh, but the car only has 7 k miles, steering damper shouldn't be an issue. Bump steer really isn't a problem anyway.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
AMG
I am going to try the AMG euro-spec springs with stock AMG dampers on my '02 CLK55. I realize it's not a cabrio, but I will post results after the completion of the install. I anticipate about a 1" drop with no adverse affect in handling.

Perhaps using AMG euro-spec parts will solve any issues on your CLK430 cab?
Old 06-02-2004, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's a good thought....

and one I had considered. I also had this thought...perhpas the OE springs, with the shortest buffers, in conjunction with the Kon's on soft....might get back to closer to OE ride wquality, but not that ridiculous OE ride height. The OE springs seem to work fine with the short buffers, but the OE shocks are working so hard when they are compressed that much. Maybe that will work...Chappy, listening out. Thanks...
Old 06-02-2004, 08:24 PM

Re: That's a good thought....

Originally posted by allenjdmb
and one I had considered. I also had this thought...perhpas the OE springs, with the shortest buffers, in conjunction with the Kon's on soft....might get back to closer to OE ride wquality, but not that ridiculous OE ride height. The OE springs seem to work fine with the short buffers, but the OE shocks are working so hard when they are compressed that much. Maybe that will work...Chappy, listening out. Thanks...
Pardon me... since you said your car had a lot of vertical motion isn't that a sign of under dampping? Are those motion more like bounces? If so I would think setting the shocks to hardest would be better.

Let me know the result.. i am in the market for a set of springs and shocks as well.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Re: That's a good thought....

We can talk more about this at dinner next Thursday, if you can make it.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You're prolly right....

but my guess is that the shocks are working so hard to control the motion because the spring rate is way too high. If they are constantly "overworking", I'm wondering again if this spring set isn't just worn out. Anyone got the part #'s for the AMG euro spring set and a source? And yes, hop I can see you guys next week. no mexican though, too much of a stressed tank!
Old 06-03-2004, 11:33 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1. Before purchasing another suspension you should determine what dampening level your shocks are set to; and if they are even F/R.

2. If the springs are worn out, which H&R's do not do, they would not then become over-sprung. A worn out spring loses strength, not gains it.

3. Dampeners dampen the work of the springs. If you think the car is over sprung, you should first check your shocks. Do any of them have greasy-dirt (not dry dirt) accumulating on them?

4. If you think you should have purchased the Bilsteins, then your Koni's are not set stiff enough.

My guess is that the shocks are either not set stiff enough, or one/more of them has begun to fail. Both H&R and Koni have lifetime warranties if purchased & installed by authorized dealers. You may need to pursue this option.

Thanks,

Ben
Old 06-05-2004, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Weellll....

Few things...

1. Yes, the front and rears are both on the medium setting. I agree, I need to experiment with a different setting.

2. I somewhat agree with you here, but not completely. "Worn out" is probably a bad choice of words. Not as effective as new would be a better term. I've been selling and installing aftermarket springs for close to 20 years, and while "worn out" isn't a good word choice, they definetely do need replacing from time to time. I've seen cars completely transformed by installing a new spring set out of the box to an existing setup. While I agree that a worn out spring loses strength instead of gaining it, I have found that by changing the compression points (that is, is the spring working at a stiffer/lower point), it also changes the dynamics of the entire suspension. This is why changing the spring pads for substantial lowering on MB cars usually gives lousy results in terms of handling and ride quality--the springs and shocks are operating at a different level of compression while simply riding down the road. It feels as if my car is riding at the lower portion of the spring travel now. Assuming these are progressive rate springs, as most street/cosmetic applications are, then they are operating at a place that is stiffer, and negatively affecting my ride quality. And no, I don't expect any help from H&R. I think Roland is a good guy, but this is one of those situations that there is no good result for. And since they don't offer or suggest a shock absorber for a 208, they ain't much help there. Remember, these are the same folks who couldn't even internally agree on what application was the right one when I bought them. V8, V6, convertible, wait, there's more than one W208?...

3. The shocks have about 500 miles on them. Not the problem.

4. It is not just the stiffness of the shock absorber that makes it desirable/undesirable, it is how it works in concert with the other pieces. I had hoped that the ride quality I had experienced with Koni's in the past had changed. Although any Bilstien may or may not be stiffer, they just absorb impacts in a way that no other shock absorber does, at least on German cars. That's the reason I wish I had used them.

I have to say again that I also think I need to get these SO 3's gone. They seem to be quite unhappy when they get some miles on them. Any darting or hunting is certainly going to make the suspension work harder. Thanks for the input. I still haven't heard from anyone who has onther brands of springs. In a perfect world, I'd take something just a hair stiffer that stock, with about 25 MM lower ride height.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Re: Weellll....

Thanks for the input. I still haven't heard from anyone who has onther brands of springs. In a perfect world, I'd take something just a hair stiffer that stock, with about 25 MM lower ride height.
Did you check your PM?
Old 06-05-2004, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Looking....but

I don't see any....
Old 06-05-2004, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Re: Looking....but

I don't see any....

Re-sent via your e-mail. If you did not receive, PM me your e-mail and I'll send direct
Old 06-08-2004, 03:22 PM

Re: Weellll....

... I think Roland is a good guy, but this is one of those situations that there is no good result for. And since they don't offer or suggest a shock absorber for a 208, they ain't much help there. Remember, these are the same folks who couldn't even internally agree on what application was the right one when I bought them. V8, V6, convertible, wait, there's more than one W208?...
Isn't there a spring set just for the 430 cab? I thought i saw on a few sites that they offered coup springs and cab springs sets.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yes, they do now, but..

for a while they couldn't agree on what was the right part number for coupes and cabs, and that there was even a difference. I ended up with a set of springs from The Rack that had a coupe part number, theirt H&R guide showed to be the right one, then turned out not to be. Just saying that maybe there's not that much engineering going on there....I'm thinking this is why I should move to an MB tuner brand...