CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK suspension/tires/wheels nightmare

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 07:39 PM
TNH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK suspension/tires/wheels nightmare

Ok, it all started when I put my 19" fabulous profound on my CLK that was dropped with an H&R cup kit and #1 pads all the way around. It sat all lopsided, even though it had the same pads all the way around. I was told it would take some time for the springs to settle, and eventually clearance would be the same on all wheelwells.....it never really did, even after 1000 miles.

Then, I had a tire blowout on me, and I went offroading for a bit.....wrecking all four of my wheels and three tires. I bought 4 new tires and 4 used i-forged from a member on this forum. I had them mounted and they sat in my garage for a month. I finally put them on the other day, and I ran over some damned wrench on the road, and destroyed my new $345 tire. I got another one and had it mounted today, so that problem is solved....

BUT.....I am still back to my lopsided problem and my messed up camber. When I went offroading that one time, I know it messed up my alignment. The rear driver side wheel has major camber to it, and the passenger side does not. So now I have the original lopsided clearance issue, AND some serious camber troubles. This is really pissing me off. The driver front is so damn low, and I think I have the highest number pad in it right now. Something is really off.
Old 06-18-2004, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
I couldn't take it......I'd start over. Do you have the stock wheels and suspension?
Old 06-18-2004, 08:22 PM
TNH

Yep. I might switch it all back to stock and sell the car. I'm not sure though, I love the CLK, but I don't want to deal with this right now.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
Sounds like you may have...

the wrong spring set or pehaps some shocks that are absolutely worn out. Remember, the H&R springs have different numbers for 6 cyl and 8 cyl, and coupe and cab.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

WHY THE **** WOULD YOU GO OFFROADING WITH A CLK???
Old 06-19-2004, 12:16 AM
TNH

The cup kit is a matched set of shocks and springs, and I got them brand new.

I went offroading on accident when my tire blew out on me. It sent me swerving off into the bumpy dirt shoulder at about 70mph.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
Unless there's a new number,

H&R does not offer a kit with matched shocks for the W208. Springs only. Check the part numbers on your spring kit against the H&R web page. It's on the side of your box, and on the spring itself. Maybe this is the nature of your problem?
Old 06-19-2004, 09:44 AM

2006 E55 & 2009 Audi S5
I'm with Chappy, I'd go back to the stock stuff. I'm sure you did, but if not, I'd call the manufacturer and see about returning it. They may have screwed up and sent you some wrong parts or something. At an rate it's not working on your car so it's trash.
Sorry to hear about you problems and frustration bit it seems it should be at the new parts and not the car.
Did you do the install yourself or have it done?
I'dlove to lower mine a little but worried about having the same problem.
I may let Chappy be the lab rat and see how his turns out and then do mine if it's successful! LOL
Good luck bro!

Last edited by jddumas; 06-19-2004 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-19-2004, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Used to be a CLK430
Man that really sucks! I'm with the other guys, go back to stock and start over.
Old 06-19-2004, 11:53 AM
TNH

My friend and I did the drop, he is a professional mechanic. We fooled around with a lot of different spring pads, even took the aftermarket stuff out and put it all back in just to make sure the springs were set correctly and the same way all the way around the car.

I am going to go back to stock as you guys suggested. I've got a box full of every single pad #, can anyone tell me what the most common stock set up is on a CLK 430? I know some of them came with different pad #'s, I'm just wondering what I should start with to go completely stock again.
Old 06-19-2004, 11:57 AM
TNH

Re: Unless there's a new number,

Originally posted by allenjdmb
H&R does not offer a kit with matched shocks for the W208. Springs only. Check the part numbers on your spring kit against the H&R web page. It's on the side of your box, and on the spring itself. Maybe this is the nature of your problem?
Here's the description from Evosport's site-
Cup Kit
In their endless quest to ensure the ultimate driving performance, H&R introduces their new cup-kit suspensions. Every kit is a specifically matched shock and spring set, distinctively designed to provide aggressive performance and sleek-styling in one, ready-to-go package
Old 06-19-2004, 12:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The cup kit IS a matched set of springs and shocks. Taken from H&R's website:

H&R Cup Kits are an ideal solution for those that want aggressive looks and impressive handling at an affordable price. H&R's Cup Kits are specially engineered from the ground up with custom-designed springs and shocks that are developed together to work in perfect harmony.

Unlike competitors spring and shock kits, H&R Cup Kits are not merely a 'matched' spring and shock package, but rather a specially engineered 'solution' with springs and shocks being engineered individually in every application. This takes the guess work out of your spring and shock selection, and provides you with an application specific, precisely calibrated spring and shock set designed to deliver improved handling, uncompromised ride comfort and sleek styling in one precision engineered package.
Old 06-19-2004, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally posted by jddumas
I may let Chappy be the lab rat and see how his turns out and then do mine if it's successful! LOL
Good luck bro!
Ha ha.....

I guess it's time to reserve my room over at the Yerkes Research Center
Old 06-19-2004, 06:48 PM
Almost a Member!

clk 320
Man, I think this is the worst case I have ever heard of.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL 500
Re: Unless there's a new number,

You are wrong. H&R Cup Kit does offer matching springs and shocks for the W208. I bought mine from tirerack. Please view their corporate website ..

"&R Cup Kits are an ideal solution for those that want aggressive looks and impressive handling at an affordable price. H&R's Cup Kits are specially engineered from the ground up with custom-designed springs and shocks that are developed together to work in perfect harmony. "

--
I have had this cup kit with no issues for one year now.

Amer
Old 06-21-2004, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Then I stand corrected...

this wasn't available when I bought my 208 stuff. Who makes the shocks?
Old 06-21-2004, 11:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL 500
Re: Then I stand corrected...

this wasn't available when I bought my 208 stuff. Who makes the shocks?
Allen
I believe HR also makes the shocks. Attached is their promotional shot of the cup kit.

Amer

Old 06-22-2004, 11:16 AM

Re: Re: Then I stand corrected...

Originally posted by djamer
Allen
I believe HR also makes the shocks. Attached is their promotional shot of the cup kit.

Amer

BTW, that is NOT even close to how the W208 cupkit looks like. Just an FYI to those who may think it is

Rob
Old 06-22-2004, 08:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
amer, the cup kit is NOT made for the 430 or 55! just for the 320 (which you have). The difference being the engine weight so the car sits differently. I also have the H&R cup kit on my 430 but its not made for the 430.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:20 PM

SLK32
That sux. Sorry to hear about all your problems. But...

1) Running 19's you have a shorter sidewall and are more suseptible to damage.

2) I am not surprised you have problems with the H&R. Most people on the board will disagree with me. But I have heard and seen lots of problems with H&R. Between stock & H&R, I personally would stick with stock.

3) I hope you had you suspension checked out after your adventure. It is not all that difficult to damage components. I also hope you had an alignment done as soon as your car was driveable.

Good luck with everything.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
If it's any consolation, I appear to be un-even on the lowering. I am running #2 spring pads all the way around, with Brabus springs on stock shocks.

Honestly, the lowering is nice, but a little on the conservative (high) side. I am pretty comfortable with the ride quality on the stock 17s.

I look to keep the same springs and maybe go with Bilsteins if I get 19 inch rims.

Perhaps you should switch to Brabus?